Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 6/13/2003 6:31:20 PM EDT
I plan on picking one of these rifles up but I can't stand the looks of the brake. Would like to replace it with one of the AK-USA brakes or something similar. Is there enough barrel to thread and weld one on?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 6:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been wondering the same thing.  The Sam7's shoot great! and the trigger's hard to beat - if you can get a good deal buy one.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 12:36:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to know the same question.. I was just getting on here to ask the very topic
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really like the brake on mine, but it isn't all that bad either.  It really doesn't stand out all that much when you hold one of the rifles.  I am going to hold replacing it out until after September of 2004.  Then I can add a new front sight block with a bayonet lug and with the screw job for a proper flash hider or slant brake.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#4]
So is the proper way to have the threaded front sight? Is that where the 24mm threads are, on the front sight?
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 2:46:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So is the proper way to have the threaded front sight? Is that where the 24mm threads are, on the front sight?

Yes, a threaded FSB is the way to go. On a Bulgarian rifle, the threads are 22mm though.

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:00:42 PM EDT
[#6]
What brake is this on the Bulgarian AR-M1 in 7.62x39?

Link Posted: 6/14/2003 4:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
It's supposed to be some kind of flash-suppressor, but I think a '74 brake would achieve the same look.
Link Posted: 6/14/2003 5:56:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Does this apply?

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
       BUREAU OF ALCOHOL, TOBACCO AND FIREARMS
                     WASHINGTON, DC 20226

OCT 19 2000

903050:GKD
                                                      3311/O-697

Dear Mr. Bardwell:

This refers to your letter of June 29, 2000, asking if the
externally threaded front sight base of Romanian manufactured AK-74
rifles would be considered to be a "threaded barrel designed to
accommodate a flash suppressor."  You state in your letter that the
threading on the Romanian front sight base is unlike that of AK-74
rifles manufactured in other countries.  You further state that, to
the best of your knowledge, the Romanian producers did not
manufacture a flash suppressor for their AK-74 rifles.

If there are no flash suppressors manufactured having a threading
compatible with the Romanian AK-74 muzzle threading, then it
follows that the described rifle would not have a "threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor."  However, should a
flash suppressor become available in the future that has a
threading compatible with the Romanian front sight base threading,
then the rifle would be considered to have a threaded barrel
designed to accommodate a flash suppressor.

We trust that the foregoing has been responsive to your inquiry.
If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]
                     Curtis H.A. Bartlett
                     Acting Chief,
              Firearms Technology Branch

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Despite common internet gossip, I suspect the Romanian threaded FSB does have a flashhider out there somewhere for it (whether imported into the US or not).

What about this Romanian flashhider?
www.k-varcorp.com/flashhider.html

I have to wonder if it would fit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:04:16 AM EDT
[#10]
I JUST finished doing the brake on my SLR-95.  Pulling the old brake was a bitch.  We had to cut it off after punching out the pins.  the barrel under is standard length so there is plenty of room to thread.  I purchased the die and the threading was very easy and clean.  The only thing I did different was I did not completely thread the barrel.  I left @ 1/16" gap between the back of the slant brake and the FSB.  This gave me a good space to recess the weld so it is almost unnoticable.  Next year I will be able to just cut the weld with a dremel, grind down any welding flash and then finish the threading.  
Here is a pic............

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Despite common internet gossip, I suspect the Romanian threaded FSB does have a flashhider out there somewhere for it (whether imported into the US or not).

What about this Romanian flashhider?
www.k-varcorp.com/flashhider.html

I have to wonder if it would fit.

It will fit a standard threaded muzzle but I don't know of any threaded fsb's that are 14x1. I bought one for one of my Norincos provided the AWB expires quietly.

The Bulgarian fsb's are 24mm, hence all the welded on '74 brakes on recently built kits. The Romanian fsb is 22mm for ?? reason. I guess maybe because their short barrel AK isn't a clone of the AKSU like the Bulgarian model with the conical flash hider.In the photo I have they the Romanian shorty AK's appear to be similar to the Chinese shorty which utilizes a 14x1 flash hider.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 11:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Romanian AK-74s use 22.5 mm external threads. That Romanian conical flash hider uses a 14x1 left hand twist, which is found on mostly Chinese AKs I believe.

