Looks good
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 1:02:29 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Looks that way, congrats!
Range report is due!

I am wating on my Tapco compliance parts (NOTE that I do not have a mag inserted, also FCG is not installed, to keep it legal)
Hopefully I can get some trigger time this weekend!
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 1:36:13 PM EDT
[#4]
remove the pg and give us a range report :P
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I built this AMD pistol to clear my head while considering how to build a yugo.
Then the BBT showed up with these mags from clear view investments, $29 for 4 mags in a pouch, the first batch came with dust caps also, but this time the mags look like brand new.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#6]
you should weld all the way around then remove the scres weld up the holes and make it look milled
congrats on being the first
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I'm all about function, so I like haveing two methods of securing it. I think a guy could get by without welding at all, if he can't weld. With the welds I KNOW it ain't going anywhere!
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Why couldnt you have used the old bulges and weld them to the receiver then grind it down?
You did get it built though hope it works.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Why couldnt you have used the old bulges and weld them to the receiver then grind it down?

I thouth it would be to much measureing and fitting, this just seemed qicker I guess, I did think about that though.

You did get it built though hope it works.

Why wouldn't it? I function check every weapon I build, I've NEVER had to monkey with one of my builds at the range, by the time I get to live fire testing they've all ran 100%.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:12:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought about milling the front trunnion to fit an OOW receiver.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:22:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I thought about milling the front trunnion to fit an OOW receiver.

I've heard that the trunnion will fail prematurely if you mill the bulges. I guess there isn't as much material after you take off the bulges. This works for me, do whatever you want though, just remember to post pics.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:29:57 PM EDT
[#13]
I held the Yugo trunnion next to an AMD65 trunnion to see if there was enough meat left.  I looked like it would be the same after milling.  I didn't take a caliper to it though.  You sure wouldn't want it failing though.

I was thinking that it was made with a beefy front trunnion because it was built (I think) as a grenade launcher too, and the added pressures and forces required a beefy trunnion.

Anyway, my friend bought his at Knob Creek.  I'm still working on the AMD-65s.  My latest plan is to build an AK pistol...before the AWB returns.
Link Posted: 4/28/2005 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I held the Yugo trunnion next to an AMD65 trunnion to see if there was enough meat left.  I looked like it would be the same after milling.  I didn't take a caliper to it though.  You sure wouldn't want it failing though.

I was thinking that it was made with a beefy front trunnion because it was built (I think) as a grenade launcher too, and the added pressures and forces required a beefy trunnion.

Anyway, my friend bought his at Knob Creek.  I'm still working on the AMD-65s.  My latest plan is to build an AK pistol...before the AWB returns.

All I know is that there was a thread here a while back warning not to mill it, the auther said it's been done and normally fails. So I never really explored that option. I think you're right about being built to shoot grenades also. Try it if you want. Let us know how it works.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 7:45:40 AM EDT
[#15]
"Snake break", mucho mags, big bad truck!  Great looking build!  I'd still test fire it using a loonng string!

Good Luck!
One Rusty Nut.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
... I'd still test fire it using a loonng string!...

Good Luck!
One Rusty Nut.

WHY? Do the math, it has 4 quarter inch screws holding the trunnion on, plus some welds. A lot of people weld the trunnions in, my self included, with no problems. The bolt is locked into the trunnion, so what could possibly go wrong? I intentionally only welded at the front and very rear of the trunnion so I wouldn't weaken the part that the bolt locks into.

Tell me why you're worried.
Link Posted: 4/29/2005 12:04:40 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
....Great looking build!  ......

Good Luck!
One Rusty Nut.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 10:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Fab build.   It looks great.  I am slowly getting my UF Yugo going on a Coldsteel blank.   Lots of issues to work out.  I have also been thinking  about doing a little welding to make things nicer.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 10:28:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I was looking at a Yugo Underfolder kit today

Good Job
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 9:23:22 PM EDT
[#20]
WELDED BABY YEAH!

I love my buzz box
Link Posted: 5/1/2005 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
"Snake break", mucho mags, big bad truck!  Great looking build!  I'd still test fire it using a loonng string!

Good Luck!
One Rusty Nut.

if you look at the way an ak is built there is little to no pressure on the rec/trunnion join when fireing id say there is alot more on the forward stroke
you can fire a frontend with no rec (for those of you who ride the short bus im not inviteing you to go do somethang stupid) just saying its not like its going to blowup
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 4:07:56 AM EDT
[#22]
I know a guy that held one together with toothpicks and fired it several times...just to prove a point.  I don't suggest this though!
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 4:30:04 AM EDT
[#23]
I was taught never to weld on any kind of reciever near the bolt lock up area when I was just a padiwan learner long, long ago in a galaxy not so far away.  Any welded reciever would have to be very carefully heat treated by a Jedi specializing in this kind of Dark Side Force management.  To do less might lead to a catastrophic failure in the reactor core housing (front trunion).  My Master would never condone the use of such un-natural practices!  The future is dificult to see.  Always changing it is.  Experiance teaches us!  Short cuts in construction leading to catastrophic failure of the reactor core is not worth the loss of you sight, your hearing, or the use of your hands!

(Sorry, I could not resist the temptation!  Star War E III opens in seventeen days!)

One Rusty Nut
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 4:37:45 AM EDT
[#24]
How nice..looks 100% original.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, I got to shoot it, last night and today. I think the receiver must be out of spec, the mag sat low enough that the bolt would skip over the round now and then. So I REMOVED selecter stop, then used some tin foil to space out the mag catch/triger guard just right (hey, I was at the range, I was lucky I had that many tools) with the mag bottomed on the receiver it's golden. We bumped about 400 rounds thru her, I also noted that it shot about 14" low at 25 yards, so I zeroed it for 100, and got about 3" groups. Wolf HP, dirty barrel. After she got hot the oil residue from the cosmoline started to "swett" from the hand guard.
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#26]
SWEET!  
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#27]
How did you get the FCG retainer spring to work?  It's not like a regular shepherd's hook.

I've been trying to figure that out since I opened the box.

TimP
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
How did you get the FCG retainer spring to work?  It's not like a regular shepherd's hook.

TimP

I don't think it will work with a semi-auto build. I've used "E" clips (from hardware store) on every build I've ever done, I even replaced the sheperds hook on my original Centry Arms MAADI with E clips. A lot of guys use 'em.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 5:12:36 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

TimP

I don't think it will work with a semi-auto build. I've used "E" clips (from hardware store) on every build I've ever done, I even replaced the sheperds hook on my original Centry Arms MAADI with E clips. A lot of guys use 'em.

Thanks!  I never even thought of that.

I took the original front end of the receiver, cut the bulges, tig welded them to the new receiver, did a LOT of dremelling, heat treated it, and now...I gotta go buy "E" clips.  Once I get some sort of finish on it, I'll post pics.  Meanwhile,   I've made it to post 43 without mishap.

TimP
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#30]
"E" clips, about $.10 a piece at HW store, I can't remember the size, so take your pin with you.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"E" clips, about $.10 a piece at HW store, I can't remember the size, so take your pin with you.

7/32" is what I'm told.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody else get a underfolder Yugo kit from Centerfire with black painted (I think) fore furniture?

Also they did manage to hand select a standard trunion Yugo for me.  That made the build a bit easier.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top