Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/16/2020 9:48:49 PM
Posted: 9/3/2009 2:27:06 PM EST
Here's a little about myself. I've been a motorcycle nut for several years. Mostly British Iron. Right now I have a 71 Bonneville rat bike. While looking and collecting bikes and vintage junk I've picked up a 1960 15' fiberglass Owens Speed Boat with a 75 HP Evenrude Starflight II, a 1973 Harley Golf Cart, a 84 Yammer Hammer Maxium, and a 81 Honda CB750C. I got the honda for the motor. I was going to put it in the golf cart. My back yard was starting to look like a junk yard so I started trading and selling my stuff. This is where I got my AK and a few other nice rifles. I traded my honda which I had only $50 in (it was a barn find) for a Thompson Center Benchmark Classic 22lr with a 4x12 scope and my Romanian WASR 10. The AK was a toss in, too boot kinda deal. The 22 is mint.

My AK has a 5/8' craftsman deep well socket tack welded to the sides of the front sight. It also has an AR stock that has been ground down on the sides to fit into the receiver with some serious weld around that. He did flip for a quad rail setup on the front hand guards and a new pistol grip. Very confusing! So now I'm on the hunt for a good deal on top and bottom hand guards, matching stock, a slant brake and cleaning rod to slip in the front to make it look somewhat presentable.

Thanks. I can offer some pictures if you're looking for a good laugh. ha ha

Justin
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:14:36 PM EST
pictures
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 5:39:19 PM EST
Please post - I love looking that the "hoopty" AK builds.
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 7:21:04 PM EST
+1 on the pictures . . . this should be entertaining. :)
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 1:50:14 AM EST
Originally Posted By triumphbonne71:
My AK has a 5/8' craftsman deep well socket tack welded to the sides of the front sight.

I'm dying to know why this was done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:42:33 AM EST
Ha ha. No help. You all just want to make fun of my piece. Alright, I'll get some pictures up some time today. I feel like a circus side show.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 2:30:06 PM EST
WTF
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 4:05:13 PM EST
haha, nice flash hider... kinda ingenious
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 5:04:25 PM EST
Thanks for the pics.

For the front sight;
Cope's
APEX
It looks like you should be able to knock out those two pins and take all that off at once.

For the stock, I think your stuck with it, that's some nasty looking welds and it looks like you'd have to replace the original stock tang as well. A lot of work to fix that issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2009 3:52:35 AM EST
I think for $15, that's looking like the best idea. For the rest I had a different idea. There is a good bit of weld on there, but there is also a good bit of jb weld or bondo too. I touched it with a 120 grit flap disc on my speed grinder. It took a good bit of it off without messing it up too bad. I think with a dremmel, some files and a lot of time I can get it right. The entire thing was covered with some kind of cheap flat back spray paint before I took the pictures. I used a soft wire wheel and just gave it to it. I don't think there's any way I can mess it up more than it already is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2009 12:51:27 PM EST
That's the darnedest thing I EVER saw.....Still, remove the flash and replace (at least it's a craftsman socket?) and as long as the butt-stock works what they hey. Paint it up and hold for a trade. BTW Sweet 22.

How come an anti gun leftist calls a guy with a gun when trouble breaks out?
Link Posted: 9/8/2009 7:57:05 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/9/2009 4:30:31 AM EST by triumphbonne71]
Thanks man! I was looking for a Ruger 10/22 and found this deal. You need to shoot one like this some time. Very impressive. I wish someone made a 100 round drum for it. ha ha
Link Posted: 9/10/2009 5:08:01 PM EST
that's awesome! We don't want to make fun, just that what you described was unbeliaveable. What a great project. BTW the handguard is actually a very nice one, wanna trade for something else?

You may want to post your pictures and work progress on the build it yourself section, it would be a great project to restore it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 9:58:56 AM EST
I'm going to hang on to the hand guard for now. I can't believe someone would buy hand guards like that, then weld the crap out of the receiver. Very odd. I'm just joking around about making fun. I'd make fun of it too. Ha ha. I'll post some progress pictures in that thread. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/11/2009 4:09:27 PM EST
i dont no whats worse the motorcycle or the gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 6:35:58 PM EST
Ha ha. Good point. They are both worth about the same....as scrap. At least the AK fires.
Top Top