Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 3/22/2006 10:15:10 AM EDT
OK its time to get an AK always wanted one and now the time has come, the Arsenals look good!!!!

I have seen a couple of these in a local shop and would like to get one they are $600.00.
Built good have good trigger and excellent quality for an AK (Atleast look good). They do not have any extra mags for sell just the one thats in the box, but said they are getting some in.
Question is are they as reliable as an 7.62X39 AK?? I am a frim beliver in the Theory (Its just a theory) that the original design caliber is going to be the most reliable. BUT the thing is an AK its gonna be reliable anyway. Have any of you guys experienced any problems with your 5.56 M5's?? Anything I should be worried about issues or concers before I take the step??

Im more interest in the 556 than 7.62. 7.62X39 around here is getting more and more expensive even the Wolf stuff. The 5.56 can be had faily cheap enough and a freind reloads, Soooo if i give him brass he gives me a little off on the price.

Would you recomend the M5 or just get a milled 7.62???

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:29:07 AM EDT
I do not have an Aresenal but my .223 AKs are as reliable as my 7.62s. I have a Vepr and a converted Saiga but I would guess the Aresenal would be reliable as they are top notch guns. Its not some hacked up job buy Century monkeys. I would go for it. $600 for a new quality .223 rifle is not bad compared to other .223 rifles out there.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 11:44:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rotorblade:
OK its time to get an AK always wanted one and now the time has come, the Arsenals look good!!!!

I have seen a couple of these in a local shop and would like to get one they are $600.00.
Built good have good trigger and excellent quality for an AK (Atleast look good). They do not have any extra mags for sell just the one thats in the box, but said they are getting some in.
Question is are they as reliable as an 7.62X39 AK?? I am a frim beliver in the Theory (Its just a theory) that the original design caliber is going to be the most reliable. BUT the thing is an AK its gonna be reliable anyway. Have any of you guys experienced any problems with your 5.56 M5's?? Anything I should be worried about issues or concers before I take the step??

Im more interest in the 556 than 7.62. 7.62X39 around here is getting more and more expensive even the Wolf stuff. The 5.56 can be had faily cheap enough and a freind reloads, Soooo if i give him brass he gives me a little off on the price.

Would you recomend the M5 or just get a milled 7.62???

Thanks

If you can get a SA M-5 for $600.00, why are you here discussing it! Buy that sucker. You'll love it. Your next purchase can be its big brother, the SA M-7. I'm sure they'll have mags for sale shortly. Keep an eye on K-VAR. Also, member "greentimber" has some for sale.

Good choice, by the way.

Bud
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 6:53:12 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 9:29:53 AM EDT
Thanks guys thats what I thought but was just making sure. The shop ill be getting it from has very good prices on guns.
Ive got a baby in the oven so this might be its first full rifle to be passed down. Yeah thats it honey its for the kids inheritance.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:03:40 AM EDT
Better nab a SAM-5 one while you can! The no-ban SAM-5s are almost as hard to find as 5.45 x 39 ammo...

AC
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 10:14:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AC_Doctor:
Better nab a SAM-5 one while you can! The no-ban SAM-5s are almost as hard to find as 5.45 x 39 ammo...

AC

+1
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:43:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/23/2006 12:49:27 PM EDT by mach6]
You guys have got stop diddling around regarding the SAM-5...unless you're complete noobs, then it's understandable. Just go get one and stop contemplating your navels as to whether $6XX or $7YY is a good deal and whether you'll get mags. How many times has this discussion gone on in various flavors? "Should I get a K-101?", "How about a KVAR 5.45 Krink Kit for $249?", or "And what about an SLR-100H receiver for $100...is that a good deal?" What are you guys gonna do when the primo Polish AKMS set dry up? Or the Tantals? Or the Yugos, for that matter? The time is now or never. The AK world is funny -- everything has it's time (window) in the market where prices are either great or at least reasonable. If you don't get in now, you will regret it. No, I am not a retailer, and yes, I have my SAM-5S....and love it.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:20:54 PM EDT
I experienced a problem with the bolt of my SAM-5S, sent it back to Arsenal and they replaced, no questions asked. Excellent customer service.

If I could only have one AK, it would be my SAM-5S. The 5.56 cartridge is more effective at ranges within 100 yards than the 7.62x39 if you are using standard issue ball (grade 2) such as XM193 or Q3131A as compared to a cartridge such as Yugoslavian milsurp 7.62. If you will be shooting between 100 and 300 yards, the 7.62 x39 Yugo may have an advantage over XM193 or similar 5.56 ammo. If you are using other ammo such as the heavier Match Hollow points the effective range of 5.56 will be much more. If you need effective range for much longer distances, you probably want something in .308, which is hard to find in an AK style firearm.

The SAM 5 is well worth it in my opinion, and other than the bolt problem that was taken care of, has been 100% trouble free. Great rifle, no regrets. If you want an AK style rifle, this would be a real good choice.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 7:42:40 PM EDT
I think the SAM-5 is the way to go. The SAM-5 has great quality. The 5.56 round is alive and well, and under development and improvement. You can go to almost any dealer and find .223/5.56 ammo. 7.62 has nothing new going on with it, there are only a handful of 7.62 makers.
Top Top