Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/17/2003 4:59:30 AM EDT
I need some, cause everything in my safe is black, and my SAR1 sticks out like a ...

like a....

Romanian SAR1.

Where can I find black furniture (handguards and buttstock)?  Is it legal?  There's that 5 US parts rule...I know nothing about that, like most AK owners of world.  It goes "BOOM" everytime I pull that sweet sweet RSA trigger.

I'm NOT an AK guru, so please, help a brotha out.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:28:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to k-var.com. SAR stocks are US pistol grips and foreign wood. Leave the black US grip, get the cheaper black Bulgarian set, and you are good.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:35:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep,KVAR is the way to go.  RS39 and I must be on the same wavelenght.  I used a Bulgarian set(left the SAR pistol grip on) and saved a little money, and kept my parts count OK.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:40:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Not to try and change your mind off of "black", but I recently purchased a "Walnut" stock set from here and after multiple coats of Tung Oil and sanding and re-coating, (or whatever finish you might choose) they are real beauties.

My dad's comments were "the stock is nicer than the rifle", he's not a big AK fan, but loved the finished stock set. I do too, worth a look.

www.ironwooddesigns.com/2Aprodpage/1products.html

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#4]
excellent, thanks guys!  I'll keep the pistol grip and get a synthetic stock and forend.

I'll head to Kvar.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#5]
KVar's website?  Can't find it on the boards or using the search.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:10:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:51:10 AM EDT
[#7]
My SAR1 is wearing the Plum set from K-Var. My SAR2 is now wearing the Black set from K-var. Wish I had a camera! Very sweet looking.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:22:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:43:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Not to change the nature of the thread but, why would you not want to use the pistol grip that comes with most furniture sets, aside from the extra cost?

For example, I plan on getting a OD Green set from K-VAR and I am planning on using the green pistol grip that comes with it.  Is there something wrong with that idea?  Does it have something to do with the number of US parts?  I am not up to speed on the necessary part counts needed in a SAR and what it means.  

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Not to change the nature of the thread but, why would you not want to use the pistol grip that comes with most furniture sets, aside from the extra cost?

For example, I plan on getting a OD Green set from K-VAR and I am planning on using the green pistol grip that comes with it.  Is there something wrong with that idea?  Does it have something to do with the number of US parts?  I am not up to speed on the necessary part counts needed in a SAR and what it means.  

Thanks for the info!

Stock SAR-1s from Century come with a U.S. black synthetic pistol grip.  It works fine.  Not much point in replacing it with the nearly identical K-Var grip if you're staying with black synthetic furniture.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#11]
www.facamerica.com/043.asp

Best price for Bulgarian stock set- $63.95
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My SAR1 is wearing the Plum set from K-Var. My SAR2 is now wearing the Black set from K-var. Wish I had a camera! Very sweet looking.

Just how 'purple' is the K-Var plum furniture?  The pics on their website make the plum to appear basically the same as black.  Their pic for the brown Bulgy polymer mags look much darker than the actual mags that I received.  I'm considering ordering a US plum pistol grip as part of my conversion of my ROMAK2....unless somebody starts making a USA red/brown marble Romanian knock-off grip.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 12:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
But I am planning on replacing the pistol grip if I get an OD Green stock set.  I was just curious if changing the pistol grip affected the US parts count or anything because I am not up to speed on what all the part count stuff means.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm hunting for a good picture. This one is not mine but it is the K-Var Plum set.

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Go look at these in the Romanian forum

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=58708

Link Posted: 12/17/2003 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But I am planning on replacing the pistol grip if I get an OD Green stock set.  I was just curious if changing the pistol grip affected the US parts count or anything because I am not up to speed on what all the part count stuff means.

Swapping a US Century pistol grip for the K-Var US pistol grip does not change the parts count.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Go look at these in the Romanian forum

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=79&t=58708

Very nice!  One problem though....I was just thinking about getting a plum grip & using a US wood stock with the stock laminated handguards.  Now I'm seriously considering going all plum polymer..$$$$$$$  Maybe I should just buy another AK so I can have both wood & plum....the black & OD green polymer don't really appeal to me.  If only somebody made a US version of the East German red/brown pebble grain furniture....
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#18]
No problem changing out the pistol grip if you are going with a KVAR OD set-the entire set is American made.

The suggestion was made to buy a Bulgarian set and use the Century pistol grip to save a little coin.-roughly 20 or 30 dollars depending on what is on sale.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top