Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2005 3:58:00 PM EDT
Just wanted to share this pic I took at Tinaman square while on a recent trip to China.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 4:37:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Excellent photo of Tiananmen square monument.

Thank you so much for sharing!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
wasn't it just a few years ago that they actually got to use those very same AK's on a bunch of democtratic-minded students???

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I asked our guide where that took place and I was very quickly told that was a subject that wasnt to be talked about.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Is Tiannamin still surrounded by a bunch of white vans, with limo tinted windows?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
wasn't it just a few years ago that they actually got to use those very same AK's on a bunch of democtratic-minded students???

I think more like 20 years ago...  on protesting students... with AKs, APCs, and Tanks...
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:58:17 AM EDT
[#8]
What the hell were those students smoking?   Humm....APCs, Tanks, and lots ak toting soldiers.

I guess you got to choose your battles.   But as the saying goes, "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:11:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What the hell were those students smoking?   Humm....APCs, Tanks, and lots ak toting soldiers.

I guess you got to choose your battles.   But as the saying goes, "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight."

edit- Lightning made me realize how callous my post sounded.  i meant no disrespect to those who fight for freedom.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:10:39 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

They had balls - BIG BRASS ONES, and stood up for what was right and what they believed in.

Interesting photo - is that their version of our 'Minuteman Statue'?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember watching the the daytime portion of the Tiananmen massacre live on TV. I saw it on a large bank of floor room television sets in a Sears department store. It was surreal to see people protesting and advocating democracy in the middle of a Communist country. I knew right away that the fellow who stood in front of that tank column was a very brave man- the sort of person one can look up to without even knowing his name.

Tiananmen hurt the PRC government but not nearly as bad as it should have.

Galland

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 9:55:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't have thought they would let us Bluegrass Boys in-country . I bet it was different for sure..
Did you see any military packing heat?? If so what??
Thanks for the pic..

ETA: Those kids at Tin did have some monster balls..
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 10:01:11 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They had balls - BIG BRASS ONES, and stood up for what was right and what they believed in.

Interesting photo - is that their version of our 'Minuteman Statue'?

I agree. They had big brass balls, and I admire them for it. Unfortunately, the outcome was...

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Most of the military personel I saw were armed with pistols only looked like makarov holsters.  I didnt ask to see one. We were told not to take pictures of the military but no one said I couldnt have my picture made with them in the background.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Here are some cannons along the great wall.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:13:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Great pics,thanks for sharing!

The AK has been used as an instrument of opression and as a symbol of freedom,its one of the great contradictions and intriguing aspects of the Kalashnikov.The Students in Tiananmem Square,as well as the proud People of Hungary and Czhelslovakia,at great sacrafice,scored a victory against communism.They suffered heavy casualties,died fighting for what they believed in and showed the World,they've had enough.The Chinese Govt forbids discussion of the events on that day out of embarassment.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:51:18 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Anyone who looks down upon the protestors who died in Tinamen square with ridicule and derision do not have a clue what freedom is or what democracy is worth. Those young people may not have realised how dangerous thier actions were, but certainly they knew that they were taking a big risk.

Men and women have been dying for centuries for those same principles, at least at Tinamen the students didn't make a bunch of excuses about how hopeless they were, they stood up to be counted. Our American forefathers could have gave up when they realized they were up against a power that had a huge army, the most powerful navy in the world, and a nearly limitless budget, but they didn't, they stood up and resisted as best they could, and we honor thier sacrifice to this day. We should honor those who dies thier the same way. Thier lives were as valuable as anybody elses, thier goal was as noble, and thier attempts were as earnest any any other true freedom fighter anywhere else.

That is one of the problems of the AK type rifle, they have been used so often to squelch freedom and democracy, that its very image has become a symbol of oppresion. The AK is the gun barrel that communism has sprung from for nearly sixty years. As much as I love the rifles thier is a serious image issue with them, and as long as oppresive dictators espousing communist ideals arm thier stormtroopers with them, that will continue.

ETA: Those are great pictures. Isn't interesting to see how the Chinese government chooses to remember the events that took place there? I imagine that the statue has been there since long before the protest, and that is fine. It is disgusting that the government has made it a crime to even mention the events that took place there so recently.

well said, to bad they didnt topple those totalitarian pieces of shit
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top