Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/3/2004 8:28:54 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has the weights handy for regular 30-rd AK mags and the Bulgarian waffle mags? I handled both at a recent gun show, and couldn't tell. If there's a difference, it must be slight.

I am still looking for the AK I want, so I haven't bought one yet, and the prices at the show for mags weren't all that hot, so I'm waiting til I get the gun.

2-4 oz difference doesn't seem like a lot, til you multiply it by 6-10 mags...

Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 4:15:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You talking AK47 or 74 mags?
Steel Vs. plastic? Bakelite Vs plastic?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#2]
not much difference in weight. Sheetmetal mags are all stamped from thin metal. Bakelite mags are molded thick with a thin metal frame inlaid for support on the major load-bearing points.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 10:25:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You talking AK47 or 74 mags?
Steel Vs. plastic? Bakelite Vs plastic?

Steel AK-47 versus plastic.

A poster over at another board gave me the info he had; said he weighed them himself...

Entire Mag__12.3 oz.______9.8 oz.______8.8 oz.

Mag body___8.6 oz______6.1 oz.______6.0 oz.

Follower____1.3 oz._____1.3 oz.______0.5 oz.

End-cap_____0.4 oz.______0.4 oz.______0.5 oz.

Spring with___2.0 oz.______2.0 oz.______1.8 oz.
end piece

First column is steel AK-47 mag, 2nd is plastic waffle mag with metal follower, third is plastic waffle mag with plastic follower.

This is what I had from personal experience. I had the same question myself. The waffles are lighter. There are apparently 2 types of Bulgarian Waffle mags out there, one with a metal follower and one with a plastic one. I have purchased these two types anyway. This makes up 1 oz. of weight difference. I have also heard of a waffle with a plastic end cap, which may not save much more.

I have not weighed the Norinco or chinese type mags, but they seemed lighter to me then the waffle mags.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top