Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:02:50 PM EDT
After years of ARs and FALs, I finally got my first AK.  Now, I need some 7.62 mags, I looked for a thread on good and bad mags, but couldn't find one.  Are all AK mags basicly good?  Any recommendations on what to get or avoid?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
This is one of the joys of owning an AK eland. They are no where as picky about their magazines as AR's are, BUT you will find that there are inconsistancies alot of the times even with magazines made by the same manefacturer. One of the most inconsistant brand of magazines I have purchased were from Cabela's. I believe they were "USA" brand mags (probably made in Taiwan). 3 out of 6 were ok and identical to each other but the other three were out of spec. To be more specific, the rear tabs were either welded crooked or too long/too short. These magazines also had very sharp edges to them.

The Yugoslavian magazines keep the bolt open after the last shot.. I like that.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:53:14 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, all my AK mags (w/ exception of the 75rnd drum) are E.German 40s & 30s and Hungarian 20s ribbed metal magazines.

I dislike the plastic waffle or plastic in general for mag construction, (although from what I understand they work fine).

Mike
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Stay away from US made AK mag's.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:25:13 AM EDT
[#4]
pro mag
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:44:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
pro mag

+1 ProMags are complete shit.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:48:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks to all of you for the info, very helpful.  

My next question -- where are some of the best places to get to mags?
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:58:22 AM EDT
[#7]
1) equipment exchange

2) www.aa-ok.com
www.armoryUSA.com AKA Global Trades
www.atlanticfirearms.com
www.cdnninvestments.com/
www.centerfiresystems.com
www. cheaperthandirt.com
ergogrips.net/ak.html
www.ftfindustries.com
www.gunsnstuff.com/
www.gunthings.com
www.interordnance.com
www.ironwooddesigns.com/
www.k-var.com
www.militarygunsupply.com
www.northridgeinc.com
www.polytechparts.com/
www.redstararms.com/
www.riflestock.com/
www.rpbusa.com/
www.sarcoinc.com/
www.Tapco.com
tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/
www.tickbitesupply.com/ak.html
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:03:04 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 to all of the above.  Plus, for the most part, the better quality AK mags are the cheapest.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:20:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

+1
stick with surplus and your okey dokey
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 11:44:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
stick with surplus and your okey dokey

What he said.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I like AK mags
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah pro mags are really bad
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 to all of the above.  Plus, for the most part, the better quality AK mags are the cheapest.

Really strange but true. The $5.00 German orange bakelites are awesome magazines.
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:27:03 PM EDT
[#15]
uh where are you getting 5 buck EG bakelites at? me wantee
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:45:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
uh where are you getting 5 buck EG bakelites at? me wantee

Me too!
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:45:59 PM EDT
[#17]
all my mags are Chinese 30 rd'rs, got both black finished metal ones and bakelights, oh, and 3 Chinese 75 rd drums.  Never had problem with any of them
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 8:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really strange but true. The $5.00 German orange bakelites are awesome magazines.

You must be talking about AK-74 mags....never seen 7.62 bakelites for that price in over 14 years.

-John
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 9:16:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the advice.  

I have some ARs and FALs that - by the time they are outifitted with rails, lights, optics, etc - are about 4x or 5x what I paid for my AK.  And the AK came with a cleaning kit, oil bottle, mag pouch two mags, and bayonet!  

So my mission with the AK is not to spend money on changes or upgrades unless absolutely neccesary.  I can't define "absolutely necessary" at this time, but I'll know it when I see it.  

Consistent with this philosophy, I'll be looking for inexpensive (less than $10) euro mags, and I'll be shooting surplus ammo and Wolf.  

I do have to come clean on one thing - I did strip the finish off the wood, give it 3 coats of stain and 3 coats of oil - but I already had all those materials left over from other projects, so I'm not counting that.

eland
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#20]
RPB USA (1-800-858-0809)

They used to have orange bakelite 5.45mm magazines marked "Made in Germany" for $5.00 apiece. They used to have a website, too.

Steel 7.62x39 mags can be had for 7 or 8 dollars if you look.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:49:51 AM EDT
[#21]
I never met a bad milsurp mag
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:52:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, got some *inexpensive* metal mags on the way, courtesy of EE.  

Now, what's your favorite mag bag/carrier?  
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:50:16 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I like the old Chinese od green three cell chest pouchs...They sling over a shoulder well and fit alright for there intended purpose and for $15 or $20 bucks why not....
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I like the old Chinese od green three cell chest pouchs...They sling over a shoulder well and fit alright for there intended purpose and for $15 or $20 bucks why not....

Who has them for $15-$20?  
Is there a sugested case for carring 20+ loaded mags to the range? I have been thinking of looking for a sturdy tool box maybe.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:37:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Guess you never heard of ProMag or USA Mag?  Have you?

They are both equally the Shitty-ist mags on the planet
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:29:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Is there a sugested case for carring 20+ loaded mags to the range? I have been thinking of looking for a sturdy tool box maybe.

For carrying a lot of AR mags, I use a soft sided, cordura nylon tool bag.  It works great.  Tough enough to handle the weight of 30 or so loaded mags, and easy to handle.  No sharp corners to ding things up.  I picked mine up at Home Depot, can't remember what I paid for mine, but it wasn't much.  

Before the soft tool bag, I used .50 cal or fat 50 ammo cans, which work very well also.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

For carrying a lot of AR mags, I use a soft sided, cordura nylon tool bag.  It works great.  Tough enough to handle the weight of 30 or so loaded mags, and easy to handle.  No sharp corners to ding things up.  I picked mine up at Home Depot, can't remember what I paid for mine, but it wasn't much.  

Before the soft tool bag, I used .50 cal or fat 50 ammo cans, which work very well also.

Big plus one on the soft sided tool bags.  Generally built tough as they expect to be loaded up with heavy tools and tossed around.  Cheap (I usually wait for sales and never spend more than $10).  I've got 6 or 8 and I use them to organize my stuff and keep it ready to go ...  I've got bags dedicated to AR, AK, bhp, p99  etc etc etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1  Tool bags are what I use for my range bag as well.  Quite a few pockets on the inside for small items, and designed to carry heavy metal tools.
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 12:12:03 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Guess you never heard of ProMag or USA Mag?  Have you?

They are both equally the Shitty-ist mags on the planet

Do USA mags have "USA" stamped on the back rib?  I have some marked like that but haven't tried them yet (AK NOOB here ).  They also have orange followers. What makes them so crappy?

Inquiring mind wants to know!

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:30:01 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Who has them for $15-$20?  

Cheaper than dirt had some not long ago....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 6:58:45 PM EDT
[#31]
500 rounds for 54$ at Cabelas and they give you a free dry box. Very sturd and perfect for the range.

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top