Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/26/2012 10:21:52 PM EDT
Are AK buffers worthwhile?  Just wondering as there are so many AKs out there being used is all sorts of conditions and with many thousands of rounds through them, and they do not have this little accessory.

So are they a waste, a nice to have, or a must have?

Thanks.  Could not find anything on the search, so I am assuming they are not usually used.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 10:25:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't use one, and I've never seen one in use by anyone else.
Link Posted: 5/26/2012 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks.  After I posted, I just saw a similar post down below that did not show on my search.  I may try one if I can find a Buffertech one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 5:07:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Not needed and fwiw, I have heard they can sometimes affect reliability.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 2:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a BlackJack one in my romy and I never had a problem with it. You can see an imprint from the back end of the bolt on the buffer before cleaning. Truthfully, I don't think it makes a difference though.
Link Posted: 6/6/2012 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Wilson buffer in a supressed SBR that seems to hold up fine. I was worried about over gassing with my combo so I thought a buffer might avoid issues. Otherwise I don't think they do much on a standard AK...
Link Posted: 6/26/2012 12:31:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not needed and fwiw, I have heard they can sometimes affect reliability.

I got one years ago for my Hungarian SA 85 and it caused some reliability issues. I took it off and no problems. Some people run them with no problems at all. I will not even try to use them any longer. Not worth the potential problems it may cause.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
not at all,dont waste your money
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 10:24:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I was given one by the guy who built my Romy.  I use it when I am shooting plates or just plinking. I think it's a Blackjack one.  Its green.  Have had no problems with around 5000 rounds thru it. I would take it out for anything serious.
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]
I use the Buffer Tech in 7 AK's, & a Galil. No problem. I also use them in my FAL's. Again, no problem. However, my Draco C did not like the buffer at all, so I removed it & the Draco worked just fine. It's probably not necessary to have the buffer, but they were cheap, & I feel better using them. The Buffer Tech ones are made much better than the Blackjacks.  GARY  N4KVR
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top