Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/11/2006 8:05:09 PM EDT
I've got a pretty good collection going on right now but I don't have an AK yet. With fears of a new AWB coming up (probably unfounded, but a worry none the less). I've been thinking of putting off the 1911 I had in mind and getting an AK varient. I can get the CIA Yugo 70B underfolder with transfer for around $450. Or get the cheap Romanian WASR for around $350. Is the Yugo worth the $100 more even though it's not chrome lined? Or should I save up for an Arsenal AK or similar. Appreciate advice from the AK gurus.
Link Posted: 10/11/2006 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I've got a pretty good collection going on right now but I don't have an AK yet. With fears of a new AWB coming up (probably unfounded, but a worry none the less). I've been thinking of putting off the 1911 I had in mind and getting an AK varient. I can get the CIA Yugo 70B underfolder with transfer for around $450. Or get the cheap Romanian WASR for around $350. Is the Yugo worth the $100 more even though it's not chrome lined? Or should I save up for an Arsenal AK or similar. Appreciate advice from the AK gurus.

yugo over the wasr. if you fear a ban, just get a credit card and buy all you can
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 3:33:21 AM EDT
[#2]
If WASR's were the only AK's made, I think I'd pass altogether.

I know, I know, they do what they're made to do.

But damn, they're ugly.

Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the underfolder. They are a GREAT investment, and a hell of a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 4:49:51 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

+1

I think the Arsenal is worth saving up for. It probably won't be long before they introduce their AK-103 clone (which will probably have the poly folder) and their AKM.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 9:23:37 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the underfolder. They are a GREAT investment.

How do you figure?
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

they look like every other fixed stock ak jeeze, enough with the wasr bashing already. i have one and its pretty damn accurate, has NO trigger slap and has straight sights. let it go.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 1:19:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the underfolder. They are a GREAT investment.

How do you figure?

Should their be another ban like their was in '94, all "no-ban" rifles will go up in value drastically. Especially folders.

Some people, who can justify the addition cost of the Arsenal may be happier with it due to the better quality. That's not saying there's specifically anything wrong with a WASR, but there are better rifles out there, but they must be had for a for a price.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Went ahead and ordered the Yugo underfolder today.I hope I did well. Will know next week. Of course I got a nice RRA to cover the AR scene,and I like my PTR 91. Wasn't really in a hurry on the AK but figured I better get it now before they dry up and if there is even a fart concerning AWB II these type of rifles will jump in price quick.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 2:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got a norinco nhm90 for 400.00 at gunshow, better built than most euro or kit guns that I have seen. Plus 30.00 in parts US slant brake, mag base plate, follower and a band saw for butt hole stock( these were US maufactue) and you got a pistol grip AK.
Link Posted: 10/12/2006 3:02:46 PM EDT
[#11]
+ one for aresenal - also check the Vector - made on Bulgy parts - and have a very good warranty.  I have one of each (milled Arsenal and Stamped Vector), Arsenal is nicer - but at a little over half the price - the Vector is a hell of a deal with a 5 year warranty.
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#12]
What's the scoop on the Yugo underfolder that AIM Surplus is selling for $420? I got a mailer that simply says it has an American made reciever and bbl. Who makes these? I live close enough that I may just drive down there this weekend to see one (buy one?).
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 11:25:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Oops! DT
Link Posted: 10/13/2006 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#14]
It's the same rifle I asked at the beginning of this thread and that I bought. Didn't buy from Aim though. In my Aim flyer they are $430, which ain't bad. At the gunshows if one turns up they are $500 or more.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 1:58:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

I agree with the looks Dixiedawg. But the great thing about the rommies is they are so ugly you don't mind banging it around alittle. I some AK's I swear I would CRY if they fell over and got banged up. LOL. WarDawg
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:36:09 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

they look like every other fixed stock ak jeeze, enough with the wasr bashing already. i have one and its pretty damn accurate, has NO trigger slap and has straight sights. let it go.

Either you are blind or haven't handled many AKs. They will run (most of the time), but fit and finish are NOT even close with high quality AKs such as Veprs, Arsenals, Saigas etc. Even Chinese rifles are much nicer than WASRs.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 5:40:13 AM EDT
[#17]
I worked in a gunstore in AZ, I would have to tell people to send their wasrs back everytime they brought em in with problems.
I went through twenty and couldnt get one good handpick.
In the years prior, I bought multiple wasrs, and sold them all off due to them being utter crap.
DO NOT GET A WASR!
Dont let the talk of how they shoot sub moa, have no cant or mag wobble, or a fine weapons from the internet people fool you, they are the bottom of the barrel.
Save and get a arsenal, or at least go up a few rungs and get a SAR, but only after you inspect it.
WASR
What a sucky rifle
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 6:54:29 AM EDT
[#18]
The finish on the WASR rifles is like it was done with a Hershey bar.
Buy a Yugo UF. You'll like it. Your friends will like it.
You'll be cool
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Since the original poster already ordered a yugo underfolder this won't apply to him.

