Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:37:38 AM EDT
I have a chinese one that has 2 differant IDs for the barrel. Are all AK front sights 2 differant IDs or is this unique? I thought the barrel was a constant diameter through that?

S.O.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:33:39 PM EDT
Do you mean ID (Inside Diameter) or OD (Outside Diameter)?

If the ID varies, it probably means you have a shot-out barrel!

If you mean the OD, then all the AKs I've seen step down a few times moving towards the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:05:35 PM EDT
I meant the ID of the front sight block, in other words, does the OD of the barrel step down UNDER the front sight block?

S.O.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:04:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SorryOciffer:
I meant the ID of the front sight block, in other words, does the OD of the barrel step down UNDER the front sight block?

S.O.

No, the OD under the FSB is bigger. If it were smaller it would be impossible to install an FSB.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:43:56 AM EDT
Ok, I guess I am still not explainginit like I should...Does the barrel have a step down in OD with a matching step down of ID of the front sight block?

S.O.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:39:06 PM EDT
Ok, so are you asking if the diameter of the barrel under the FSB is the same as measured from the front of the FSB to the rear of the FSB?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:45:05 PM EDT
YES!

Gee, that was a whole lot simpler putting that way... My Chinese FSB has a smaller ID in the front half than the back half. Is that normal? If so, are all AK FSB like that?

S.O.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:15:14 PM EDT
Do you have any pictures by chance?

I'm no AK expert by any stretch but I have never heard of any such beast as you describe, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Perhaps the muzzle on your Chinese AK (is it a MAK?) is ground down giving the illusion the barrel is stepped down in diameter?

Hopefully someone better qualified than me will come along and shed some light on this.
Top Top