Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2006 11:59:07 PM EDT
I took a group of guys out shooting on Saturday, and we all had a really good time.  (see thread here) HOWEVER, it was a BAD day for the AK!  Both ARs ran like tops, but after a 30rd mag dump, my AK choked.  

"Ok", I said.  No big deal, let's just single out this magazine (I have a bad Chinese magazine I just haven't thrown away yet) and go on about our business.  It was one of the new guys shooting, and when it stopped on him, I instructed him to remove the magazine, and pull back on the bolt.

Well, he followed my instructions, and when the bolt refused to budge, he just increased the amount of force.  And there it went, right back.  I told him to visibly inspect the chamber, and reinsert the mag.  He did so and tried it again.  No luck.  This time, the round went a little less than halfway into the chamber, and stuck tight (slightly askew.)  I had him drop the mag and pull the bolt to the rear again.  I tried to reach in there and pull the stuck (halfway) cartridge out, but it was stuck pretty tightly.  

I took the rifle from him, and stripped it right then and there.  I now had the rifle (sans dust cover, spring, and bolt/piston assembly) standing vertically on the ground.  I assembled a cleaning rod I keep with me, and dropped it down the muzzle.  Pop!  Out came the cartridge.  

Ok, now I visually inspected the chamber and bore to make sure there wasn't any obstructions, and proceeded to re-assemble the rifle and load it with a fresh magazine.  Same thing.  I now had another cartridge stuck halfway in the chamber.  Frustrated, and now making a "first time shooting experience" for several of the guys turn into a bad one, I cleared the jammed cartridge and just put the AK away.  

How embarassing for AK owners everywhere...  This particular AK has run beautifully on almost ALL occasions I've shot it.  Only when it was BRAND new, it had to be assisted into full battery a couple times when I didn't completely let the bolt fly forward, but that was it.  

When I got home, I took a closer look inside the chamber, fearing what I might find.  I was secretly thinking my friend might have muscled the bolt back, ripping the rim off the stuck case, leaving the (now tubelike) case still in the chamber.  

You tell me.  It appears that is EXACTLY what happened...

View from the back

With a round in the chamber as far as it will (easily) go.

Close-up of the chamber.  See the ridge?  I took my knife and stuck the edge of the discolored part, and noticed it was slightly metallic, and could almost be pried up.  Looks to me like a case that had cartridges jammed up it.

So, I'll be taking it to my gunsmith on Tuesday to see what he has to say about it.  What say you?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:05:20 AM EDT
[#2]
How exactly do you use a broken shell extractor? (BSE)
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Re-assemble rifle, drop shell extractor into chamber, drop action onto shell extractor and pull charging handle to eject shell extractor with broken shell.

It has a four pronged claw that goes over the case mouth and grabs it there and has a rim on the base for the extractor to hold on to for ejection.

cya
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#4]
just order the shell extractor, probably a hell of alot cheaper than the gunsmith.. and you will have the proper tool if it happens again
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
you should have a broken case extractor for every rifle you shoot,... i need to find one in 5.56 and 5.45,...having one anytime i shoot  is just one of those habits i got from Uncle Sugar
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you should have a broken case extractor for every rifle you shoot,... i need to find one in 5.56 and 5.45,...having one anytime i shoot  is just one of those habits i got from Uncle Sugar

I've never broken a case before, so I've never felt the "heat" to get one.  I just ordered a 7.62X39 BSE and a 5.56 BSE from Tapco.  $9.99ea, plus $8 shipping.  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:41:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Ditto Ditto Ditto... you need broken case extractors.  Consider - could you take that rifle to a smith in a SHTF situation?

You had a GOOD thing happen to you this day at the range... one day, the knowledge gained may save your life.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]
OMG!! Teh AK is Teh Ultra reliable!  

JK! Guys

Any machine can and will fail eventually, especially when you don't want it to.  Better to be prepared in the field and never need it, then to be in need and not have it.  THis includes (Gasp) cleaning and lubing your weapons, even AKs and having remedies like a broken shell extractor handy.  THis is coming from a Duel Wielding AR/AK owner.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#10]
A broken case is not a failure which is attributable to the rifle.

Which kind of ammunition were you shooting?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:21:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
OMG!! Teh AK is Teh Ultra reliable!  

JK! Guys

Any machine can and will fail eventually, especially when you don't want it to.  Better to be prepared in the field and never need it, then to be in need and not have it.  THis includes (Gasp) cleaning and lubing your weapons, even AKs and having remedies like a broken shell extractor handy.  THis is coming from a Duel Wielding AR/AK owner.

Is it fair to fault the rifle for the broken casing?  How about for the initial stuck case?  I was using Wolf, which has stuck in my ARs before.  In fact, I consider it a foregone conclusion that I will have a stuck case if I dump a mag or two, then let a live round sit in the hot chamber for any period of time before shooting it.   That's basically what happened with the AK.  

I don't like stuck cases, especially broken stuck cases!  
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:27:39 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Wolf.  That's kinda what I thought.  Maybe it has a somewhat tight chamber?  The barrel is from Bulgaria.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 2:12:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

5.45 BSE
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 3:09:09 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wolf.  That's kinda what I thought.  Maybe it has a somewhat tight chamber?  The barrel is from Bulgaria.

Call them up and let them know.  From what I have seen wolf has some kick ass customer service.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I stopped by my gunsmith today and he had the stuck case out in about 1 minute.  That included the time it took to disassemble the rifle.  He did it no-charge.  

My rifle is now up and running, and I'm happy!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top