Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/19/2007 10:30:36 AM EDT
Accessory questions re: Bipods

I was taught a long, long time ago that the most accurate firing position for a rifle man was the prone position, with the proper cheek weld, shoulder brace, and properly wrapped sling.

I am attempting to see how much accuracy I can wring out of a Saiga .308 off the shelf for as little money as possible.   The only things I have done or am doing are: leaving the stock stock, adding a lace on cheek pad, low rise scope mount and Tasco 6-24 x40 scope, polishing areas of metal to metal wear, and hand loading Lake City brass with 147 gr FMJ BT bullets. The trigger is now very smooth and crisp.  The travel is long.

I tried a skeleton stock by RAA and didn't like it, so I wasted $75.00 there.  Total new investment so far is under $470.  The only stuff bought new was the rifle and stock mentioned above.  Everything else I previously owned, scrounged, or got off E-bay.

Does a bipod add anything or is it a tacti-cool accessory?

If it does add to accuracy, is a stock mount, Weaver mount, or barrel mount better?  I have heard both ways about a barrel mount.

Are sandbags better?

I know to really find out, I need to test me, my rifle, and my loads under all of the above condiditions, but if someone wiser and more experienced has anything to add I'm open to suggestion.  I'm the perfect example of someone who has read a lot, but experienced little. (I'm trying to fix that by joining this board!)

This is whay it looks like with the skelton stock on it and an old barrel clamp bipod.

Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2007 4:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply.  The clamp-on bipod will come off.  I am going to work with sand bags for now. That fits into the overall " do the most with least" plan before I try the other bipod.  I appreciate the link

The scope has cross hairs so I'll print up some + and diamond targets and give those a try at 50 and 100 yards.  That's the max range I have available to me right now.

Here's another beginner question:  When you talk about harmonics, does the barrel actually vibrate like a sine wave? Is the wave from aft to forward and up and down?  Or from side to side?  Is there any way to dampen it or is it a good thing that can be improved? Other than not interfering with it?

I think I have been unconsciously pre loading the trigger as you recommended.  I'll take up the slack, take a breath, settle in, let out half a breath, and give the trigger the last little squeeze.

DocV
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 5:20:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
What would be a good .22 to set up as a "training aid" ?  Ruger 10/22.  Marlin?  One of the older mag fed Marlins?

DocV
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top