Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Page AK-47 » Russian
Posted: 1/8/2015 8:51:40 AM EST
Well, up to now, I have been very happy with my "California featureless" hybrid Saiga.

Then I was talking to my best friend yesterday. About four years ago, I sold him my last Saiga I restored that I called "plum crazy."

He put a Tapco Timbersmith set on it, and did not use the kydex paddle, preferring to use a radlock bullet button and 10 rounders. He asked me if I wanted the K-Var Nato length plum stock set, including Solar Tactical paddle back. I said Hell Yes!!!!! Of course, I am buying him lunch at a restaurant of his choice.

So today I ordered a Tapco G2 double hook FCG and a CSS bolt on handguard retainer. I already have a standard AK vented gas tube for the restoration. Life is good. The only difference from the one pictured above (the one I sold him back then) is that I am not replacing the FSB with a 24mm one and AK103 brake. I much prefer the Tactical Tri-Delta brake I have on it now.

I might add, this is the 5th or 6th Saiga I have restored in the last 8 or 9 years.... It is a disease!
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:37:53 PM EST
Started restoration. Receiver stripped (rear trigger plate assembly removed), innards stripped down, and cut for double hook FCG. Then primed with Rustoleum auto primer, and given a couple coats of Rustoleum semi-gloss black.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 7:28:28 PM EST
Now I feel silly. First, remember that I sold this to my buddy more than four years ago, and that it was the 5th saiga I did in a short period of time.

When he asked if I wanted my "plum stock set" back, I assumed it was the Plum K-Var set. Later, when we were making plans for lunch, it dawned on me that I also had what I believe to be an actual Russian red (plum) wood stock set back then, which I forgot about. I asked him today if it was plum wood or plum K-Var plastic. Here is the answer.

I have an original Russian bakelite grip to go with it! Now I am really stoked! This will be much cooler than a K-Var plastic set. My 922 is OK, already: Tapco G2 FCG +3, Tapco pistol +1, US made brake +1, US made followers +1.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 7:34:53 AM EST
in for pics
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:06:15 PM EST
FCG and pistol grip nut/screw coming from eCop, Handguard retainer coming from Carolina Shooter Supply, and picking up stock set Tuesday at lunch. I already modded the receiver for the double hook FCG. Just need to slap it all together!
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 7:41:42 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/14/2015 8:46:52 PM EST by imarangemaster]
Well, it showed up today (a week for priority mail). It was showing in Dallas this morning, but amazingly it was in Northern CA at 1 pm> Oh well, at least I got it, even if it is 4 or 5 days late. At least it is not MIA like two other packages I am waiting on for the last two weeks...

Now the problem is my days off are gone, and it will be next week when I can finish it.

Haha! My wife decided she had to run to town instead of us working on the chicken coop and yard. So.... I put it all together. I didn't bother with the bolt hold open right now. I still have the modified Tapco hammer for it, just did not want to screw with it and cutting the latch down. i'll do that on a rainy day!
Pics coming when I can take some daylight pics to do it justice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:15:01 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By imarangemaster:
FCG and pistol grip nut/screw coming from eCop, Handguard retainer coming from Carolina Shooter Supply, and picking up stock set Tuesday at lunch. I already modded the receiver for the double hook FCG. Just need to slap it all together!
View Quote

I have bought a bunch of stuff from eCop, great vendor!

Just curious, why convert receiver to double-hook? Seems much better to run a double hook in a single hook receiver, and mod the second hook both to work and to use as an overtravel limiter.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:38:13 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 8:39:57 AM EST by imarangemaster]
I just really like the idea of the redundancy of the double hook. Modifying wasn't hard. Drill a hole at the end of where the cut out would be, then used a dremel cut off wheel to cut the area in between. Touch it up with a small file, and it's done. I ran a double hook modified like you said before I did the conversion when the Saiga was stock. Cut the trigger off the bottom, and modded the bottom of the 2nd hook.

And yes, ecop is a great vendor. That's where I always find the best buy on holsters and duty gear.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 9:31:33 AM EST
damn I kinda want an AK now
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 2:37:36 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TacticalPenguin:
damn I kinda want an AK now
View Quote

Wait until you see pics! I did a "really purtty" retro build with the plum wood AKM furniture and a brown Bakelite grip. The only modern touch is the Tactical Tri-Delta break I left on it. It works EXCELLENT in conjunction with the Buffer Technologies black recoil buffer. REALLY tames the 7.62x39. Like shooting a 5.56 now....
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top