Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/26/2006 11:12:42 AM EDT
I bought my SAM-7 back in August 2003.  So I've got the brake. I've got some questions.  It's the only AK I've fired in a long time....does that brake really work?  The vents seem angled forward, seems to me that would vent the gas in a direction the would push the rifle back even more?????heard

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

JIM762
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:30:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I was gonna have my sam5 un-banned but I changed my mind because of how accurate the gun is, didnt want to mess that up.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Damn Templar, I was worried you'd say that because I would really like to put a phantom or vortex on the end of mine. I'm not very impressed with the brake at night, but why should I since it isn't designed as a flash suppressor.

If you know the details, can you tell us what exactly is necessary to make the change?

I remember reading that you need some type of dent puller to yank it off after you remove the pins, but I have no idea what the outside diameter of the barrel is under that brake. Is it a standard size that you could run a tap down?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:24:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Is the detent pin really necessary if you are installing a left hand threaded device, one that does not require timing?

As always, thanks for your information.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I like my fish-gill looking brake...It will grow on you.
Im leaving mine alone.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm leaving mine on. I would definetly like it to be threaded, but its too much of a pain in the ass to actually doit. Just like Templar said!
Plus, since its a milled receiver and the brake works pretty good the recoil is very moderate on my SLR-101! A lot less than on my stamped AK-47.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m too am looking for alternatives to the muzzle brake that my SLR 95 came with.  I’d prefer to go with a US made part, but I can’t seem to find any aftermarket pin on brakes.  I don’t want the extra cost or hassle of threading the barrel I’d like to just find a better pin on muzzle device.  Anyone know of any?  

I’ve had the brake off of mine before and it wasn’t a hassle at all.  I just drifted the pins out and twisted it back and forth while I pulled.  Came off with my bare hands in no time.

If threading the barrel is my only option I was toying with the idea of moving the front sight post back to the gas tube and having the barrel cut down and having the new device permanently attached.  So my overall barrel and muzzle device length would be just over 16”  That would be legal with it permanently attached but I didn’t know how reduced barrel length would affect the semi automatic operation of the gun.

Allong the same lines I also thought about getting an AK 104 barrel assembly from K-Var
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16578&cat=274&page=1
And permanently attaching a longer flash suppressor to it to reach a legal length, but I have no idea how long the barrel on that is so I’m not sure if it would be possible to make up the difference.  Also again I was unsure of the affect it would have on semi automatic operation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:14:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is the detent pin really necessary if you are installing a left hand threaded device, one that does not require timing?

Yep, like this.  Just got mine.  Flash reduction is awesome -- no doubt about it.  Should be, SOF has tested the hell out of it and are getting the lion's share of these units.

The AK74/100 vetrsion is a couple of months out, according to the folks at Smith Ent.

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top