Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:20 PM EDT
Well I was bumpfiring my new SAR-1 and the top handguard cracked in half... I guess im gonna have to get one of thoes ventilated handguards.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I had something similar happen to my WASR10. I was doing my first field strip on the rifle and had to use excessive for to get the gas tube off. In the process I cracked the top of the front hand gaurd. I have since repaired it using wood glue, but it is definitely not made out of quality wood. Almost like a dense balsa wood :-)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:28:12 PM EDT
[#2]
You may have been squeezing the upper handguard too tight to hang on to it and that caused the crack.  Sounds like some Choate synthetic handguards are in order.  If you get the ventialted one it is gonna get hot and you will not be able to hold it there anymore for those extended shooting spurts we do!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually wasn't holding onto the top handguard. I don't know what happen. I still can't decide on which stockset to buy...
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe the heat did it then.  I can see where the wood might be stressed shaped like that and the heat may have broke the camels back.  So far I have not melted down my Choate set though they say some of the black plastic sets will melt down if they get real hot.  Let us know what you end up choosing and how it does.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:01:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I bumped 80rds reaaaaaaaaaal FAST! It was cool until I reloaded then I noticed it was cracked in half. I think im gonna try the ventilated handguard. Thanks for the comments guys.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Wood just was not trimmed properly and was preloaded to much when installed. Had a new preban Polytech do the same on first range trip and after 120 rounds. Wood is cheap, i would just get another wood handguard.

Hootbro
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:41:37 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my SARs did, with no provocation................pulled it out of the gunsafe and found that it split longwise......hey, that's why the Commie system crashed......
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#8]
aks are still the shit!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:35:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
aks are still the shit!

Don't get me wrong.............That's true. It's just that Commie QC was never the best, oh well. The other 17 Aks didn't....... Hit, or miss....

...including some "capture toys" that I managed to set the front end on fire, in a previous life.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#10]
My Romy kit had a tiny split in the center (top) of the upper handgaurd the day I got it. I think that the laminations pretty much gaurantee it will split, given time. The design is such that the maximum stress is at the top, where the wood is bent most. And it gets a nice heat-assisted drying-out every shooting session.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top