Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2004 3:50:46 PM EDT
I saw this while browsing my Brownell's catalog and thought I might give it a try.  Anyone used one?

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:18:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Search feature is your friend.  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=64344
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:05:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I got one, like it alot.  Hasn't fried my Tasco ProPoint.  I have had no problems with function or zero retention either.  Haven't removed it for cleaning since I bought it a year or two ago.

I would put one an any AK I had unless you wanted one that was completely stock, ie: Mid1970's Soviet issue, etc.

My onle advise is that you need to be real sure what kind of lower handguard you want NOW.  You have to remove the Ultimak if you want to remove the lower guard.  Some wood guards may have to have a little wood removed from the inside if its too tight to fit, not anything dificult at all.

Tex78
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 8:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Could it be easily cut down and fitted to an AMD 65? I have a Kobra with the Weaver mount that would be perfect for deer hunting mounted on my AMD.
Is the inside of the gas tube all 1 constant diameter or does it flair out at the mounting point to the gas block like a standard tube?
Would there be any issues with the steel hand guard of the AMD's lower portion fitting?
Thanks,
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 12:06:53 AM EDT
[#4]
It fits perfectly inside the railed TDI AK lower handguard without any modifications.  It also fits most polymer handguards like K-Var's.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 5:46:54 AM EDT
[#5]
I have them on both my 7.62 and 5.45 guns; both with Aimpoints. I've found it to be an excellent set up. You can co-witness the iron sights. Very minimal net weight gain. The instructions are superb.

And it does NOT overheat the optic.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:24:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I still haven't got to shoot mine but it is the best scope/red-dot mount I could find. Especially if your rifle doesn't have the scope mount on the side.

You may want to contact ultimak and see if they can get you one for the AMD65. They may be able to make you one or cut one for you. It should be easy to cut...its alluminum.

www.ultimak.com

BTW order it straight from ultimak...I ordered it last one sunday night...It was on my doorstep wednesday morning at 8. I was impressed.

I have a choate forgrip and it fit perfect with no modifications.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 8:52:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. I have one on my Sar-1 with a TDI railed forearm. Its a great optics platform.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:49:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Is it possible to remove the gas piston for cleaning with the mount attached? Their site claims that it does not interfere with normal PMCS of the weapon?
THANKS,
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#9]
The gas piston as bolt assembly is uneffected by it being there. It is just like the original gas tube. I would definetly recommend it to anyone. With a red-dot at 70 yards I managed a less than 1'' group...shooting off a log. Using some kind of brown bear ammo...which I doubt I will buy again. Lots of smoke...recoil from shot to shot varied A LOT which makes me think the loads were inconsistant. I will be shooting some of that and some wolf fmj tomorrow and see what happens.

49 out my 50 shots hit the target I was aiming at. The one went into outer space. I shot and saw a pine-tree move. This was about 10 feet over the target or so. Went and looked and sure enough the round did hit the pine-tree.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top