Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:48:02 AM EST
Hey, great forum here. Back in 1984 I bought an underfolder Chinese AK. I loved that gun, but in 1992 I sold it to have money to take my wife home to Texas for Christmas ( I was in the Navy stationed in Norfolk at the time.) On the plus side I sold it for more than I paid for it. On the bad side I still regret it, but there are sacrifices you make for marriage.
Fast foward to now. I'm wanting a AK again so bad it hurts. I live in San Antonio and just about every month at the gun show I see Global Trades Aks for sale, along with Romanians and other various types. I like the idea of an AK made in Texas. How many of you own one, and how good are they? Also which do you like better, 7.62x39 or 5.45x39? Sorry to be so long winded. thanks for any feedback you can give me.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 12:47:37 PM EST
I don't own one and the reason is there seems to be a big question on their quality control and fixing the problems when guns are sent back. They never seem to be able to get their production up past a couple of hundred guns. I have seen exactly one for sale in AZ. Check out the Equipment Exchange and you will see that Atlantic Firearms has Vector underfolders for sale and people have given the Vector AK's a thumbs up. They are made by the company that builds uzis in Utah.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 4:21:25 PM EST
I've owned a SSR-85C for about three years now. It has been a great rifle in all areas, accuracy, reliability, and a really nice finish. The problems they've had seem to have appeared after I bought my gun when Global start using Chi-com and Eastern European parts in the same rifle. Some dude posted some pics of his new Global underfolder last week, maybe he will give us a range report. I'm willing to buy another rifle from them, but I live less than a hour from there shop. Before I buy, I'm going to wait to see what Arsenal Inc rifles cost when they hit the market (stamped rx). I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Vector underfolder either.
Link Posted: 10/3/2004 5:36:43 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 3:55:01 AM EST
I built an AMD-65 on one of their 1.6 mm receivers and it turned out great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 11:57:48 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 11:59:47 AM EST by SkullFarmer]
I had one of their SSR-85Bs and I wasn't very happy with it. It looked like a million bucks, but it kicked like a mule and quick follow-up shots were next to impossible because your sight picture would get thrown off so badly. I ended up with a bruised shoulder every time I shot it; an experience I've never had with any other AK.

I bought an SA-M7s from that other Arsenal and was much, much happier.

I sold the SSR-85B, but in retrospect, I should have kept it for the FEG receiver and used it for an AMD build.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 6:24:39 PM EST
I purchased one last week.
(Arsenal USA Underfolder, ADM-63-2UF)

I have only put 200 rounds threw it, but I am very pleased.

It is put together very well, and surprisenly tight.
I had zero malfunctions and the recoil was very light.
My only complaint is that the slant muzzle break is welded on.
I was told by Arsenal that on later models it would be removable. (once their stock ran out of barrels with the break welded on).
The bayonet lug works good, and so does the folding stock.

Another plus is that it has the best stock trigger, that I have ever felt on a military type rifle.
I don't think I will ever shoot my WASR-10 again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:20:02 AM EST
I agree with Skull. Had the same EXACT experience with my SSR-85B. Plus, I wore out/broke (?) my extractor after about 100 rounds. Never again...
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:56:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 4:13:24 AM EST
I have 2 Global Trades/Armory USA AK's and both have never missed a beat.
I want to pick up one of their underfolders myself. Go to a local show and check them out. I like the idea of talking to the guys who built the gun im looking at, not just a dealer pushing a product.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:59:19 PM EST
What is the going price for one now. at my town gun shop is a SLR-99 from arsenal of Texas. so i am think it much be a global trades . they want $775.00 used but NIB WHAT DO YOU GUY THINK. GOOD BUY OR TOO MUCH $$$$ PLUS what is blue book on it. please help.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:22:21 PM EST
Thats high in my opinion.
Look around on auction arms or gun broker to see what they are going for.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:39:07 PM EST

Originally Posted By tankerfrank:
used but NIB

They are full of shit.. It's been used but is still new in box. WTF? Over.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 3:07:56 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheRealSundance:

Originally Posted By tankerfrank:
used but NIB

They are full of shit.. It's been used but is still new in box. WTF? Over.

It was fired in the box - side near barrel has a bunch of holes in it.
Top Top