Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2011 7:09:50 AM EDT
There's one I'm looking at for $450 with 6 mags and sling. Is it possible to convert these to a wood stock instead of the wire folder? Seems like a decent deal.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:18:07 AM EDT
[#1]
$450 is a good price for a SAR 2.  
If it is a Romanian wire folder, replacement is as simple as removing the old stock and replacing with the wood stock of your choice.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Actually not a bad deal,really only $400 if you figure you can sell the folder for $50.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 12:40:25 PM EDT
[#3]
i'll buy the wire side folding stock from you for $50.....
buy it and hit me up
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 2:18:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Not a bad deal at all, especially if you want to sell the wire folder (which should take about 3 seconds) and and a wood buttstock to it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 9:41:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Please let me know where you are looking at this rifle so I can buy it out from underneath you : )
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:43:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd call it a good deal. I bought two SAR-2's back when they were still imported, and they ran me right at about $400.00 each with two mags, and no folder. I have a wire folder on my current 74, and it's a solid unit. I don't care for the looks, but it does seem to be more functional, and stable than an underfolder that I had on another rifle. I know a lot of guys are wanting the wire folders right now, and have been having some trouble finding them. I'd say you wouldn't have any trouble selling that folder, or trading it for a standard buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd call it a good deal. I bought two SAR-2's back when they were still imported, and they ran me right at about $400.00 each with two mags, and no folder. I have a wire folder on my current 74, and it's a solid unit. I don't care for the looks, but it does seem to be more functional, and stable than an underfolder that I had on another rifle. I know a lot of guys are wanting the wire folders right now, and have been having some trouble finding them. I'd say you wouldn't have any trouble selling that folder, or trading it for a standard buttstock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:16:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I found out it was a SAR-2 that had a defective receiver. The original receiver has been replaced by a Armory USA 5.45 receiver and re-finished. I'm assuming this is a good thing since it's most likely a better build than originally.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I found out it was a SAR-2 that had a defective receiver. The original receiver has been replaced by a Armory USA 5.45 receiver and re-finished. I'm assuming this is a good thing since it's most likely a better build than originally.

No no no. The original is better. Factory built is pretty much always preferable.

I have an armory 5.45 receiver built on a bulgarian kit and the middle rail, or top rail is slightly off. It FTFs about 1 in 100 rounds now after some tweaking, but I'm still not happy with it. Another person here just posted about a similar problem with the same receiver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
So skip on it then with the replaced receiver?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:08:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I personally would pass.

I'd only consider buying it if I could verify it functions; either by putting 100+ rounds through it, or (depending on how well you know them) taking the sellers word.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:08:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know the guy personally, but he says he's been building AKs for 10+ years and has built well over 100 rifles. Sells on gunbroker as well. Ah, maybe I'll just pass. This would be my first AK. I just want to have one for my collection. I was originally looking at the Interarms IAC 47 wood from Atlantic for $549. Maybe I'll go with that one instead; the lifetime warranty makes it a better deal.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
The SGL series would be the current way to go IMO, for either caliber.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:59:11 PM EDT
[#14]
There is nothing wrong with Armory USA receivers.  If your rifle isn't functioning correctly then it wasn't built right.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:00:11 AM EDT
[#15]
How would this receiver change affect the value? Would it still be worth $450?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll drop my two cents into the bucket here. You know, you could always just save a little longer and have your pick of any brand new AK out there. And when I say save a little longer I'm only talking maybe $300 more. That gets you entry into just about any brand excluding high end custom builds like Krebs or something. But still, you'll have pick of the litter. With that kind of patience you could get one of the new Interarms from Atlantic with change left over for ammo and mags, or something from Arsenal, or just about any good build you would want really. Take your time and get something you won't have misgivings about. Better to cry at the checkout line than cry more later.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top