Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Posted: 12/17/2009 3:24:29 PM EDT
I'm new to the AK world, and I am looking for one as a SHTF utilitarian lead slinger. Don't care if the furniture is crappy, just want reliable function. That said, what do you guys think of this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=150533880

or this one:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=149998268

I admit that I don't know shit about the variances between the AKs from different countries. I just want a good, reliable backup.

Any advice is welcome.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:52:31 PM EDT
I can't speak for any of the other AKM's out there, but I have a WASR-10, and I've had no problems with it for over 1.5k rounds, and minimal cleaning (AR gets all the love). Simple enough to use, clean, disassemble. But like I said, there are better quality AKM's out there, but I've never had reliablity problems with mine.
But I do know of a cheaper place to buy one, and it comes with the bayonet and slant flash hider. And 2 mags. (PS: they have some pretty cheap steel mags too). And they're Industry Partners.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Romanian_GP-WASR_10_63_7.62x39_Rifle.html
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:54:07 PM EDT
I prefer Romanian Sar-1 and Sar-2 rifles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 3:56:25 PM EDT
A Romanian will do anything an Arsenal will do. Reliability is on the same level as any other AK. Accuracy is the same too.

The WASR deal at Aim Surplus is a good deal.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:00:34 PM EDT
Romanian AKs aren't fancy but they work. My SAR-1 runs like a champ. .
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:12:49 PM EDT
Is there any down side to having an under folder?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:14:45 PM EDT
The under folder can be a little bit uncomfortable.

Some times the locking mechanims is a little bit playful.  That is there is some wiggle in it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 4:20:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rca2222:

Hate em, uncomfortable, unstable. Only good for storage. Standard warsaw stock is best.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 5:06:07 PM EDT
WASRs are fine.  They work just as well as anything else.  But, if you buy a one, buy it in person to check the mag fit and sights. (just my opinion)  for full disclosure: no, I don't own one.......any more.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 7:05:30 PM EDT
Had a WASR a while back, no issues at all. You should be good to go as long as you look the rifle over before buying..check to make sure the front sight isnt canted [its straight] and make sure the action charges smothly and rails are straight..if everything looks good id go for it.

I have a ROMY G KIT built by a fellow AR15 member on a NDS reciever...very nice rifle.. rommys are great rifles...the century stuff takes a good look over before you should buy but there still great shooters...i would have trusted my life to the one i owned, i put quite a few rounds through it with zero malfunctions
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:41:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rca2222:

As you can tell from the various responses, it's a matter of preference.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 4:57:18 AM EDT
I love underfolders and hate them at the same time.  When I was doing executive protection, I loved how small an underfolder really got.  I used to carry a Chinese under-folder in a duffle bag along with a 30 rounder in the gun, and two 40 rounders rattling around next to it.  It was a great oh-chit package to have if needed (and thankfully, never was).  So for the ability to discreetly walk around the streets of the city with an AK, you just can’t beat an underfolder.  

But that’s where the love affair ends.  Once you extend the stock and start shooting, the love affair ends, because they’re uncomfortable and it’s hard to get a good cheek weld.  As for sloppy stocks, there is an adjustment in the hinge IIRC (I’ve never had to use it).  It takes a bit of abuse to get to a sloppy stock.  I was issued a sloppy under-folder when I was doing executive protection in Honduras one time (pretty much had my choice of just about any weapon, I chose the underfolder AK).

If you’re looking for an around the house/farm AK for general fun and defense, you’re likely to enjoy the fixed stock much better.  If you think you’ll ever be in a situation where you need to carry your AK very discreetly, then the addition of a Romanian/E-German wire side folding stock to your fixed stock Romy would do the trick in a pinch.  If you live in the city and you think bugging out is something you’ll have to do, and do discreetly, then I’d go ahead and buy the underfolder first, and then back that up with a fixed stock Romy when funds allow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:09:52 AM EDT
I've owned two Romanian SAR-1's.  They work.  With that being said, I no longer own those rifles.  Now I own 4 Arsenal rifles and they are a steps above the Romanian rifles.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 6:42:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2009 6:51:31 AM EDT by ELPerdido]
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
I've owned two Romanian SAR-1's.  They work.  With that being said, I no longer own those rifles.  Now I own 4 Arsenal rifles and they are a steps above the Romanian rifles.

Steps above how? In reliability? Accuracy? Please explain "steps above"
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:05:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ELPerdido:
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:

Steps above how? In reliability? Accuracy? Please explain "steps above"

For me it has been accuracy/grouping, but we are talking only an inch difference here.  My experience has been w/ WASRs and Gkits for the X39.  Some kits are just better than others.  Same for a friend's SAR2 in the accuracy department.  All were AK accurate or better.

The WASRs i have owned were full of issues, keep in mind these were some of the first WASRs.  Worst issue was Head Spacing!!!!  This was before i knew my ass from a hole in the ground in the AK world.  That rifle gave me hell and shot fine until ~300rds down the pipe.  CAI was not helpful and honestly should be ashamed of themselves.  I finally fixed the issues and sold them off.  Gained alot of experience and i'm glad i have that now.  Received alot of help here on this forum.

A SAR usually does not have a threaded muzzle, has a bad finish, tooling marks and may require a G2 FCG (trigger slap).  Fixed up a SAR is a kickass rifle and is extremely close to many other AKs in the accuracy department.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 7:22:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/18/2009 7:23:35 AM EDT by calicoss47]
Got both a WASR and a SAR-1.  Reliability is the same.  Accuracy is so darn close it's not an issue. Both had canted sights out of the box. Wood furniture looked horrible on both (kept the wood on the WASR but went black on the SAR-1). Other then what years these guns were produced there's really not much of a difference.  I'll say that I have much more lead down range on the SAR-1 so my experience with the gun has trumped my WASR but don't think that's too important.  Have a side folder on the WASR and it's ok, nothing special.  Other then the WASR not having the mag dimples that's about it.  Romanians, are as everyone has said already, a reliable piece.  It's really about price, fit, finish and what your looking to do with the gun (range, tactical, just adding to the collection, etc.) that goes into deciding between AK variants.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 8:41:20 AM EDT
i had a WASR-2 and couldnt get through a whole mag without a stoppage, some were mag related but others were due to the bolt hanging up a quarter inch out of battery cause it would snag on the locking lug on the left side of the receiver,  ended up selling it, put a bad taste in my mouth for romanian, ill probably try a wasr-10 i the future seems like they have a better track record
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:14:08 AM EDT
Am looking at a STG-2000-c 7.62 X39..i read these are Romo's and am curious of the hives thoughts
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:27:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BadOscar:
Am looking at a STG-2000-c 7.62 X39..i read these are Romo's and am curious of the hives thoughts

I heard there some problems with the polymer hand guard, but other than that they'll run like any other AK.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 9:28:35 AM EDT
I have no experience with WASRs or SARs, but I have a couple of Romy Gs that are flawless.
Top Top