Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » SKS
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/22/2005 11:23:19 AM EDT
Took my son to the indoor range at Camp Allen at the Norfolk Navy Base today. This was his first time shooting a real gun. He's 16. But he's shot air rifles since he was eight. After a few clips and some coaching he was holding his groups about an inch tall and straight across within the seven ring. So he wavers a tad side to side but not too bad. I shoot about the same but with slightly taller groups. We put another 200 rounds through that new/old Yugo SKS and it was again flawless. Almost 400 through it since I got it last month. ($150 at a gunshow.) So my son did great and had a good time to boot. And the ammo was just $25! That was buying it at the range. A range master there was talking to us as we left and said he didn't like SKS's at all. His opinion was based on one his friend owned. It had alot of extraction failures and and often wouldn't fire. I asked him if his "friend" bothered cleaning all the hardened cosmolene out as he should have. I described how it is IN everything! The operating rod, trigger assembly, bolt & firing pin. I mean everywhere like sticky tar. A poor cleaning would easily explain the malfunctions in that rifle. I explained how ours was working and showed him my sons targets. I told him about the easy trigger mod we did with lighter springs and a polishing of the sear grooves and rails with a stone. Then I let him hold our rifle and test pull the trigger. He asked to feel it again, I said sure. He said, Damn! That's sweet! By the time we left, he wanted to get one to go with his other C&R guns.

The SKS really is the "Rodney Dangerfield" of carbines. They get no respect except from us few who love them. But I think I got a convert today to them.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/22/2005 11:40:14 AM EDT by sysop]
All the SKS's I've ever owned ran great except when used with one of the aftermarket detachable mags. That may have been range guys buddies problem too.

The SKS was state of the art stuff in it's day. It was the eastern blocks first response to the M1 Garand.

The SKS is to the AK what the Garand is to the Springfield M14/M1A.

Good to hear that you and your son had such a good time together. He will cherish these moments later in his life as will you.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:09:39 PM EDT
Aww Geez. I bought one of those 30 rounders. What a POS! The metal was SO thin that the feed lips up top would unbend when the mag was full. And better yet there was NO provision to operate the bolt stop after the last round was fired! So, had I used it, the bolt would have carried forward shearing off the bullet follower in the mag well! The harder I looked at it the more ways I found that it could never be made to function! I returned it today and exchanged for a couple 30 round Romanian mags for my AKM.
No more of these el-cheapo mods for me.
I now plan to leave this fine old rifle exactly as it is! After that simple trigger mod, it reached a state about as close to perfection as it can have! ;-)
I just spent over an hour walking my son through cleaning it. I threw in lots of history lessons and "hows and whys" as he studied each part and cleaned them and got to know their functions well. More good quality time!
Back in the 70's when I was in High School my school had a target range under the bleachers. We shot the "big" 22 target rifles. Had shooting jackets, good equipment, the whole nine yards. The instructor was our football coach who was also a former Marine. Great guy. I loved every evening I spent there with Dad in that shooting program! This is definately stuff I want to pass down to my son!
Frankly, shooting the SKS reminds alot of the range time I spent in the Navy qualifying on the M14. It's just scaled down a bit is all.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:39:29 PM EDT
So whats this spring mod for the trigger? I haven't heard that one before. Give us alittle detail. Please.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:35:44 PM EDT
Here's the SKS page with many great articles on it.
www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/wolffsksspring/index.asp
And here's the specific article from the header on the right side of that page. I ordered my springs from the shop he recommended. Excellent service!
www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/wolffsksspring/index.asp
It is tough to get that hammer out with the stock spring installed. But it is do-able. Putting it back in with the slightly lighter new spring installed was much easier though.
Hope this helps!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:48:25 PM EDT
I gave my two oldest grandsons a Russian SKS each for Christmas of 2003. I ask them not to do any
magazine mods to them. I gave them some stripper clips so they could preload them before we went to the range.With a little practice, you can shoot it fast enough.
Went to the Lafaytte range in York County with the oldest boy a couple of weeks ago so he could sight in a scoped bolt gun and he had his SKS with him. He put about 100 rounds downrange with the SKS,
flawless function every time. Inexpensive and fun to shoot rifle!
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:51:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RELOADER-BOB:
I gave my two oldest grandsons a Russian SKS each for Christmas of 2003. I ask them not to do any
magazine mods to them. I gave them some stripper clips so they could preload them before we went to the range.With a little practice, you can shoot it fast enough.
Went to the Lafaytte range in York County with the oldest boy a couple of weeks ago so he could sight in a scoped bolt gun and he had his SKS with him. He put about 100 rounds downrange with the SKS,

Wow!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:43:41 PM EDT
I found the use for mine!! I have a Yugo SKS that is just not worth a damn on a bullseye target. Just terrible. However I hadn't shot it in a while and I had this old Sun Sparc5 computer sitting here that needed to die. Soooooooo naturally an idea was born

I took it, my SKS and 100 rounds to the range with me when I went to practice with my other rifles. As my reward for deliberate practice, I tossed the computer out on the 50yd line and proceeded to destroy it. This the SKS did quite well at and in fact the power supply where I concentrated my shots was completely empty. Nothing but a small coil of wire remained inside the metal cage.

Watching peices of it go flying into the air was quite enjoyable. I just needed to use it for about all it's really good for..... having fun with a cheap rifle and cheap ammo. I have lots of other dead PCs around here (I'm a computer geek) so there are quite a few trips in my future.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:45:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fadedsun:

Originally Posted By RELOADER-BOB:

Wow!

My Yugo has not failed to operate once. Not once. It may not hit a coin at 100yds but by god it WILL send bullets down range when you need it to do so. I think that is the better measure of a fighting arm.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:39:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sidecarnutz:
Back in the 70's when I was in High School my school had a target range under the bleachers. We shot the "big" 22 target rifles. Had shooting jackets, good equipment, the whole nine yards. The instructor was our football coach who was also a former Marine. Great guy. I loved every evening I spent there with Dad in that shooting program! This is definately stuff I want to pass down to my son!
Frankly, shooting the SKS reminds alot of the range time I spent in the Navy qualifying on the M14. It's just scaled down a bit is all.

Back in the '60s, I was a left-wing antiwar hippie, dead-set against the draft, etc. Didn't matter, though -- my health was so rotten that I got put on the class that basically wouldn't get called up unless the Ruskies were landing troops on our shores (2Y, was it?), and then, I pulled a really high number in the draft lottery too.

That was then, though. Years later, I found myself wishing that I'd gotten in, feeling like I'd really mised out on something that would have meant something. My late father's happiest years were when he was in the Navy during WWII.

Sorry for the digression. It's coming up on five years since he died, and your post triggered some memories.
Page AK-47 » SKS
Top Top