Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/2/2004 9:02:17 PM EDT
Noticed Arsenal has pics and info up about the 5.45mm stamped receiver SLR105 which should be the U.S. version of the Bulgarian 5.45mm AR-M1. What is up with the front site base???? Looks like no bayo lug, no threads for the brake and not even a hole for the plunger and spring!!!! WTF??? I hope they plan on selling just the receivers because I dont think they will sell to many of those.

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:30:21 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm gonna take a guess here that they just don't have the final version ready - because
they are concentrating on the milled models (higher value guns) - as evidenced by this ad  

Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:25:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I will get two of them.  Will replace the FSB and gas block with Russian parts any how, so don't really care what it comes with.  Heck, will probably strip the whole thing down and just use the receiver.  Wonder if the serial number is on the receiver or trunion block?
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 6:45:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I think the flashhider is cut off in the picture. Compare it to the pictures of the underfolder.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#6]
From an earlier thread

Quoted:
OK, here's an update on the stamped receiver rifles.

The stamped receiver AK-74's, as they will be initially introduced, will NOT have the '74 front sight block or a gas block with a bayo lug.

Several reasons for this:

1) Arsenal is going to to it's absolute best to keep the cost down on the new stamped receiver rifles in order to provide a much needed alternative to the sub standard Romanian rifles out there now.

2) There are at least two states, NY and NJ, that have their own versions of an "Assault Weapons Ban" and they have not nor will not sunset. The new stamped rifles will be legal to own in those states.

3) There will be special runs, especially when the AKS-74 side folders come out, that will have all the bells and whistles that the true AKS-74 should have.

4) The parts will be available to refit the new stamped receiver rifles into more of a military configuration. When the low cost of the rifles is factored in, the parts and labor to refit the rifles should not be intimidating at all. Any of the smiths who have a forum on this site will be able to do the work easily.

Just wanted to let you guys know as soon as I heard the skinny.

TRS
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#7]
So in other words they are going to make their base model a nuetered "post-ban" AK-74? Then they plan to offer  "special runs" of no-ban models? and I wonder how much these "special runs" will cost? Man, this post AWB era that we all looked foward to looks like shit so far unless we do it ourselves.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:34:26 PM EDT
[#8]
I just recently sent off an AK74 kit to AK-USA for building.  When I heard the news that the Arsenal AK74's were just about ready I got a sick feeling.  I figured that I could have gotten a 100% Bulgarian for the same price as this parts gun is going to cost me.  Well, I now see that I did not make a mistake.  I have no interest in buying a neutered rifle post AWB.  Yes the 'special run' Arsenal rifles will be sweet but you know those will cost big bucks.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I fail to see the problem; K-var is trying to bring the cheapest price possible to the masses. $450/490 retail is about the MSRP of a Romanian.

The front site base/comp can easily be replaced at home. It will cost you about $100 in parts (thats if you buy brandnew parts from K-var, not some takeoffs from a demilled kit), and a bit of work with a rubber mallet and punch.

The rear bayo lug I would not bother with.

So for a grand total of about $590 (going full retail, not the actual street price), you can have a factory built Bulgarian rifle. About the same as having one made from a kit, but you have a good Bulgarian receiver, built with in a factory. Plus, you dont have to wait either.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:33:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The SLR-105 and SLR-105S models will not have a muzzle device, nor a threaded barrel, nor a threaded front sight block. The front extension of the front sight block has enough meat to thread for 22mm threads, but not 24mm threads. Furniture will be K-VAR's U.S. black synthetic, with the NATO length buttstock (1-1/4" longer than standard). The fire control set is K-VAR's U.S. made hammer, trigger and disconnector.
The 'S' model will have an attached optics rail on the left side of the stamped sheet metal receiver.
With each rifle will be included one 30 round black synthetic magazine, sling, cleaning kit and rod, and users manual.
A very limited number of both models will be shipping from Arsenal Inc. this week.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:42:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I fail to see the problem; K-var is trying to bring the cheapest price possible to the masses. $450/490 retail is about the MSRP of a Romanian.

The front site base/comp can easily be replaced at home. It will cost you about $100 in parts (thats if you buy brandnew parts from K-var, not some takeoffs from a demilled kit), and a bit of work with a rubber mallet and punch.

So for a grand total of about $590 (going full retail, not the actual street price), you can have a factory built Bulgarian rifle. About the same as having one made from a kit, but you have a good Bulgarian receiver, built with in a factory. Plus, you dont have to wait either.

Well see, I have a feeling it will have an insane price tag like everything else they sell but if the price is down low with the Romanian rifles then I bet they sell a ton of them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#13]
arsenal,

please tell us this is not what your big plans were.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 4:36:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The SLR-105 and SLR-105S models will not have a muzzle device, nor a threaded barrel, nor a threaded front sight block.

Well if this isn't a bunch of crap, then I don't know what. Since when does a threaded barrel or proper FSB add such a huge amount of $$$ that it puts off potential buyers? It's fine and dandy that they're tring to kepp costs down, but I fail to see their changes being responsible for huge savings. I'm also looking for a decent 74, and my biggest criteria is threaded barrel and/or FSB for a muzzle device. This is garbage and I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 7:25:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well see, I have a feeling it will have an insane price tag like everything else they sell but if the price is down low with the Romanian rifles then I bet they sell a ton of them.

They already said "suggested retail" was $450 without rail, 490 with.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
The SLR-105 and SLR-105S models will not have a muzzle device, nor a threaded barrel, nor a threaded front sight block.

Well if this isn't a bunch of crap, then I don't know what. Since when does a threaded barrel or proper FSB add such a huge amount of $$$ that it puts off potential buyers? It's fine and dandy that they're tring to kepp costs down, but I fail to see their changes being responsible for huge savings. I'm also looking for a decent 74, and my biggest criteria is threaded barrel and/or FSB for a muzzle device. This is garbage and I guess I'll have to look elsewhere.

Agreed.  I am waiting to see the fully evil stamped AKS-74 that they plan on bringing it.  If the finish and make of the rifle are good I think I may have to have another '74 to the collection.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#17]
As I said in the last thread, this just goes beyond sanity.  This is "new coke" all over again, but with guns this time. FWIW, I like the original Warsaw length stock as well.

BoB
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:20:47 AM EDT
[#18]
to
say that i am disapointed would be an understatment.

Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:35:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Arsenal Inc's rationale makes no sense to me.  The majority of the market is demanding no-ban rifles.  But they decide to focus their production on neutered versions designed for a small minority of the market?  It seems the main result of that will be the passing along of additional expense and hassle to most of the consumers they are trying to sell to.

Here's another vote for threaded barrels and standard length buttstocks.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:38:17 AM EDT
[#20]
i thought the whole plan was to be give a nice alternative to the wasr line of weapons. but now it seems the new wasr coming in october may have the bayonet lugs and threads in place. guess we will have to wait and see.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top