I would recommend ordering a good parts kit from Copes, and then sending it off to MCA.  MCA will do a custom build, not an assembly line build.  MCA is very good at what they do.  They are backed up with orders, because they build one AK at a time.  MCA will do it right.  It may take longer than just ordering one complete, but the wait is worth what you get.  Trust me, I know.  I'm very happy with the build I have.  The key is to get a good parts kit.  I got mine from Copes.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#20]
I think the best bang for your buck right now are the Romanian parts kits. Add your DCI or AUSA receiver your 922r compliance parts a decent smith and for around $400-$450 you have a excellent made AK.

Link Posted: 10/14/2006 3:38:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the best VALUE on the market right now is an unconverted Saiga for $230-$240. Easy and inexpensive to convert, leaving you with a real Russian AK around $400.
Link Posted: 10/14/2006 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I think the best VALUE on the market right now is an unconverted Saiga for $230-$240. Easy and inexpensive to convert, leaving you with a real Russian AK around $400.

+100.
Got one in the pipe right now being converted...
Link Posted: 10/15/2006 10:42:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Where can you find these and are they a kit or complete rifle? I would love to have a Russian to match my Russian SKS.

I have not read anything about AK's for about a year and I forgot everything that I had read.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 10:46:56 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked up a Yugo underfolder from AIM surplus today. I had to pay sales tax because I live in Ohio. About $460 total.

Fit and finish is excellent on my rifle. Real nice looking gun! I've got a case of ammo, but no time to shoot tonight. I'll have to wait another day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 2:29:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I hated the stock furniture so I swapped it out, I could smooth out a mill mark or two on the metal, prep and refinish it too but it's honestly not that bad and I bought it as a beater anyway. I hand picked mine from a table of five or ten. None had any sight cant or gas block issues. Some were looser than others in the mag well but other than that they all looked fine. The main thing is this...it's been every bit as reliable as my other AK that costs over twice the price. Is the finish as nice? Nope. Has it ever failed to feed, fire or eject? Nope.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats Dead Nuts. If you have a chance post a pic, I won't get mine till the end of the week. Glad yours looks fine, I bet it shoots good too.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 2:49:13 PM EDT
[#27]
the BEST AK to get now is unquestionably the YUGO UF, period.

all the EVIL DEMONIC features thatll make the gun shoot thru the roof in price when it dries up.

AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BEING A SBR CLASS III

EVIL UNDERFOLDER

BEEFY SUPERTHICK 1.65mm RECIEVER

NEW US MADE BARREL

CURRENTLY GOING UP AND UP IN PRICE,,,,,BUT STILL A FAR FAR FAR BETTER DEAL THAN  THAT "other" AK UNDERFOLDER MADE BY X I WONT MENTION...
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
the BEST AK to get now is unquestionably the YUGO UF, period.

all the EVIL DEMONIC features thatll make the gun shoot thru the roof in price when it dries up.

AS SHORT AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT BEING A SBR CLASS III

EVIL UNDERFOLDER

BEEFY SUPERTHICK 1.65mm RECIEVER

NEW US MADE BARREL

CURRENTLY GOING UP AND UP IN PRICE,,,,,BUT STILL A FAR FAR FAR BETTER DEAL THAN  THAT "other" AK UNDERFOLDER MADE BY X I WONT MENTION...

"Best" is a matter of opinion. I agree they are good deals if you want an underfolder, and yes the price will rise in the future. But not everyone thinks an underfolder is the best configuration for a rifle. They don't come close to a side folder. Personally I like a fixed stock most of all, or a 100 series side folder.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I've got a couple of side folders and I do agree they are more stable but they lack the CDI factor that underfolders do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:05:33 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

Either you are blind or haven't handled many AKs. They will run (most of the time), but fit and finish are NOT even close with high quality AKs such as Veprs, Arsenals, Saigas etc. Even Chinese rifles are much nicer than WASRs.

