Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/3/2005 11:28:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/3/2005 11:28:35 PM EDT by ARin]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:51:35 PM EDT
Polish folders are nice, if you dont want a folder sell the folder on the ee and put whatever stocks you want on it (you'll need a standard rear trunnion). Tantals are still available but are chambered in 5.45x39 but it is a quality kit that can be assembled into a kickass rifle, Yugos are out there and are top of the line in my opinion, there more work and most have dark bores. If you want something just for play romanians are plenty good and there cheap right now and can make for a great rifle. McM
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:30:37 AM EDT
Buck for buck Romy.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:02:05 AM EDT
Romy kits are damm good, AK snobs (< oxymoron) just like to talk them down to feel better about what they paid for "X" uber rare / super cool kit.

That said the Romy parts made in the 80's when Romania was nearing collapse are definatly rougher than those made in the '70s that I've seen.

I've got 6 AK kits now, 4 of them are Romy and other than an AMD65, I plan on getting only Romanian kits in the future.

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:52:46 AM EDT
There is nothing wrong with the Romy's. I have built almost everything availble in the last several years and the Romy is a great value. The only thing I don't like is the funky front grip handguard.
If you are going to change the furniture anyway I might suggest that the Polish would be the way to go, You could easily trade the folder for a nice polish laminated stock and block.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:52:00 AM EDT
another vote for the romy. i pikced up an amd-65 for only a few bucks more also, that was worth it to me. they look really evil, and thats what i like. it's also pretty unique.

it depends if you are looking for a closet queen or something. i'm not. i like my ak's dirty, gritty, and beat. thats what a romy is. cheap and durable. no worries about the pitted bores of the yugo kit and you've got options to make it into an underfolder with that kit from centerfire if thats your thing.
Top Top