Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2003 1:32:29 PM EDT

I saw a picture today of the B square ak 47 scope mount.....

Is this mount any good?
Does it install such that it is a tight assembly which will provide a good platform for accuracy? or does it wiggle and is somewhat loose?

Do you have to remove it to get under the action cover for routine cleaning?

can you use a regular scope with it?

I am looking for a good scope mount or red dot platform to use with my AK for three gun competition.......would it be good for that and why.

thanks for any information you can help with

kind regards

Paul
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:45:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:32:00 PM EDT
[#2]

IF you mean the one that replaces the pins for hammer and trigger group with screws and goes over the whole reciever cover... I have seen one up close.  Can't testify for its accuracy in use as I haven't used it, but it was pretty rough where shell casings had hit it on ejection and worn away some of the metal... but it seemed a pretty sturdy mount, if it isn't the most convenient for getting the reciever cover off.

Link Posted: 10/28/2003 11:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends on the mount. I've shot rifles equipped with the earliest mount mentioned but haven't tried the newer model made for the siderail. The original mount I tried was a "scout-type" thing that went on the forend of the rifle. Perhaps a red dot or different scope would have been better but it didn't work at all for me. The one that more or less covers the receiver cover is a no-go as well but their latest might be better.

I've not tried that one so my commentary is short and sweet...It could be good. They seem to try to build in a satisfaction factor, quality construction and what-not, so I wouldn't rule it out.

Which model are you looking at?
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:22:51 AM EDT
[#4]
WildWes

There is a model that utilizes two replacement trigger assy. pins which go through the mount right side plate, through the receiver and trigger assy., exit the left side and through the left side plate.  It places the mount in what looks like a good location for optics mounting... looks like it has the potential to be solid and does not have to be removed to clean the weapon but is of a very low profile to facilitate cheek weld and eye alignment.
I really don't know how new this mount is, but compared to the Russian side mounts I have and what other mounts I have seen on the market, this looks like a real step forward...IF...everything about it's appearance works correctly.
They are $36.00 (I think from cheaper than dirt and the mount is shown on the B-Square web site.

I was hoping someone had used this mount and could comment on the rigidity.....which is the main thing missing with the side mounts.

What the heck.....I broke down and ordered one from Cheaper than dirt...if it isn't any good, it will go in the "gee what a good idea but it doesn't work very well pile"  :)

Paul
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I like the one I got from Tantal. Mounts the same as the kobra and does not loose zero.
Link Posted: 10/29/2003 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I have one of those piles also...

Never used that mount. From what you are seeking, see either the Ultimak for the lowest available mount for an AK (search Sailordude posts for a detailed review), or the VEPR mount from robarm.com which I think is the best. Built darned well, and includes some range to adjust the bracket position to compensate for the real life variety of side rail mounting heights/angles.

Being the cheaper sort, I enjoy a Kobra and a Belarussian side rail/weaver adaptor that is just as tough as a PSO milspec mount just not adj like the VEPR model.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:19:03 PM EDT
[#7]

FWIW, the "weaver rail" Kobra won't mount to the BSquare mount.  The mounts rail is wider than the Kobra can handle.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 4:21:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Better late than never...

I have both and they both have strengths and weaknesses.

B square: solid , but you have to remove it to take top cover off, only the four screws that hold the mount to the pins, but you lose your zero. works well with Holosight, but might not allow you enough forward rail to mount some scopes. I had to add a cheek piece to allow for good cheekweld.

Ultimak : VERY solid. Allows almost cowitnessing with iron sights using Tasco reddot. But, it is a very efficient heat sink, and firmly attatched to the barrel. Tends to make your scope VERY VERY hot during rapid consumption of mass quantities of ammo. I refuse to mount my Holosight on it again, it got hot enough to cause condensation INSIDE the scope with enough rapid shooting.

Travis F.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top