Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/21/2003 3:08:06 PM EDT
I got my SAR-1 after spending too much time at this web site. I have to say that I am pleased with the rifle overall but I think that the sights suck. I was wondering if anyone makes a rear peep sight that mounts to the dust cover. I have seen those rear sight replacements and I don't want to go that route. Is a Krinkov dust cover the same size as a standard AK? It looks a little shorter to me but I have never seen one in person. One way or another I would like some better sights. I would appreciate advice from anyone that can give it.

Rob

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Dust cover mounted sights tend to not hold zero very well and most people do not like them.

Personally I replaced my rear sights with a Mojo, and a Krebs custom peep.  They work very well. I know you said you did not want to go this route, bt it is worth a second thought.

Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:17:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I wonder if the dust cover and sights from a Valmet would fit? If it would I wonder where I would locate one?

Rob
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Just measured the dust cover from my 5.45 krink and my 74, same size.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:05:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I got my SAR-1 after spending too much time at this web site.

What do you consider too much time?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:15:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Rear dust covers are really hard to get stable and repeatable zeros. I like Obers Krebs peep, as it frames the front sight hoop well also to make framing the whole sight picture very natural.
Or there are some very good AK optics you can mount for not a lot of money.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:43:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dust cover mounted sights tend to not hold zero very well and most people do not like them.

Personally I replaced my rear sights with a Mojo, and a Krebs custom peep.  They work very well. I know you said you did not want to go this route, bt it is worth a second thought.

Does anyone have a pic to post of the Mojo or Krebs custom site??? Thanks WD
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:53:31 AM EDT
[#7]
MOJO

Krebs
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Mbsk01 (anyone),
I'm following this topic too and considering one of these sights for my SAR-2.  Do you have a preference for which one is best ??

5sub
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:10:59 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Mbsk01 (anyone),
I'm following this topic too and considering one of these sights for my SAR-2.  Do you have a preference for which one is best ??

5sub

Sorry, the only thing I personally know is where to find pictures of said items.

OTOH- RSA isn't known to make anything poor, and I like to patronize our site supporters.

my .02
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:40:48 AM EDT
[#10]
These sights look better than the williams sights that I have seen on AK and SKSes in the past but I would still prefer something along the lines of a valmet or a krinkov. Does anyone know if either one has a dust cover that would interchange with a SAR?

Rob
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I found a HADAR rear cover with a peep sight a couple of years back. It works good for quick short range work, for me I can shoot better at a 100 with it than I can the stock AK sights.
I fit it to a SAR-1 I have, it took just a little filing and tweaking here and there. The HADAR was a sporter version of a Galil. Good luck finding one.

Consider buying a good side mount like the KV-04 from K-VAR and mounting a low power shotgun type scope, 2X or less. I did this also and I like even better than the HADAR rig.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:53:08 AM EDT
[#12]
I like both the Mojo and the Krebs, but I like the Krebs better.

The Mojo is a solid chunk of steel, and once set in place it stays there.  It has a nice sight picture, but is not a good "combat" sight.
I think it is good ad a hunting type sight.

The Krebs is just like the origional military sight except it has a peep instead of the notch.
It is a very well made peace and is range adjustable.  No sight-in is required like the Mojo.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:58:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The HADAR was a sporter version of a Galil. Good luck finding one.

Yep, I had one LNIB - actually a preban gun as I recall.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:59:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Global Trades is supposed to have an RPK style adjustable leaf with a peep sight soon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I saw this one on Krebs' website:

Dont' know how it would look on an AK (seems it would look kinda dumb).
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I wonder how you would mount it to the dust cover. Looks like you would have to drill and tap it but the cover can't be thick enough to do that.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 12:28:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Maybe it replaces the standard rear sight?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 12:30:45 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I like both the Mojo and the Krebs, but I like the Krebs better.

The Mojo is a solid chunk of steel, and once set in place it stays there.  It has a nice sight picture, but is not a good "combat" sight.
I think it is good ad a hunting type sight.

The Krebs is just like the origional military sight except it has a peep instead of the notch.
It is a very well made peace and is range adjustable.  No sight-in is required like the Mojo.

Ober (anyone-who-knows),
Do both RSA and Krebs use the existing front sight ??
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I have a Krebs M3A that came with the dust cover mounted M16 style peep sight. It is held in place by allen style set screw through the lug on the end of the recoil spring. I have found that it returns top zero reliably after removal for cleaning. The only downside I am aware of is that you need an allen key to take the rifle down to clean it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:16:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Would it be feasable to use a peep site mounted to a weaver scope mount (via side rail)? Or is this just way too stupid and i dont realize it?
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:38:06 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ober (anyone-who-knows),

yes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 5:39:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Would it be feasable to use a peep site mounted to a weaver scope mount (via side rail)? Or is this just way too stupid and i dont realize it?

It would be overly complicated (not stupid).
Not to mention your front sight would be way to low.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 6:23:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ober (anyone-who-knows),

yes.

Then the Krebs it will be - for me !
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 3:40:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top