reading comprehension isnt your strong suit is it? i didnt say they had the same quality, i said they LOOK like every other fixed stock AK. if its got all wood, it looks the same except from color. i dont understand why people bash the wasr... because its cheap? as long as it shoots, parts dont fall off and it does its job, its a good gun. so like i said, THEY LOOK like any other fixed stock ak, excluding the thumb holed stocks, dragunonv's, saigas without pistol grips, you get the idea.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

reading comprehension isnt your strong suit is it? i didnt say they had the same quality, i said they LOOK like every other fixed stock AK. if its got all wood, it looks the same except from color. i dont understand why people bash the wasr... because its cheap? as long as it shoots, parts dont fall off and it does its job, its a good gun. so like i said, THEY LOOK like any other fixed stock ak, excluding the thumb holed stocks, dragunonv's, saigas without pistol grips, you get the idea.

I read it, and then highlighted it. I understood it. And NO they do not LOOK like every other fixed stock AK because the shitty fit and finish make them LOOK cheap and UGLY which is what dixiedawg said that drew your assanine response in the first place (remember, you quoted him and responded to his comment about them being UGLY). Like I said, either you are blind, or haven't handled many AKs.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#32]
How about this....from a distance greater than 20 feet, if you squint and have the sun in your eyes the profile of the WASR is the same as any other AK of the same setup.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 6:31:07 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
How about this....from a distance greater than 20 feet, if you squint and have the sun in your eyes the profile of the WASR is the same as any other AK of the same setup.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

I read it, and then highlighted it. I understood it. And NO they do not LOOK like every other fixed stock AK because the shitty fit and finish make them LOOK cheap and UGLY which is what dixiedawg said that drew your assanine response in the first place (remember, you quoted him and responded to his comment about them being UGLY). Like I said, either you are blind, or haven't handled many AKs.

i have 20/12 vision, far from blind. they look like every fixed stock ak... dude, i dont understand how you arent comprehending this phrase. a fixed stock is a fixed stock, color and detail aside. i dont care about quality, i care about function. a fixed stock ak is a fixed stock ak. dont be snotty because its not 'high quality' if it shoots day in and day out, thats all that matters. no where once did i mention quality, you did. a fixed stock such as wasr's have all look the same(if they are the same type as the wasr's). color and quality aside.

besides the wood color, the general outline looks the same. check this for reference on pics. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=95&t=72772
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
i have 20/12 vision, far from blind. they look like every fixed stock ak... dude, i dont understand how you arent comprehending this phrase. a fixed stock is a fixed stock, color and detail aside. i dont care about quality, i care about function. a fixed stock ak is a fixed stock ak. dont be snotty because its not 'high quality' if it shoots day in and day out, thats all that matters. no where once did i mention quality, you did. a fixed stock such as wasr's have all look the same(if they are the same type as the wasr's). color and quality aside.

besides the wood color, the general outline looks the same. check this for reference on pics. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=95&t=72772

Man, calm down, it's just the fucking internet. I'm sure your vision is fine. I actually said "fit and finish".  You responded to dixiedawg's comment about the WASR being UGLY. You disputed that fact, saying they all look the same. WRONG. Because of "fit and finish" they do not all look the same. I can't help it if your pee-pee shriveled up because someone criticized your WASR. Now you "let it go". Let's not hi-jack this thread with an argument. If you have a problem just IM me, we can work it out ourselves. Hell, we're local to each other.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:51:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Yep, I also have a better made one and I like it.  I like my yugo underfolder but heck.....It's a yugo underfolder.

Quoted:

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

Link Posted: 10/16/2006 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#37]
I paid 5 something at a gunshow and don't regret it.  It kicks booty.  Dph arms are cool.

Quoted:
It's the same rifle I asked at the beginning of this thread and that I bought. Didn't buy from Aim though. In my Aim flyer they are $430, which ain't bad. At the gunshows if one turns up they are $500 or more.
Link Posted: 10/16/2006 9:49:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

the general outline looks the same. check this for reference on pics. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=95&t=72772

