Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 7/12/2008 8:33:08 PM EDT
I went to an indoor range today that denied my wolf because it has a bi-metal jacket.  What I'm looking for is an ammunition type that doesn't have a steel jacket so these clowns won't make me pay $12 a box for brass cased US ammo.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:30:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Go to another range!
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 6:35:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I went to an indoor range today that denied my wolf because it has a bi-metal jacket.  What I'm looking for is an ammunition type that doesn't have a steel jacket so these clowns won't make me pay $12 a box for brass cased US ammo.  Any ideas?

Reason?

The ammo has only been in use for about 50 years, so what is their issue?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Reason?

The ammo has only been in use for about 50 years, so what is their issue?

They claim the steel causes the projectile to penetrate the backstop.  It is a veiled attempt at forcing me to buy american eagle for $12 a box.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 10:30:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy one box and then shoot the hell out of the Wolf.  What's the worst that can happen?

They are liars or idiots, so who cares what they do?
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 12:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Buy one box and then shoot the hell out of the Wolf.  What's the worst that can happen?

They are liars or idiots, so who cares what they do?

In my situation its not as simple as "find another range" or "just shoot wolf".  They inspect and control all the ammo that goes in.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:29:23 AM EDT
[#7]
The Igman is also reloadable so you can save your brass if you choose to reload later or sell it to someone who does to recope some of your expense.  Not sure what part of TN your from but maybe one of these ranges is close to you.

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp?State=TN
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:03:05 AM EDT
[#8]
$12 for american eagle isn't unreasonable.  That's cheaper than midway's dealer price and cheaper than walmart is selling winchester for.

Wideners has PRVI for sale
I'm pretty sure that fiocchi is non-magnetic
surplus yugo is non-magnetic, samco and sg have it
so your choices are either yugo or new commercial

The only other non-magnetic I know of is the green mystery battlepack ammo that came in a few years back.  I opened one of those up and half was steel jacketed and half was all copper, even out of the same box.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Just remember the surplus YUGO M67 ammo is corrosive,some say more than others.  Just clean your rifle promptly including all the gas system and you will be fine,you don't need anything special just some good old hot soapy water will do the trick to remove the corrosive salts then clean and lubricate as you usually would. It's great ammo and very accurate.  It's berdan primed and non reloadable  but you can sell the brass cases for scrap.  If you want to just give some a try you can get smaller quantiles here.

www.sportsmansguide.com/net/browse/browseammo.aspx?c=96&s=953

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Found these on sale best price I have seen in a while there reloadable also which makes it nice.  From most post i have red on this ammo it seem to be very accurate also.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/39277-5.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Found these on sale best price I have seen in a while there reloadable also which makes it nice.  From most post i have red on this ammo it seem to be very accurate also.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/39277-5.html

Yes, that is good ammo.  I have fired some of it and reloaded it, performs great.  That price is not bad for top shelf stuff.  The only other option is the Yugo M75.  That has to be about the best I've ever fired.  I loaded up four or five years ago with a lifetime supply when it was about 119/case.    
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top