Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:01:37 PM EDT
Well I have taken to buying up a few kits here and there, but have decided to 'invest' in about $500 in parts kits purely for an investment to make money two or three years down the road by selling it/them. FYI I already have three Romy AK kits stashed away, which will undoubtedly affect the poll results...

I have narrowed it down to four options:

Romanian RPK (non-matching #'s) kit + 1 Romy AK kit

Yugo RPK kit w/excellent bore

Five Romanian AK kits (already have 3 spare ones stashed away)

Three Romanian AK kits and two Yugo AK (dark bore) kits

One thing I would like to do is spread out my investments a bit.  The Romy AK kits seem like the best bang for the buck, but I already have 3 spare ones for an investment.

Any opinions/comments/suggestions are welcome.  I also am willing to listen as to why some other types of AK parts kits would be a better investment (Polish underfolders anyone? ) but would like to limit my selection to 7.62x39 AK type weapons for various reasons (in case I build up a kit or two I already have ammo, no need to get another caliber).

ANyhow, let the comments begin
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would say the Krink kits would be a good investment as well...

HK
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:05:22 PM EDT
[#2]
krink kits are waaaaaayy overpriced now. nobodys beating down the doors at orf like they were 5 months ago. The best bargains now are the romys. very well made except for the stocks, and a few hours work on the stocks will improve their looks dramatically. or just switch out to another stock set, as most ak furniture will fit, unlike with the yugo.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I would say the Krink kits would be a good investment as well...

HK

Smart man!

other at top of vote
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Bump for nigth crew

IMHO, Krink kits have already overvalued, i.e. whatever money that was to be made on them already has been made.  I personally think that five $99 kits will value quicker than one $500+ kit.  The exception to this (I hope) is that the RPK kits will quickly go up in value once "correct" receivers are available.  

And of course any kit that dumps in price will just end up becoming another gun in my locker.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#6]
But what you can build from a Krink kit is worth more than just about anything Romy
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:45:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
But what you can build from a Krink kit is worth more than just about anything Romy

True enough.  But one aspect of my kit purcahsing is that I would like the kit to be potentially useful to me, and being I live in a non SBR state, a Krink really is nothing more than an overpriced pistol or a rifle with too short of a sight raidus and too much weight on the muzzle end froma fake supressor.

I also should point out I am not a manufacturere, just a speculator, so buildling them up and selling them is a big no-no AFAIK.

I really should have bought one of those kits when I found out about the group buy last Feb- $440 shipped!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#8]
I love when people say....

I wouldn't want that Krink!

It has a faux suppressor on it!

Yeah.....

I'd hate to own this.

you know what I mean..............lol
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:56:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love an SBR Krink if I were 'priveleged' enough to be 'allowed' to own one in IL.  The cool factor is way beyond a basic underfolder.  I cannot deny that!

But if I am spending $500 on parts kits (which may be more like 1k now..the kits would only have to value $30 in a year to equal the 3% interest I am making on that money in savings so I truly view it as an investment) The RPK still has a ton of cool factor, especially the Yugo ones with that monster barrel.  If the Yugo ones had chrome bores and/or a pork chop stock i wouldn't even think twice about it vs. the Romy kits!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I hear you.

I really want a Yugo underfolder!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hear you.

I really want a Yugo underfolder!

I'll trade you striaght up for the Krink!

Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:24:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Right now krink kits are 600 or so...

Once dist. are out...I think the romy ak kits are more likely to double or triple (2-300$) than the Krinks(would be 12-1800)

The krinks will always be more expensive, but the romy's will go up more percentage wise.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Once dist. are out...I think the romy ak kits are more likely to double or triple (2-300$) than the Krinks(would be 12-1800)

The krinks will always be more expensive, but the romy's will go up more percentage wise.

Kind of my feeling too.  But I would rather bank on several kits going up than put all my eggs in one basket on a single Krink kit.  Besides, there is always the chance a new batch of krinks might make it through and totally dujmp the price on that one kit, whereas I doubt that the Romy kits would ever lose more than $10-20 even if they brought several thousand more.  $99 is damn cheap for any kit, especially ones in 95%+ condition.  Out of the six Romy kits I have bought, two of them were unfired save for a few test rounds- the bolt faces were still black and the bolts and carriers had no noticeable wear!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1 This is why I voted 5 Romys.
If you are looking to make money, buy it cheap and stack it deep.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:25:16 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I chose Yugo RPK with excellent bore.

Please tell me where to find a Yugo RPK w/ excellent bore. I've sent back three now to various vendors and shippings gets expensive to keep trying.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 5:45:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Whatever you get be sure it is of the highest quality and condition.  An excellent condition kit will appreciate in value more than a very good condition kit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I chose Yugo RPK with excellent bore.

Please tell me where to find a Yugo RPK w/ excellent bore. I've sent back three now to various vendors and shippings gets expensive to keep trying.

I have heard very good thinkgs about the kits at Copes Distributing.  Someone also posted a link to akparts.com and they have a handpick on the Yuog kits and have already check the bores and guarnatee them with at leas the "bullet test"

[ETA]  I should point out that ALL of the Yugo kits are going to have some wear in the bore, that is just the nature of the kits, so finding an "excellent" barrel is probably unlikely.

Hmmm...

Well, I think I am leaning towards 3 more Romy kits in addition to the three I have, 2 Yugo fixed stamped kits, and maybe a Krink or an RPK.  I think long term the Krink would be worth more than the RPK, but I think short term the RPKs will value a lot faster (if not as much overall) when the NoDakSpud receivers come out. Maybe I'll get the RPK right now and when I move it pick up a Krink kit with some of the return.

One thing that is really nice about the Romy AK kits is that they are "vanilla" rifles in excellent condition, so they work really, really well for a clone of many other types of AKs.  To me that versatility means that there will be a lot more demand for them in the future than the Yugo kits, although those seem to move like hotcakes too right now.

So no one has even mnetioned Polish underfolders yet...any reason everyone forgot about them?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#19]
I've got three Polish underfolders and two Romys.
I thought the Pol's were a good bargain for their condition and the underfolder and accessory piles that came with them were great too. Not sure if I'll build all three as UF's. I'll do one after I build my first Romy as practice. I love their looks. If I love the way they work as well then all three will be keepers! I'll give them my best efforts in build quality.
My Pol UF from Copes was very good.
The one from SG has a very buffed off finish from carrying, but is VG otherwise.
Got the third on the way from the Ammunition Store. I thought it was a good buy with 4 mags and pouch and bayo and stuff. Supposed to me at least 90% or better. Just $250 shipped. I'll let y'all know how it looks once it arrives.
Depending how that first Romy turns out, I may then sell the AKM I have and put that money into really having fun/doing a great job on the other kits. That'll still leave me with five self built AKM's when done. I don't want to be greedy.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:07:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Sidecar,

Please let me know about the undefolder from Ammunitionstore!  I was going to get a Yugo kit or two from them and if the underfolder looks good I might pick up one of those too.  No one seems to have ordered from them so I was a bit hesitant to geta  kit from them.

Also, did you do the handpick option on the kit?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top