Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/31/2006 8:51:36 AM EDT
Hi guys.  I popped in for the first time a while back for help selecting my first AK.  The WASR was not among the recommendations as far as I can remember but it has a nice price tag so I was thinking about one.

What are the major drawbacks of the WASR?  If it’s crude and not as accurate as nicer AKs that’s ok, as long as it is reliable.  I just want a reasonably priced blaster that would be up to the task if the SHTF (you never know).

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#1]
After cleaning the cosmoline off my WASR GP-10 it has performed reliably with 5 different brand/types of 7.62 .
Even when I go to the range to practice with my AR or handgun, I always bring my WASR because it's fun to shoot.  

Good luck!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:11:19 AM EDT
[#2]
The WASR is a very good shooter AK, with a couple caveats.  Hand pick your WASR if possible to check it for canted front sight, finish, and insert a mag to check it's fit.  If the WASR passes these few simple checks then buy it and shoot the hell out of it.  Just don't be offended when guys tease you because your AK doesn't have any dimples.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 9:13:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 10:39:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never had any issues with mine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:18:32 AM EDT
[#5]
my first ak was a wasr... no complaints... but be careful, you might get addicted!
(and once addicted to AK's, the lack of dimples on the wasr might bug you.)
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:22:45 AM EDT
[#6]
My oldest son is in the U.S. military and currently is playing a part with opposing forces in a training type situation.  Well, when the opposing forces were issued their weapons, guess what they got.  Yep, they got Century Arms imported WASRs with laminated stocks.  They are beating the hell out of them and they have held up so far.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
a GP-WASR-10 was my first AK,...i love it,...not one problem out of it yet,..i have re finished the wood on mine and it look great now,..i say if you get one you will be happy with it
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top