Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/25/2006 6:28:42 PM EDT
I just got done turning a post ban slr 95 into a preban style, and i need the barrel assembly repainted to match. Does anyone in Kentucky do this? Please Pm me as i need this done.

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]
saw this posted today:

parabellum.home.insightbb.com/
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
i also have a few nicks in the barrel , is there anyway to get the nicks out of the milled barrel?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 7:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
A refinish with a couple of light coats of guncoat should do the trick, if you wanted to just put the knicks under a stainless steel wire wheel before refinishing, it will smooth it out

Of course I would never recommend anything drastic to fill it like a bead of weld or anything on a barrel

Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:33:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Can the barrel be smoothed down, take all the mill marks out of it for a smooth finish?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:06:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can the barrel be smoothed down, take all the mill marks out of it for a smooth finish?

It just wouldn't be worth it (IMO).........
Shoot me an IM if you want...
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#6]
bump, how do i prep to paint?

shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:01:11 AM EDT
[#7]
bump, how do i prep to paint, i picked up some duracoat for the barrel assembly, will i need to bake it?

shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
you have to get all the dirt and oil off, and I mean all the oil too, with a good degreaser...if you can't get good gun degreaser like TCE then get simple green or something like that commercially

That's about it for duracoat, you don't have to sandblast and park like you would have to for gunkote

you don't bake duracoat, you just leave it in the sun to cure or under a hot lamp, but you don't actually do that, it is self-hardening

it is recommended to keep your metal very warm with a hair dryer before you paint

make sure your air brush container of duracoat you are spray painting with is also warm and kept warm with a hair dryer

Link Posted: 1/27/2006 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey,
I have laurel custom weaponry degreaser, should i degrease and then throw in the oven for all the grease and gun oil to come out? I have a heat lamp that i can use. will i need to prep the paint already on the barrel with sandpaper or steel wool?

Shawn
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey,
I have laurel custom weaponry degreaser, should i degrease and then throw in the oven for all the grease and gun oil to come out? I have a heat lamp that i can use. will i need to prep the paint already on the barrel with sandpaper or steel wool?

Shawn

I'd throw it in the oven first at 300 for a while and then degrease, then oven again, you can't do enough prep work for sure

duracoat goes over anything that is clean so you don't necessarily have to rough up the base paint
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:38:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks, now wher can i find a gravity fed spray gun that takes compressed air mini tanks?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#12]
harbor freight has the lowest prices
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top