Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2006 6:17:11 PM EDT
I keep seeing stuff for sale that was not available before the 1st.  Was the barrel ban another one of those "buy my stuff now or never" scams?
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 6:18:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Tapco told me that AK kits they will sell after their current stock is depleted will have barrels cut thrice.

This is an actual conversation I had, not heard.  Although.....I haven't seen it yet and that was back in Feb/Mar
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#2]
What you are seeing for sale is stuff that has been here for a while waiting on customs to clear it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 9:30:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What you are seeing for sale is stuff that has been here for a while waiting on customs to clear it.

Not correct, this stuff is newly listed within the last two weeks.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Newly listed, where?  For sale to the public?  If that's what you mean then StreetTrends' post may in fact be correct.  The folks importing these kits may have imported them before the Dec 31 deadline and that they have now finished going through customs and are being offered for sale.  Things can be held up for a long time in customs after they have already been imported.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:53:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Sorry, I misread you're post - you may be correct.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:12:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

StreetTrends is probably correct.  Don't these come into a manufacturers/importers site to be demilled?

Correct.  They are imported to the foreign trade zone and then cut.

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:22:15 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Sportsmans Guide just got Polish underfolders from someone (importer's old stock) and they are selling the kits for $201.00 delivered with a coupon and buyers club.  Mine has already been shipped and I will have it end of the week.  These are kits with accessories like others sold for $249.00.  Hopefully excellent condidtion like what I got from Dan's Ammo.  

If you join FatWallet and use their link to SG you get another 6% rebate.  Effective cost is then $189.  I was a little skeptical of Fat Wallet until I cashed my first check last week.

My underfolder from Dan had 2 magazines and a bayonet in the accessory pack.  It looks like Gary O. did strip one of the magazines and the bayonet from these
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 5:42:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#11]
I've talked with quite a few people that are importing kits. One said not to worry because some of this stuff has been waiting a couple of years to clear customs. So they essentially said that stuff should still be popping up for a couple of years. I don't know exactly how long we will have kits. On a side note how many importers have been upset about this? Either they have enough until this blows over (maybe) or they aren't really letting on to whats really up. Don't know for sure, I just know we will still have kits for a while. Buy it when you got the money but, don't go crazy for the first thing you see.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Where will the barrels be cut at? Could we just turn a cut up romy barrel into a pistol length barrel like some guys are already doing? Probably even cheaper with a cut barrel!
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:36:54 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've talked with quite a few people that are importing kits. One said not to worry because some of this stuff has been waiting a couple of years to clear customs. So they essentially said that stuff should still be popping up for a couple of years. I don't know exactly how long we will have kits. On a side note how many importers have been upset about this? Either they have enough until this blows over (maybe) or they aren't really letting on to whats really up. Don't know for sure, I just know we will still have kits for a while. Buy it when you got the money but, don't go crazy for the first thing you see.

+1. I bet there is a heap load of stuff waiting to clear customs. Stuff that probably hasn't even left the country of origin yet. Wouldn't surprise me.

Of course the importers and resellers wouldn't want you to know that.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Where will the barrels be cut at? Could we just turn a cut up romy barrel into a pistol length barrel like some guys are already doing? Probably even cheaper with a cut barrel!

Dont count on it.

Barrels will almost certainly be cut at the chamber as well as the middle.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Ok so if the barrels are cut, are there US Sources for AK barrels?

I know Randall at www.AR15barrels.com can make AR barrels from blanks, but does anyone do the same kind of thing for AKs?  
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 2:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Ok so if the barrels are cut, are there US Sources for AK barrels?

I know Randall at www.AR15barrels.com can make AR barrels from blanks, but does anyone do the same kind of thing for AKs?  

There are US barrels available.  I think CSI is selling them?

The problem is that you will have to drill every barrel at the correct head spacing.  The average Joe might not be able to do that in the garage.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top