Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/22/2005 9:18:31 AM EDT
Does the 5.45 round rely on fragmentation for terminal effect like the 5.56 round does?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Not really it's the yawing affect...
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:23:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

+1,there is an empty space in the forward section of the bullet,on impact with soft tissue,the core of the bullet slides forward to maximize yaw.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1,there is an empty space in the forward section of the bullet,on impact with soft tissue,the core of the bullet slides forward to maximize yaw.

OK, cool.

Does the Wolf ammo have this empty space in the forward section of the bullet?

ETA - Do 74's typically have feed problems with JHP's, or are they pretty much good to go? I'm going to pick up a Tantal (local dealer has tons of already assembled kits on Ohio Ordnance receivers), and I want to order a couple thousand rounds.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:21:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I know the Barnhaul 5.45 does but I'm not sure about Wolf.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I know the Barnhaul 5.45 does but I'm not sure about Wolf.

Is that the stuff that they sell under the Monarch label?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:31:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does the 5.45 round rely on fragmentation for terminal effect like the 5.56 round does?

Motown,

The bullet jacket is a copper-steel-copper 'sandwich' as is typical of Russian-made bullets.  The jacket is far too tough for it to fragment even at the velocities that would make a gilding (copper 90%/zinc 10%) 5.56mm jacket fragment.  The 5.56mm jacket would of course have to meet the M193 or M855 specifications for jacket thickness and composition.  I see no reason if they wanted to make the 5.45mm jacket to fragment for it to do so.  They would just need to make the jacket out of the proper metal alloy and thickness.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:34:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Barnual is sold under the names Monarch and Ram. They're marked differently but they're all made by Barnual.

Both Barnual and Wolf have the airspace in the tip. The early imported Uly 5.45 did not have the airspace. Wolf HP shouldn't be a problem with feeding, as its the same length as the FMJ bullet.

Barnaul 5.45 HP is shorter and gets caught on the bullet guide/feed ramp sometimes. The 5.45 SP is said to be really inaccurate at 100 yds.

The Dynamit Nobel 5.45mm is HP but really expensive. $30 for 50 rds. It's said to be the most accurate 5.45mm avaliable.

5.45mm was designed to yaw after 2.75 inches of penetration. Then at 11 inches yawing again and with a total penetration of 20 inches, at the last few inches of its path takes a 90 degree turn.

The yawing isn't velocity dependent like the fragmentation of 5.56mm.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:44:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The FMJ bullet  made by Wolf and Barnaul are virtualy identical.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top