And thats the excuse the cops use to shoot unarmed people all the time....I guess Garands And m1 carbines are the same guns too? Cause they look the same....Hell, To some people SKSs and AKs look the same....I call those people "News reporters" and "Liberals" Due to their ignorance of guns....Which is what I would call the complete statement from which I highlighted the phrase above.......Sure thier general outline is the same....But if your gonna judge a gun By its shadow.......Then it doesnt matter what fit finish price or country its from......
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 1:27:14 AM EDT
[#39]
ok ok, jaak and everybody lets just calm down now,ht. if it seems that im hi-jackin this i appologize edit: 762bodydropper, what about you??, lol anyone else in the atl???
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 3:10:05 AM EDT
[#40]
his I'll throw a little in the fire, my father has a single stack WASR10 and it looks like what a gun would look like if you gave it to a "special needs" preschooler to build. With that said it eats cheap Commie ammo like there's no tomorrow. I hope my Yugo is just as reliable.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
ok ok, jaak and everybody lets just calm down now, jaak if im not mistaken you bought your wasr 10 just a few months ago and is very proud and happy of your new ak, good for ya man. damn i hate when ppl fight on here, yall pretty much like my gun buddies beccuase everyone else i know thinks im crazy when i talk ak. BiggerStick47 and jaak, what part of ga yall stay in??? my permenent house is in woodstock, but im in college at university of west ga in carrollton. maybe we could meet up some time and chill, im up for it, only got one other friend thats into firearms. if it seems that im hi-jackin this i appologize

edit: 762bodydropper, what about you??, lol anyone else in the atl???

I'm in Woodstock too. Shoot me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Saiga
Link Posted: 10/17/2006 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
ok ok, jaak and everybody lets just calm down now, jaak if im not mistaken you bought your wasr 10 just a few months ago and is very proud and happy of your new ak, good for ya man. damn i hate when ppl fight on here, yall pretty much like my gun buddies beccuase everyone else i know thinks im crazy when i talk ak. BiggerStick47 and jaak, what part of ga yall stay in??? my permenent house is in woodstock, but im in college at university of west ga in carrollton. maybe we could meet up some time and chill, im up for it, only got one other friend thats into firearms. if it seems that im hi-jackin this i appologize

edit: 762bodydropper, what about you??, lol anyone else in the atl???

Fury, I live in douglasville, And also go to school in Carrolton at West Central Tech. Shoot me an IM maybe we cen get together and have lunch some day. What part of carrolton do you live in? Have you checked out the GA hometown? Theres quite a few of hometown guys from the west side of "The ATL"
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 2:32:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Finally got to shoot the new AK today. The weather was nasty so, simple function checking and rough sighting was all I accomplished. Everything functioned flawlessly and it made nice little groups at 150' (that's all I had today). The wood isn't great, but it matches. Nothing seems canted or crooked. From all that I've read, I was expecting a nice gun (especially for $430), and that's exactly what I got.

But I was greatly surprised by one aspect of this gun. It has, by far, the very best trigger I've ever gotten on an AK.

No pictures yet, the camera is packed away. I'm leaving for SC in the morning. I already have a couple of handguns packed but I think I'll take the Yugo too. The range I talked with will allow it, but their max. range is 75 yards. Oh well, I'll at least I'll get to wring it out for accuracy. I'll post pics when I get back.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

But damn, they're ugly.

Ugly's half the point

My WASR is REAL ugly.  Nasty.  Looks like a hunk of shit.  IS a hunk of shit.  And it's a supreme testiment to the Kalashnikov design.

I tend to think that spending ridiculous amounts of money refinishing and accessorizing them is missing the point.  Function over form.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 7:38:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Will someone please tell me WHERE you can get the Yugo underfolder?  Century International Arms web site says "contact your local dealer".  

Instant mail me sellers if you know any.  I checked AIM Surplus.com  not listed now.

thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 12:41:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I think Southern Ohio Gunworks has them. Or at least they did. I am going to order one this week if they still have them at around 400$. I was at the Tulsa show last week and they were asking as much as 675$. The cheapest one I found there was 465$.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 7:30:26 AM EDT
[#49]
Alright the fighting has settled down now, but if it happens again just make a trip to ATL and we can all drink some cold beer he then drink a few more beers and live happily ever after.   As for the AK's I just bought a Yugo underfolder and am very happy with it.  I also plan to get a fixed stock and am currently looking to build an AMD-65 kit as a pistol.  Well hope you enjoy your Yugo I know I do.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:47:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Alright the fighting has settled down now, but if it happens again just make a trip to ATL and we can all drink some cold beer put on the boxing gloves settle it then drink a few more beers and live happily ever after.   As for the AK's I just bought a Yugo underfolder and am very happy with it.  I also plan to get a fixed stock and am currently looking to build an AMD-65 kit as a pistol.  Well hope you enjoy your Yugo I know I do.

mx918mx,

When you build the AMD-65 as a pistol, I'd love to shoot it!  I'm in the ATL area and I'll bring the ammo!

They're probably good for nothing, but I'm dying to shoot an AK pistol for some stupid reason    
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top