For the SLR-95 or SAM-7, I think you're going to have to try to find a whole new front sight base for it, threaded for a 24 mm brake. AK-USA makes a brake for their AK-103 clones, and I suggest you give them a call. They could probably replace the FSB on the SAM-7 in order to put on an AK-103 style brake. Don't half ass it with an adaptor, since it'll look like crap. Try to find a military front sight base for it, and have the brake pinned and welded on, like what AK-USA does with their AK-103s.

Then again, you can always wait until the ban expires, IF it does at all. Having a removable brake is a blessing for cleaning.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 12:33:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks a bunch for your replys and clearing up the 22 mm vs. 24 mm question. Sounds like I'll purchase a FSB and wait to see what happens next year before I install it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I JUST finished doing the brake on my SLR-95.  Pulling the old brake was a bitch.  We had to cut it off after punching out the pins.  the barrel under is standard length so there is plenty of room to thread.  I purchased the die and the threading was very easy and clean.  The only thing I did different was I did not completely thread the barrel.  I left @ 1/16" gap between the back of the slant brake and the FSB.  This gave me a good space to recess the weld so it is almost unnoticable.  Next year I will be able to just cut the weld with a dremel, grind down any welding flash and then finish the threading.  
Here is a pic............

Boy you are awfull sure the ban is going to die huh?
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 2:50:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
 Boy you are awfull sure the ban is going to die huh?

Gee, lets see................
The 94 ban is written in such a way that it HAS to expire so yes I am sure.

Now, will another law be passed doing the same thing before the sunset of the 94 law?.......maybe......... and then again aliens may come down tomorrow and return Elvis!  
Both have about as much chance of happening.

Link Posted: 6/15/2003 5:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
rickinvegas

Rick I sure love that song "Blue suede shoes"...Ever take a look at the new bill allready introuduced? They are after more than you semi's...

Well you say Bush woulnt support it....WRONG!!!!

Why wrong you ask?

Well Rick, what does G.W. want to do in 2004..

Rick the answer is GET RE-ELECTED...

Rick, have you ever heard of this term "POLITICAL SUICIDE"?

Well no Mike I haev'nt, What does it mean?

I'll tell you Rick.

Imagine now "it is allready Sept. 2004, The bill is set to expire..The democrats what more restrictive gun control...the republicans vote against it...or G.W. vetos any legaslation...Whoopyy!!! Horahh We Won...$150 dollars AK's, and $600 preban ar's all day long...I need a bayonet...I just got some new ar mags for $5 a peice.....And goo times set across the land....

Now it October 2004, A man walks into a bank one Tuesday morn, every thing look normal, he's there to cash a check..The man walks to the teller...But she doent know that he has a AK-47 with a folding stock neatly tuck under his jacket...HE PULLS IT OUT..."OH NO" creis the ladie in line with her kid....The gaurd pulls his pistol..."BANG,RAT-TAT-TAT-TAT".."OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE WHAT HE DID"....

The rober fills his sack with money, one dead three wounded...The rober runs from the bank...Cops are rounding the corner, no time to run for his car...the rober enters a local school house..

The police have him surrounded, he has nothing left to lose............................The next days paper reads, "17 KILELD, 34 WOUNDED IN CHIPOWA FALLS SHOOTOUT"

Now its november, election time...Remember those bills GW voted and those bills the republicans voted down...You don't?...Well you bet your ass the DEMOCRATS DO!!!!

Then what would be the morale of this story...

The paper reads like this the morning after election "DEMOCRATS HAVE SWEEPING VICTORY OF HOUSE SENATE" and the special edition reads "HILLARY FIRST FEMALE PRESIDENT EVER"

Don't get me wrong I don't want to see anything bad like that happen, but you can bet GW's political advisors have run a scenario or two like that past the Pres...

Just my $1.25
Link Posted: 6/15/2003 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just my $1.25

You paid too much.  Jeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzz, I am not going to get into this again!

Everything you said could be true.........SO WHAT?  Someone in that bank might have a CCW and blow away the bad guy and we may wake up the next morning with them handing out CCW's in California where Arnold is the new Gov.!  What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if? What if?

I guess we will just have to wait and see................

Link Posted: 6/16/2003 5:27:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The glass is half ful for you and half empty for me, no hards feelings...I hope like hell is sunsets and never resurfaces again....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top