Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/6/2006 1:00:08 PM EDT
I have pretty large/wide hands and after shooting both my AR and AK today it became VERY obvious I need a different grip. I have the Magpul MIAD on my AR with the largest backstrap and it fits me perfectly. Anything like this for the AK?

I found the ErgoGrip for the AK but they're pretty slim on the AR model. Anyone tried one of these on the AK?
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 2:08:40 PM EDT
Might try one of the SAW grips they are pretty chubby

www.MidwestArmory.com
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
I have the SAW grip on my FAL and really like it. I think the one made for an AK is just a bit smaller but should be big enough for you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:11:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 11:13:01 AM EDT by -x-]
+1 for the SAW grip. I have it on my AK and it fills my hand much better then a traditional grip.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:51:47 AM EDT
I actually prefer the original FN SAW grip removed from service. A guy in New York @ SIR PLUS SUPPLY sells them. He has (2) distinct styles, one the originals have 9 slots on the side the the newer originals have 10 slots. The 9 slot ones are made of a type of hard rubber and the new ones are made of the material the Tapco copies are made from. Good stuff, just harder plastic material then the 9 slot models.

Anyway he sells these for $10 each and a new door assy. made of blackened stainless steel with black pin and spring wire is only $8. So for $18 you get an original FN SAW grip made in the USA. Now the grips come used and a bit scuffed up. I know for a fact the 9 slot hard rubber model the scuffs can be sanded out of those really easily with a sanding pad. I have purchased 2 of them, one for the FAL and one for my M70 AK.

To fit a real FN SAW grip to an AK or M70 some material inside the grip must be removed. It is better to have a TAPCO AK SAW grip to look inside as a guide while modifying the original grip. The TAPCO copy has a ledge or shelf inside the grip where a rectangular piece of aluminum sits and acts as a washer for the bolt. For the M70 this shelf must be extended towards the back of the grip so the grip nut and grip will line up. I used a sharpened old screwdriver to chip away the plastic to make that shelf longer so the grip nut and grip bolt would line up and tighten up. I used a bolt that was slotted and 2" long from hardware store same size and pitch as a regualr AK grip screw. I used a piece of steel cut into a rectangle to act as a washer on that ledge inside the grip. Even the TAPCO copy must be opened up to make it fit the M70 properly. To clear the M70's grip nut rivets one must notch out the top inside of the grip as well so it will sit down flush with the receiver. Applies to the TAPCO and the real FN grip.

The SAW grips have a much wider footprint that meets the receiver and the 9 slot FN grip has an even wider top/back to it than the TAPCO copy does. Fits the web of the hand much better. Now these grips as received look little rough but I used some sanding pads and that smoothed out all of the light scuff marks and I got it down to using steel wool to finish the sanding so it would be smooth. I then used some STP Son of a Gun Low gloss protectant. Similar to ArmorALL but in a lo-gloss formula. Man those grips just soaked up that protectant and went from a scuffed look to that wet tire look without the gloss! Nice and black looking. Soaked up that stuff like my FAL buttstock did. Anyway I am very happy with the way my grips have turned out. Some argue that they do not look right on a FAL or an AK. Well, to hell with looks, I use the rifle weekly and this ain't no damn museum piece that needs to stay politically country specific and correct. The SAW grips just feel better in the hand than even the Yugo grips and most certainly those cheap hard assed sharp plastic models we find on USA compliant AK's. Here is a pix with my real FN SAW grip on an M70.

Here is a close-up of the grip. Notice the slots and rails on the grip? See how smooth these rails look, not as high and sharply defined as the TAPCO copy's are so it feels better in the hand.

Here is the link to the guys surplus store but you should email him and let him know your preference on the grips, the 9 slot one or the 10 slot one. Don't forget to order the door! I think if you request it he can provide USA documentation verifing the grips are of USA make. He also has some new unissued M60 barrel bags made of rubberized canvas that the M70 will fit like a glove. For $19 brand new that's not a bad deal. Also no BS shipping either, $7.95 UPS ground. I owe this guy nothing but thanks for great service, just passing on some good deals and ideas to fellow members.

SIR PLUS SUPPLY

sirplussupply@NETSCAPE.COM
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:29:29 AM EDT
That looks really nice stargazer!

I bought my Tapco saw grip at a gun show. Don't recall what I paid. HAs to be one of the most comfortable grips out there. One of these days I'll get one for my FAL.

Here's a close up

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:59:16 AM EDT
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:16:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By stargazer111:
Now these grips as received look little rough but I used some sanding pads and that smoothed out all of the light scuff marks and I got it down to using steel wool to finish the sanding so it would be smooth. I then used some STP Son of a Gun Low gloss protectant. Similar to ArmorALL but in a lo-gloss formula. Man those grips just soaked up that protectant and went from a scuffed look to that wet tire look without the gloss! Nice and black looking. Soaked up that stuff like my FAL buttstock did. Anyway I am very happy with the way my grips have turned out.

Does the STP stuff leave any sort of residue on your hands at all?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:40:24 AM EDT
hoohaa, I don't feel any sort of residue as it soaked it up retty good. I put two coats of the stuff on there and it just disappeared.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:39:16 AM EDT
Comrade, the heroic Red workers designed and built your AKM grip.

Your preference for products from the decadent West gives us concern for your political reliability.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 12:29:46 PM EDT
If parts count isn't an issue, the new style Bulgarian grips are nice, especially wih larger hands, as are the SAW grips.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:16:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
I prefer the Ergo, which is pretty much a G3 without the thumb shelf.

If you like the FAL grip, you'll like the Saw.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Is the Ergo for the AK as thin in profile as the AR model?

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:55:28 PM EDT
The old wood AK grips like they used on the old Milled Type III"s are pretty good for big hands. They're definitely thicker than the typical plastic AKM grips.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:59:33 PM EDT
TAPCO grip is the way to go. I wouldn't like my AK nearly as much without a wider pistol grip.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:02:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RangemasterP226:
TAPCO grip is the way to go. I wouldn't like my AK nearly as much without a wider pistol grip.

i7.photobucket.com/albums/y259/RangemasterP226/Rifles/DSC01534.jpg

What AK variant is that ? The gas tube looks a little short.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:08:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bob1984:

What AK variant is that ? The gas tube looks a little short.

Its just a standard Hungarian SA 85M. Nothing fancy, but it is a sweetheart.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:16:30 PM EDT
In my opinion the original AK grip looks way better than all the new ones out there. Although the new ones maybe confier... heheh
They just don't look right to me, I'm no purist though . Plus I have small hands so the original one fits me perfect, remember that most Russians are small ppl!
Top Top