Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/29/2015 10:44:51 AM EDT
A buddy just moved from Marylandistan to West Virginia and he would like to purchase an AK-47 (among numerous other firearms) to celebrate his new found freedom.  What is the best AK deal going right now?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:00:26 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want an AK to just have one - pick up a WASR from multiple vendors selling them.

If you want the "Colt 6920" of the AK world the arsenal Slr-107 is a great choice.

Depends on if you want to spend $500 or $1k. I personally require a combloc barrel and receiver on any AK I own.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you want an AK to just have one - pick up a WASR from multiple vendors selling them.

If you want the "Colt 6920" of the AK world the arsenal Slr-107 is a great choice.

Depends on if you want to spend $500 or $1k. I personally require a combloc barrel and receiver on any AK I own.
View Quote

This...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:43:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with a WASR
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#4]
A new WASR is the best deal around.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:23:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Atlantic has a bunch of VEPRs yet. Very good value for the money
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The new Wasr's are the best yet. Real Romy parts, & the nicest wood I've seen on any Romy gun. Yugo guns are nice too, but they don't have a chrome lined barrel, while the Romy's do.  GARY
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I would buy M92 and convert it to a rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:07:01 PM EDT
[#8]
WASR10s? The same Wasr 10s that are apparently assembled by poorly trained monkeys at Century and have a bad pedigree for canted gas tubes and wobbly magazine fit?

Forgive me, I've been out of the AK game for about a decade now and have no idea how things stack up today. I'm guessing that Century took the hint and started QC inspecting their Romanian offerings now?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, WASR is the way to go at this point. I don't own one, but those that I have seen are fantastic. I do own a recent AES-10B from the same Cugir factory in Romania and it is phenomenal.

Another one to watch would be PSA. They're working through some headspace related issues right now, but there is potential that we could soon see decent AKs based on these rifles for as little as $450 all in.

Currently though, the WASR is unrivaled.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WASR10s? The same Wasr 10s that are apparently assembled by poorly trained monkeys at Century and have a bad pedigree for canted gas tubes and wobbly magazine fit?

Forgive me, I've been out of the AK game for about a decade now and have no idea how things stack up today. I'm guessing that Century took the hint and started QC inspecting their Romanian offerings now?
View Quote

Century never assembled WASR 10s stateside. They have always been produced by Cugir in Romania. Century simply opened the magazine wells and added compliance parts. Yes, the quality has improved drastically.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Century never assembled WASR 10s stateside. They have always been produced by Cugir in Romania. Century simply opened the magazine wells and added compliance parts. Yes, the quality has improved drastically.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm just repeating what I read all those years ago. It's good to hear that the quality has improved, I'll have to go look at one next time I hit the shop.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'm just repeating what I read all those years ago. It's good to hear that the quality has improved, I'll have to go look at one next time I hit the shop.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'll be pleasantly surprised. They're awesome. Now if only Cugir took a hint and added the receiver dimples, we'd have a proper rifle.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input everyone!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an Arsenal fanatic, I do look forward to gaining a WASR.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Are the NPAP and OPAP rifles ok?

After reading this thread I'll probably just get a WASR
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
They are good too. Just no chrome lined barrel.  GARY
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:24:42 PM EDT
[#17]
The NPAP did fail the AK Operators union test recently.

They did the same test on the wasr and it held up. That being said I don't own either but am looking forward to buying a WASR. Even thinking about trading an arsenal for something i can throw around in the mud!
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Why not throw the arsenal in the mud, an ak is a ak, I have two arsenals and both have been used and abused and now wear krylon paint instead of the factory black. No sense in getting rid of a good arsenal.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:40:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Because the arsenal could be sold for 3x as much as the wasr? They are investments and for fun. A wasr would just be for fun in my collection.

Edit: The WASR's were on sale for $539 for a few weeks not too long ago on atlantic so your friend may want to wait until they go back on sale unless he's really itching for one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:02:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They did the same test on the wasr and it held up. That being said I don't own either but am looking forward to buying a WASR. Even thinking about trading an arsenal for something i can throw around in the mud!
View Quote

The arsenal deserves mud.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All AKs deserve mud. I mean that in a good way though. Don't leave it out of the fun.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#22]
What about those DDI ones Aim has for $699?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:46:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up one of the new wasr's, and there are no dimples but the magwell has an insert on both sides internally that prevents all mag wobble. It looks like a new thing, not something I've seen on previous Romanian rifles. The rifle is flawless!

Quoted:

You'll be pleasantly surprised. They're awesome. Now if only Cugir took a hint and added the receiver dimples, we'd have a proper rifle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Lack of dimples on an AK is not exclusive to the WASR.  Some Saigas lack dimples, some Chinese AKs, etc.  It's a RPK style receiver.

The dimples add strength to that area of the receiver, same for the welded plates in the WASR.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:49:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lack of dimples on an AK is not exclusive to the WASR.  Some Saigas lack dimples, some Chinese AKs, etc.  It's a RPK style receiver.

The dimples add strength to that area of the receiver, same for the welded plates in the WASR.
View Quote

The WASRs and others you mention do not have RPK style receivers.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:28:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

The SAR-1's had it, and the Dracos have them. Seems like it'd be easier to form them while making the receiver than to weld in plates afterwards.

And it's not an RPK style receiver.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:09:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Taking the advice from this thread I went to a local shop that stocks a lot of the Century offerings and you guys weren't kidding. I was a tad bit repulsed when I heard $300 rifles were selling for over $500 now but for all intents and purposes the WASRs they're importing now are almost different rifles. Wood looks great and (much to the clerks disgust) all five that they had looked real good including proper sight posts and gas tubes. I see that the old slant muzzle brake was replaced with what looks to be a simple thread protector as well.

They had them for 599 which doesn't look to be to bad a deal, especially since you have the opportunity to hand select your own rifle. I know where my next paycheck is going.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Taking the advice from this thread I went to a local shop that stocks a lot of the Century offerings and you guys weren't kidding. I was a tad bit repulsed when I heard $300 rifles were selling for over $500 now but for all intents and purposes the WASRs they're importing now are almost different rifles. Wood looks great and (much to the clerks disgust) all five that they had looked real good including proper sight posts and gas tubes. I see that the old slant muzzle brake was replaced with what looks to be a simple thread protector as well.

They had them for 599 which doesn't look to be to bad a deal, especially since you have the opportunity to hand select your own rifle. I know where my next paycheck is going.
View Quote

If it has the thread protector instead of a slant brake, you may be looking at the neutered model that has the bayonet lug ground off. Not sure why they'd be selling that version in your state, though.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 5:46:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
...snip...

I see that the old slant muzzle brake was replaced with what looks to be a simple thread protector as well.

View Quote

If you are looking for the non neutered version with the bayo lug, and removable slant brake, Century's  model number is RI1805N
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Excellent rifles. A few folks have had issues with NPAP receivers but the OPAPs are tanks. Right now Atlantic has OPAPs for $609 and, frankly, THAT is the "best AK deal right now."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:33:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

If it has the thread protector instead of a slant brake, you may be looking at the neutered model that has the bayonet lug ground off. Not sure why they'd be selling that version in your state, though.

That could be the case. I was so absorbed with other details of the samples that I didn't even look for a bayo lug. But you're right, I have no idea why they would be selling those here?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That could be the case. I was so absorbed with other details of the samples that I didn't even look for a bayo lug. But you're right, I have no idea why they would be selling those here?

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top