Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2002 11:36:04 PM EDT
Is it feasible to have the crude park job on my SAR removed and have the whole thing blued? What should I expect to pay to have this done..?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 1:36:03 AM EDT
Good question.  I thought about the same thing awhile back.  

How about it 'Smiths ???
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 4:16:19 AM EDT
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:40:33 PM EDT
Now some of you here might slap me but I used Alumahyde (sp) from Brownell's on mine. They both turned out well enough to get plenty of compliments at the range. Definately looks better than out-of-the-box!
Link Posted: 12/31/2002 12:58:48 PM EDT
My SAR appears to have a bead blasted blued finish, not a parkerized finish.

This could be easily removed with naval jelly but to what end I don't know.

I recommend you consider having it truly parkerized as opposed to that scratchy rough bluing on it now.
Link Posted: 1/1/2003 12:49:11 PM EDT
I'm in the middle of completely refinishing my SAR-2 right now.  I stripped the wood and am using Red Mohogany stain and tung oil, which looks prety good.  For the metal I decided to use low gloss black engine paint I bought at Wal-mart for about $6.  I used it to refinish the bottom of my reciever on the Saiga I converted and it came out great.  I fugured now I'd try it on a whole rifle.  I painted it yesterday and it's hanging up in the basement curing right now.  It looks like the deep satin finish that's on a Vepr.  I'll bake it in the oven after a few days and see how it does.
Top Top