Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2005 6:27:00 PM EDT
Okay, I'm trying to press out the barrel pin of Romy kit - I very carefully put it on my plate, then apply pressure - but it looking like I'm continually bending the gas block.  What's the best method of using a press to get out a stubborn barrel pin?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I've soaked it in anti-seize,  the problem is that it's rolling onto the rear sight block when I apply pressure - I can't even really PUT a lot of pressure on, as the trunnion wobbles and then rolls onto the rear sight block
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#3]
You need this

Curtis will take care of you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Use a small piece of 2x4 under the trunion. Drill a hole in the wood for the pin to go through, flip your sight up and out of the way or take it out. The spring under the rear sight has to be depressed then the sight assembly can be removed.
Soak the pin with Kroil, it works better than any other penetrant. Candyman mentioned applying heat on one side of the sight block/pin and putting the Kroil on the other side. The heat will suck up the oil in the barrel pin hole making it much easier to punch out. I haven't tried it but I believe what socandyman says!
We've had 5 hard ass barrel pins  to drill out on various kits. Three Roms and two AMDs between 8 or 9 guys with 17 oir 18 kits. You get a real beast every so often, almost impossible to punch out with a press even!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top