Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/21/2005 8:18:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/21/2005 8:18:30 PM EDT by danc46]
OK, just bent a flat ( my first!), bent the rails over, separated it from the jig. Do I heat treat the holes, rivet the center support, weld the rails...etc. and in what I order do I do this?
My welding setup is not yet done, waiting on the copper bar to make the correct electode.
I don't know if I can rivet the rails in yet after heat treating the axis holes because I don't have the electode yet. Can you guys clue me in on the proper order of construction?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:31:27 PM EDT
well, here is the order I do it in, but I'm not sure it's correct. I'm not even sure if this last one works 100% (sinc eI'v eonly shot ten rounds though it...

bend flat, weld rails, rivet crossbar, heat treat axis holes and ejector. Some people heat treat ejector befor einstalation, but I don't see the point, since you're going to be heating it up again anyways during welding.

I clamp the trunions in during heat treating, for support, to reduce the chance of warping, not sure if that's good or bad though.

for welding the rails, I cut two big holes in the receiver for each rail, and puddle weld up on the rail.

I'm using a wire feed though, not a spot welder.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:34:40 PM EDT
MY guess is that it's bad to clamp the trunions in there, without clampin the center of the receiver, as the last one I did was warped outwards slightly, since I only clamped the trunions, and didn't have the center support in yet. BUT I was welding the TOP rails at this juncture, (I'm using the dremel and bend method) and I was welding to fast and not cooling it down after eaach burst.

I haven't experienced warping just from torching the holes.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:02:38 PM EDT
D, going to use a spot welder after I get the electrode made. I am not sure if I can reach the welds if the cross member is riveted in. The axis holes probably should be heat treated before the rails are installed by riveting the cross member, then spot welding them. I am just guessing, but without the electrode in hand, I am not going to do anything else.
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 3:30:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 3:35:44 AM EDT by AKaTom]
After bending the flat I spot weld in the lower rails, then the trigger guard, then the center support. Easier "for me" to rivet trigger guard before the center support gets in the way. I do my heat treating after the front and rear trunnions are installed, and the bolt carrier has been fitted and the ejector trimmed. Put another way, the heat treating is about the last step for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 2:14:50 PM EDT
yes, I heat treat AFTER fitting the trunions, and making sure everything fits correctly.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:00:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 8:02:19 AM EDT by Quarterbore]

Originally Posted By danc46:
OK, just bent a flat ( my first!), bent the rails over, separated it from the jig. Do I heat treat the holes, rivet the center support, weld the rails...etc. and in what I order do I do this?
My welding setup is not yet done, waiting on the copper bar to make the correct electode.
I don't know if I can rivet the rails in yet after heat treating the axis holes because I don't have the electode yet. Can you guys clue me in on the proper order of construction?
Thanks!

Glad to hear the jig worked out... just make sure you let me know when you will be done so I can get you an address to send it to next!

Are you still planning to do a build party? Just let me know!

www.quarterbore.net/forums/showthread.php?t=306

EDIT: I found your other thread:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=25&t=201137

That's fine... just keep me informed so I know when you will be ready to ship to the next person!
Top Top