Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 9:10:25 AM EDT
I jsut finished an exhaustive academic study of the AK system (by someone else) and author says its a uniquely american appelation having no russian background whatsoever,,,,,,  so who first used it for the AKS74U?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#1]
probably soldier of fortune magazine
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
probably soldier of fortune magazine

+1,I think David Isby affectionately dubbed it the "Krinkov"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:32:04 AM EDT
[#3]
What does it mean?  Is it someones name?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:38:03 AM EDT
[#4]
wasn't it the Afghani term for it during their war  with the Soviets?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
What does it mean?  Is it someones name?

The designer of the compensator his name is Krinkov.

The Brake

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Its not a Russian name for sure. Probably from SOF.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I think it was a French journalist that made up the name and it stuck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got an old (early to mid 80's I think) copy of International Combat Arms magazine when they first 'announced' the discovery of the "Krinkov". I haven't read it in ages but I will dig it out tonight and re-read the article, pretty sure the dude the Afghan locals captured it from kept calling it a "Krinkov" or something like that.

I'll look it up tonight, no scanner though but I will see how the digital camera works close up. Pretty sure it was either SOF or ICA (practically the same people) that uncovered the name.

Here is two posts from another board that basically sum it all up as good as we are ever going to know really:

Link 1

Link 2
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:41:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was slang for cigarette butt, but I see that while that may have been a pet name, the actual Russian word is something different.  Somewhat needs to look up the Russian translation for "Oh my God that thing is so sexy I want to hit it!"  Its probably Krinkov.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I've never heard that brake story though.  I'm gonna see if the author of the book I read is still alive and see what he says about that.  Book is a late cold war piece, so I dunno if he's still around.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:04:04 PM EDT
[#12]
SEE:

The Afghan War (1979-1989) has always been of major interest to students of Soviet firearms development. None are more intrigued by the conflict than Kalashnikov enthusiasts, and for good reason. Basically, it hosted the fielding and development of a number of new and innovative small arms designs, some of which were unknown until seen in the hands of Russian troops fighting in the "sandbox" of the Afghan deserts. Our subject here is the unique and slightly infamous AKSU, nicknamed the "Krinkov" by the Afghan rebels known as the Mujahideen. Some examples of this weapon were captured and used against their former owners, which provided an opportunity for foreign journalists to eventually photograph them. Thus started the beginning of a legend and the generally common use of an iconic nickname which was actually never really officially used by the original makers.

www.avtomats-in-action.com/pro22.html

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:06:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well the pics showed up with too much flash burst but the important text from the one page article is:

International Combat Arms
Summer 1984
Title:
Soviets' Secret Mystery Gun
Captured in Afghanistan, the submachinegun has finally joined the Russian Army.
Author: Ian Hogg

Quotes from the beginning and end of the article:

"Though it has generally been held that the Soviet military had forsaken the submachinegun in their development of a small arms "family" concept, the recent capture of a unique variant of the AK-74 rifle belies this speculation. The "change of ownership" of the weapon in question was effected in the Gul Dara area of Afghanistan, just North of Kabul. The present owners of this strange arm, members of an Afghan guerrilla group called "Islamic Unity for Afghanistan" provided us with the accompanying photos"
"Interestingly the finish on the metal portions of this example is well worn, and does not appear as if it was recently issued. The soldier who was relived of the weapon referred to it alternately as an "AKR" and a "Krinkof." The meaning of the latter remains a puzzle - perhaps it is the designer's name...maybe merely a slang term of some sort; we frankly do not know. We would like to hypothesize the the AKR might translate to be Avtomat Kalashinkov Ruzhya, the ruzhya meaning "hand operation".

Whatever the nomenclature means, the weapon itself appears to be a submachinegun version of the AKS-74, with an intended distribution to armored vehicle crews, command post staffs and similar personnel in need of a handy personal defense weapon. Oddly, though a number of Soviet soldiers fell into the hands of the Afghani guerrillas during the Gul Dara affair, only one possessed the AKR-all others had the standard issue AK-74s."

Thats the best I can offer you guys with out access to a scanner but the pics are nothing special and the rest of the text is stuff that is commonly known these days.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:27:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Is it worth the trouble to try to scan the article?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:36:51 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is it worth the trouble to try to scan the article?

Id be interested in it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:20 AM EDT
[#16]
What is the length of the barrel on a Krink?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#17]
About 8.5 inches
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:12:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks Cobra-Ak!
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 9:28:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, I couldn't swing a decent scanner but I managed to get some passable results. I left it uncompressed and full sized so I wont in line it but feel free to grab it from this link while you can...bandwidth isn't unlimited so hopefully it can be re-hosted.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#20]
bump for the day crowd...it was late when I posted that link
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:51:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I read where the muj in the Russo-Afghan war named it that....
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top