Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 11/20/2005 7:26:34 PM EDT
Whole gun is together minus the muzzle brake..

filed the extractor rail.. got the action working real smooth, now the only problem I am having is when I try to load a round from a mag...the bolt and carrier don't close all the way.

What gives..

Can't see the round at all, and it extracts like a beast. Just won't close all the way.

Teach me all mighty gurus..
Link Posted: 11/20/2005 11:52:08 PM EDT
Didja clean the barrel extension and chamber? If there is steel dust left over, paint or anything such as that in there, it'll keep the bolt from fully closing.

After that, is rail alignment, vs the lugs on the front trunnion, how aligned are they?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 7:44:05 AM EDT
Did you check the headspace withe gages?
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 10:35:45 AM EDT
Everything is clean...I'll clean it again, to make sure..

Closes fine with no round in it..

I did not check the headspace

Don't have the guages..is there any other way to check?

If the headspacing was off, how would I remedy that?

Thanks for the replys..
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 2:59:07 PM EDT
If the carrier wont go all the way with the force of the spring and a round chambered, your headspace is likely too tight. I have had a rifle where the carrier didn't close all the way when shooting, but a little tap and it would go. After about 100 rounds, it was fine.

If the headspace is too tight, you can press out the pin, hammer the barrel back a bit, and reinstall the pin. We did this on a friends rifle and it worked great. Use something soft to put on the chamber (brass) to hammer against.
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 6:40:02 AM EDT
I had that problem on one of my builds.

Is it a Ewbanks receiver? Mine was, and I had filed the extractor down enough for the bolt to pass by. But, when I loaded a mag it wouldn’t close all the way. It would stop with about 1" to go. I filed down just a little bit more on the extractor and it ran like a top. Don't take too much though!
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:19:27 PM EDT
Tried filing the rail down a little more, same problem.

69VeeWee.. when you say hammer the barrell back, do you mean out or in..

Thanks and keep the sugestions rolling..

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 5:34:14 PM EDT
by his suggestion, you would be pushing the barrel out of the trunnion ..

ie.. you would be making more room..
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 1:16:43 PM EDT
Thanks longboat..
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 3:32:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2005 3:32:25 PM EDT by Longboat]
anytime... we were all there once..
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:07:23 PM EDT
If your headspace is off, it is either because the chamber is short (unlikely) or because the barrel is pressed too far in the trunnion (more likely). It cant be more than a few thousands too far in or the pin wouldn't have gone in and the bolt wouldnt close even without a cartridge (the bolt would hit on the barrel). You can check the barrel position by measuring the gap between the bolt and barrel with a feeler guage. It should be about 7 thousands on the left side (away from the extractor). Put a spring in the chamber to keep the bolt pressed fully back when measuring. Measuring bolt gap takes a little practice but feeler guages are available for cheap anywhere (even Walmart). Details on how to measure are here.

http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18528

If the barrel is in the right position (bolt gap is OK) check the headspace to see if the chamber is OK.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 10:44:09 AM EDT
I got a set of go, no go guages...

Closes with the go guage..

Won't close with the no go.

Switched out the carrier and bolt from another kit(for shits and giggles)

Closed on both go and no go..

Chambered rounds and fired fine.

What modifications can I make on the original carrier and bolt to make it work.

Original kit was 1986. Bolt and carrier was from a 1979 kit(looked better quality than the newer kit..finish was much smoother, and more refined.)

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:02:41 PM EDT
If the original closed on the go and not the no go.. you are a go....

Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:08:57 PM EDT
Closed on the go...

But wouldn't close all the way with a round in the chamber..

suggestions
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:39:26 PM EDT
did you check with a different lot of ammo?
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:13:12 PM EDT
im with long it sounds like the ammo
or you have some crap in the barrel

i know you said you cleaned it but you might try again with some cotton and nail polish remover
i know nows not the time to think about doing my nails
pack the chamber and add the polish remover so it has a chance to eat anythang in there

btw i only said polish remover cause acetone comes in gallon cans and its kinda waistfull if you only need a teaspoon
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:22:59 PM EDT
I will clean the shit out of it tonight..

I tried some south african..withthe other bolt and carrier it loaded fine, but not with the original one.

I also tried some wolf...would not close all the way.

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:11:41 PM EDT
weird.. who did you get your HS gauges from?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:15:03 PM EDT
rented them from a guy here on the boards.

Also found one of the reasons why the original carrier was having problems..

The gas block was canted ..ever so slightly..

Couldn't realy tell by looking at it. I noticed when I tore the AK down for another cleaning that
the hole the piston goes through appeared to be a little to the right.

This made the piston bind at the end of the gas tube.

Functions fine with everything but Wolf?

One more thing..At 15 yards..the weapon shoots about 6" low and 6" to the right.

What the hell did I do to cause that..By the way, I cut the barrell down to 12.5" and added a 74 style brake. Would this have effected the poi that much.

Thanks for all the help guys...

My second build is about 55% complete...I will post pics of both.
Top Top