Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2006 4:49:59 PM EDT
Hello AK'ers

I have a Romanian AKM built on an OOW receiver, and I an interested in fitting a red dot sight.

I have found a side rail, but need to know if it is possible to add the optics mounting rail to the side of the receiver?  Aren't these riveted to the side of the receiver??

Anyshooters out there care to share their expertice if this addition is possible?

Care to share any expereinces or espscially instructions, which are always Greatly Appreciated!!

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Since your rifle is built you have 2 choices and one of them will be no fun.  To use the rails with rivets you will have to remove the long rivet in the rear tang (trunnion/block whatever you want to call it).  Drill more holes in the approriate locations and rivet.  

Or you can buy one of these from here.  It's like a aftermarket rail held together by 2 screws instead of rivets.  Lot easier in your predictment.  I've ordered from Doug twice and would buy again.

www.tantal.kalashnikov.guns.ru/bstmounts.html
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 5:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Tantral says "No More of the Screw In Side Optic Mounts"

What's my next option if I don't want to be cutting rivets and such???

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:03:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:37:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Does anyone make a replacement forearm/gas tube with a rail on top for mounting a red dot or holosight?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, google Ultimak or just go to www.ultimak.com, and for around 90 bucks you can pick up a gas tube picatinny rail, very secure, doesnt rattle, its actually clamped and shimmed to the barrel, there should be some pictures, also check out their photo gallery section to see some examples of it in action.  Even some contractors in Iraq are using it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I think you can get your side rail mount here.  mount.  Tantal has instuctions on his site for installation.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top