Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2011 3:23:00 AM EDT
I am kind new to the AK and a little over whelmed by the variety of mags available for them , which one or ones should a person look for ?
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:12:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Any military surplus AK magazine in good condition will be reliable. Any of those are the "best".
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 4:16:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found the Bulgarian Waffles to be the BEST. Worth the price IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 5:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
there are the "best mags" that collectors pay 40+ a mag for, and then there are the good mags.

I'm guessing your are just looking for good functioning mags?

AIM surplus current 30rd "European mags" Chinese flatback style
Hungarian 20rd. mags
Bulgarian new production 30rd steel with plastic follower

all of the above are pretty much 100% with most guns and can be had for under 15 a piece. Some may have a bit better fit in some ak's but all should work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 7:48:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Any military surplus AK magazine in good condition will be reliable. Any of those are the "best".

This man speaks the truth.
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Centerfire system has a special , 10 - 40 round korean ribbed backed grey for $89.00 ??
Link Posted: 10/2/2011 8:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Centerfire system has a special , 10 - 40 round korean ribbed backed grey for $89.00 ??

Many people don't like the Korean mags. I personally have no experience with them but I do have a number of .mil surprise mags and as all the others have said those are the best/only ones you need.

Link Posted: 10/2/2011 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Those are commercial magazines, not surplus.
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 9:38:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Ordered ten of the euro mags from AIM last night and a case of the yugo 7.62x39 surplus , I have shot quite a bit of this already , some nice stuff even though it's corrosive .
Link Posted: 10/4/2011 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#9]
You'll be very happy with those mags, they really are great
Link Posted: 10/5/2011 2:32:31 AM EDT
[#10]
To be honest , I have two of the 20 round Tapco mags , I have put about a hundred rounds through both without one hiccup , I know that's not much of a test but they're working so far ?
Link Posted: 10/6/2011 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say you'll have good results going with any surplus factory mags....then maybe Tapcos (haven't tried US Palm mags yet). NOT Promags...stay away from Promags.
Link Posted: 10/8/2011 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I would say you'll have good results going with any surplus factory mags....then maybe Tapcos (haven't tried US Palm mags yet). NOT Promags...stay away from Promags.

'If' all the old pages were on here you could have seen some 'interesting' pictures of a PALM mag I took and was posted on here by a member who graciously did it for me.  As it is, I guess you will have to become a member to see it in archives.  I will only say one thing.......do research ANY mag before you bet your life on it.

Link Posted: 10/8/2011 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Surplus steel mags are the best.  Both for money and reliability.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ordered ten of the euro mags from AIM last night and a case of the yugo 7.62x39 surplus , I have shot quite a bit of this already , some nice stuff even though it's corrosive .

^ this sounds like the "best" combination IMHO. the flat backs are very reliable and fit in most mag rigs smoother.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an ammo can full of Chinese flatbacks, Europeans steel, Russian Steel, Russian Bakelite, Polish Polymer; and that's just the 7.62mm mags; on the 5.45 department, I have Bulgarian polys, Polish Steels,  EG Bakelites and Russian Polys; not a single one has given me any problem. THey all feed, they all function and they all look great.
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 8:40:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Everyone says that the Bulgy waffle mags are the best but I'd put a well built steel mag up against one any day in reliability of function. Now I wouldn't in the durability department, there the polymer may win out.

IMHO, of course
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top