Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 10:47:47 PM EDT
I have a semi-auto AK-74 built with a Hungarian receiver and a Bulgarian parts kit.  Would it be possible to swap out the Bulgarian AK-74 gas block with a Polish AKM gas block?  Would it still fuction properly without modifying the barrel?  My goal is to have an early version of the AK-74 for the collection.

Back in the early 80's (Before BDU's!!), while stationed in Germany with the army, I remember handling one of the "New, Mystical and Super Deadly" AK-74's with a folding metal stock.   Also, during this OPFOR training session, we had the chance to handle other infantry weapons from the "Evil Empire" which was pretty cool thing for a teenage kid!!   I'm just glad that I (we) didn't have to fight off the "hords" of T-62, T-64, T-72, T-80 tanks while in a U.S. M-60A1 tank at the Fulda Gap!!!  Thank God for the M-1!!!

Thanks for any advise!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 11:56:01 PM EDT
[#1]
different euopean AKM parts should fit on different european AKMs, as they are all suppose to be made to the same specification, and should be interchangeable. I can''t give you a difinate yes or no, but it's a 99 percent certainty it will fit.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:34:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Hey- I first fell in love with AK's during those OPFOR training sessions, too.

You can't put a 45-degree angled Polish PMKMS gas block on a Bulgarian AK-74 barrel, which has a 90 degree block, without some work.

While the journal for the gas block should be the same (.594), the gas holes are in different locations. you'll have to weld it up and re-drill it.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Richard!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#4]
You could always just get a sar-2 and put a new FSB on it, new wood, refinish....probably easier than messing with the barrel :o
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I thought about that, but I have plans to add a Romanian Side Folding Stock, Bakelite Handguard w/ Pistol grip to the SAR 2 I currently own.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top