Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2004 7:52:08 AM EDT
I am thinking of getting one for a VEPR in 5.45 for CQB type shooting.

I don't need multiple reticles like in the Kobra.  I saw those PK-AS red dots.  they look cool but I think the ones centered over the bore sit too high and I don't think i could get used to the ones that are offset to the left.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#1]
My over bore from Tantal sits a bit high but I still prefer over bore rather than side mount. I really like the red dot-black dot feature. It's a very well constructed site and I like it. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Tomac has a review of his I think in the optics section. I really don't think the offset mounting would be a problem since you shoot with both eyes open and it allows use of iron sights.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#3]
The offset PK-AS is now my fav optic for the AK (and soon to be tried on the Saiga-12! Stay tuned for the next episode of "As The Masochist Turns"...) Initially I didn't care too much for the PK-AS 'cause w/a std buttstock trying to use my left eye felt uncomfortable & unnatural. However, when I tried it w/the Romy folder I suddenly had good cheekweld & near-perfect eye position. Not everyone can get used to using the left eye w/optics so the PK-AS is not for everyone. However, my personal preference is for the original low & offset version over the higher over-the-bore version.
Tomac
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The only problem I have is my left eye is near sighted and my right eye is perfect from all the years of shooting.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:16:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Has anyone tried the PK-AV?

It may sound stupid but I really don't want an optic that I have to "get used to".  I had great success with an Aimpoint on my AR.  Once I tried the Eotech, I had a hard time due to my astigmatism and I just preferred a basic dot.  I am thinking that the PK-AV may be more of what I am looking for.

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:51:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It may sound stupid but I really don't want an optic that I have to "get used to".  I had great success with an Aimpoint on my AR.  Once I tried the Eotech, I had a hard time due to my astigmatism and I just preferred a basic dot.  I am thinking that the PK-AV may be more of what I am looking for.

Why not stick with the Aimpoint and mount it on an Ultimak rail. With the low mount, you'll get co-witnessing with both the irons and the red dot.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 1:45:09 PM EDT
[#7]
The Aimpoint is still on my AR.  I have heard mixed reviews about the Ultimak.  Do they make one for the VEPR?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Aimpoint is still on my AR.  I have heard mixed reviews about the Ultimak.  Do they make one for the VEPR?

Yes they do.

Ultimak
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have a PK-AV on a Hungarian AK.  I like it just fine, difference between the AS and the AV is:
1) The offset which you are aware of.
2) On the AS, the dot is black with the unit off/battery dead.  On the AV when the power is off, there is no dot.  Not the end of the world since you can use the iron sights with the unit mounted.
3) On the  AS, you need special tools to adjust the zero and it's inconvenient due to the location of the adjustment screws.  On the AV the scope is zeroed using conventional turret type dials.

I like my PK-AV.  Not as popular as the PK-AS for some reason.  I haven't used both, so I can't offer any 'this-over-that' advice.  But I do like it.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top