Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/11/2004 11:33:17 AM EST
Last Thursday Ayman al-Zawahri showed up again in a video, hiding in some cave that I know we will eventually find and entomb him in. While speaking I noticed his AK had some sort of black device under the muzzle. It was too small to be a grenade launcher and it sort of looked like a flashlight, but it was really big - say two size C batteries if it was a light.

Any ideas of what this device was? I'm still looking for a still shot or the video and I'll post a picture if I can.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:38:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By CFFuts:
Last Thursday Ayman al-Zawahri showed up again in a video, hiding in some cave that I know we will eventually find and entomb him in. While speaking I noticed his AK had some sort of black device under the muzzle. It was too small to be a grenade launcher and it sort of looked like a flashlight, but it was really big - say two size C batteries if it was a light.

Any ideas of what this device was? I'm still looking for a still shot or the video and I'll post a picture if I can.

It was a grenade launcher...

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:39:58 AM EST
GP25 Grenade launcher. Pretty sure.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:40:53 AM EST
Thanks. Why would he want a gernade launcher on a shorty AK?

Here is the link to the story here

Its still not going to help him when we find that cave.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:53:54 AM EST

Here is the link to the story here

Its still not going to help him when we find that cave.

M203s are commonly found on M4 type M16 carbines these days. Same concept.

The only real difference is that the BG-15 types don't to my knowledge use the "high-low" principle in their ammunition, which unlike the M203, makes recoil a bear.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 12:06:13 PM EST

It's not a Krink. Full size AK-74.

Funny how these AlQueda guys all still hang on to their '74's in the AK-47 world they must be living in. Maybe he greased many Ruskies with it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 3:26:46 PM EST
Well, '74s are less common there. It's more like a status symbol, with the spec-ops variants (IE: the krink, and the GP-attatched ones) being of the highest order.

As for the recoil, it varies between launcher types.
"Launcher Types" ?There are some models which use nades like the M203, and there are others which use grenades launched by 9mm blanks.

Aside from recoil, one nifty feature I (and most all Russian troops!) like about the latter version is that you can give the grenade a good hit against a wall or your boot (to activate it), and throw it like a hand-grenade (which will go off on contact, which isn't bad if the other guys see it comming).
Top Top