Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2004 7:28:54 PM EST
I was wondering if anyone has the weights handy for regular 30-rd AK mags and the Bulgarian waffle mags? I handled both at a recent gun show, and couldn't tell. If there's a difference, it must be slight.

I am still looking for the AK I want, so I haven't bought one yet, and the prices at the show for mags weren't all that hot, so I'm waiting til I get the gun.

2-4 oz difference doesn't seem like a lot, til you multiply it by 6-10 mags...

Anyone?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 3:15:44 PM EST
You talking AK47 or 74 mags?
Steel Vs. plastic? Bakelite Vs plastic?
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 5:13:42 PM EST
not much difference in weight. Sheetmetal mags are all stamped from thin metal. Bakelite mags are molded thick with a thin metal frame inlaid for support on the major load-bearing points.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:25:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/6/2004 9:27:04 PM EST by billclo]

Originally Posted By M4_Aiming_at_U:
You talking AK47 or 74 mags?
Steel Vs. plastic? Bakelite Vs plastic?

Steel AK-47 versus plastic.

A poster over at another board gave me the info he had; said he weighed them himself...

Entire Mag__12.3 oz.______9.8 oz.______8.8 oz.

Mag body___8.6 oz______6.1 oz.______6.0 oz.

Follower____1.3 oz._____1.3 oz.______0.5 oz.

End-cap_____0.4 oz.______0.4 oz.______0.5 oz.

Spring with___2.0 oz.______2.0 oz.______1.8 oz.
end piece

First column is steel AK-47 mag, 2nd is plastic waffle mag with metal follower, third is plastic waffle mag with plastic follower.

This is what I had from personal experience. I had the same question myself. The waffles are lighter. There are apparently 2 types of Bulgarian Waffle mags out there, one with a metal follower and one with a plastic one. I have purchased these two types anyway. This makes up 1 oz. of weight difference. I have also heard of a waffle with a plastic end cap, which may not save much more.

I have not weighed the Norinco or chinese type mags, but they seemed lighter to me then the waffle mags.
Top Top