BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/8/2003 8:34:52 AM EDT
Thinking of getting one and don't know if they are any good or not---thanks
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I just ordered a vepr k- 7.62-39.I will let you know what i think when i get it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 7:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used to have a VEPR K in 7.62x39, and a VEPR II in 5.45x39 and loved both of them. I had to sell them to pay bills and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since. I've been saving up to get another of each.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 2:21:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Possible hijack of your thread, my apologies.
I am speaking with another person about trading a Ruger Mini-14 for a VEPR K in .223.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:13:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd do it in a hot minute!  Far better ergonimics, better accuracy (YES! They are!), cheaper & more reliable mags, optics rail, chrome lined bore and chamber, heavier barrel...

um, maybe you know why I sold my Mini-14.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
just another FYI.

If you wanted a cheaper .223 AK with all of the above except for a traditional rifle stock and 10 round mag limit, buy yourself a .223 Saiga -about $250 right now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2003 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#6]
OWNED ONE LIKE IT BUT THIS WEAPON IS NOT BATTLE PROVEN AND NO ITS NOT A "STONER". THE QUICK CHANGE BARREL IS FINE FOR AN LMG, NOT SO GREAT FOR WHAT WE NEED TO TOTE. I PREFER THIS OPERATING
SYSTEM TO OTHERS BUT IT HAS NO BATTLE HISTORY AS FAR AS I AM AWARE OF AND PRICEY !  
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OWNED ONE LIKE IT BUT THIS WEAPON IS NOT BATTLE PROVEN AND NO ITS NOT A "STONER". THE QUICK CHANGE BARREL IS FINE FOR AN LMG, NOT SO GREAT FOR WHAT WE NEED TO TOTE. I PREFER THIS OPERATING
SYSTEM TO OTHERS BUT IT HAS NO BATTLE HISTORY AS FAR AS I AM AWARE OF AND PRICEY !  

No battle history?  What are you talking about?  It's an RPK with shorter heavy barrel and synthetic furniture.  I think the RPK has plenty of battle history.

I have the VEPR K 7.62x39.  It is way cool.  And, yes, it is a rock-solid reliable battle tested rifle.

AV1611 out...
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
just another FYI.

If you wanted a cheaper .223 AK with all of the above except for a traditional rifle stock and 10 round mag limit, buy yourself a .223 Saiga -about $250 right now.

10 round mag limit? you mean there's no way it'll accept a hi-cap mag?
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#9]
not without a Noah-like conversion.  see the sticky at the top of this forum for instructions
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy the Vepr, and send it to Krebs to be turned into this:

or if you want to save money just buy the above rifle from Krebs!

Sorry, I visited his shop & have been drooling over one of these since!

Check out Krebs at www.krebscustom.com

Trade a Mini-14 for a Vepr? Hell ya! But I don't think I could screw over a friend like that.
Link Posted: 7/31/2003 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

thats the M96 system youre talking about. this thread is on the VEPR AK, also from Robinson Armament.
Link Posted: 8/1/2003 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
just another FYI.

10 round mag limit? you mean there's no way it'll accept a hi-cap mag?

Ok, Thanks! Didn't see it til after I posted the question.
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Drobs how much does he charge for a conversion?
Link Posted: 8/10/2003 1:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I lucked up a month ago - Local dealer had a .223 and the 7.62 in stock. I bought the 7.62x39 ....after shooting it I think it is my favorite gun ever. Have not tried to bench rest it yet (I use a bushy varminter for that)but have done a lot of blasting so far.

When you look at Krebs site you will see some fine work - I did the synthetic stock cutouts myself but it was not easy! I am planning to have Kreb's put an AK74 brake on it later and mill the front handguard. I plan to add a Kobra sight later.

It is heavier compared to my friends Bushy AR15 Shorty - AK Brake Model, but the VEPR's are battleships.
Link Posted: 8/13/2003 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Drobs how much does he charge for a conversion?

Sorry for slow reply, talked to Brian at Krebs Custom last night, of course totally asked him the wrong question. I asked him about converting a Saiga into one of those instead of a Vepr. He said they haven't quite worked out the Siaga conversion yet but expect one soon.  

He did give me some good info though on the following:

Customer's own Saiga 7.62x39 front end conversion to allow use of normal AK mags w/o pistol grip includes the following:
US muzzle break
Fore end converted back to AK Style
mag conversion
US FCG (trigger group)
Refinished Flat Black (baked on)
$550 + $20 shipping (Brian insures the hell out of it, sends it UPS Red)

Customer's own Saiga to full AK conversion = $650.

For conversion of 308 Saiga to above configurations add $100 on.

Customer supplied Vepr 308 converted to M1A mags = $150.

Customer supplied 7.62x39 Vepr converted to KTR03, the point of this reply, I have no idea!
Will have to get back to ya on that one.

If you want feel free to contact Brian at Krebbs directly by sending him an email at: [email protected]

Link Posted: 8/13/2003 8:00:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Buy the Vepr, and send it to Krebs to be turned into this:
www.krebscustom.com/RawPhotos/MAR%2003/KTR03.JPG
or if you want to save money just buy the above rifle from Krebs!

Sorry, I visited his shop & have been drooling over one of these since!

Check out Krebs at www.krebscustom.com

Trade a Mini-14 for a Vepr? Hell ya! But I don't think I could screw over a friend like that.

Very..Very...Cool!!!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 1:05:08 AM EDT
[#17]

Saiga conversions are not that hard.  Unless you're into having a "name gun" eg "I've got a Krebs!" then its probably worth saving the $550 and doing it yourself!

I've not done a conversion, but I've read the reports of a lot of people who have....

You can get a top of the line FCG (Red Star) for $80.  Nice furniture for $50 (or much less if you want). and a feed ramp for $2.

Just move the trigger to the place it normally goes (there's already a hole for it in the reciever), hook up the furniture, move the trigger guard around, and add the feed ramp to allow the old style mags and you're done.

With the furniture and fire control group replaced, your forieign parts are:

Barrel, Trunion, Reciever, Piston, Carrier, Bolt, Mag body, follower and plate.  I am not a lawyer, but this would be less than 10 imported parts and your rifle should be legal.  Just make sure you use US parts for the furniture and fire control group... and any muzzle break you might add.

I don't know if Krebs uses the Red Star FCG, but if he doesn't not only will you save a lot of money,  you'll end up with a better trigger by going this route.

I haven't found a donar Saiga to work on yet, but I'm no gunsmith and this looks like an easy project... look into it if you want to save some money.

EG: IF you bought a Siaga from CDNN for $159, spent $80 on FCG, $50 on furniture and $2 on a feed ramp you'd have spent $292 complete--- half the price of just the conversion from Krebs!
Link Posted: 8/14/2003 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I spent a total of $125 altogether on my conversion.  See my sticky at the top of this fourm for directions on how to do it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2003 11:30:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I would really like to add an AK to my collection, in the next couple of months there is several gun shows, maybe I will find something good.

Is the VEPR a milled receiver?

Is having a milled receiver worth the extra money?
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top