Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/3/2006 3:25:54 PM EDT
Does anyone make a side folder like ACE for the stamped AK??????
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:01:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I made an ACE style cut-the-tang adapter out of a piece of aluminum that works really well on my Maadi, you could go that route and buy one from ACE but it's a fairly permanent modification. I don't use ACE's folding mechanism but a lot guy's like them, I think they have too much wobble when folded ...

Dorsai bought an AK Galil stock adapter from Silver Shadow at a SHOT Show he went to, something like that anyway ...

If I can ever get some extra cash I'm going to figure out a Galil stock adapter for milled AK's, it just can't be that difficult and I have a lot of downtime at work ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:03:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Apache,
If you look at a Galil and the standard Galil stock, it has a circular fitting on the end.  Kind of like the end of a pipe.  If you look at the rear of the Galil receiver, you'll see a roll pin.  The pipe end of the stock fits into a socket in rear of the receiver and then the whole shebang is pinned by the roll pin.

The simple answer for a milled receiver would be to remove all of the stock tangs and mill yourself a square block with a big, round hole in it.  I actually think a good metal epoxy would hold it in place.  Insert the Galil stock and then drill a hole right through from one side to the other and pin it.  

If you take a look at the force vectors, the strength of the steel block/trunnion keeps the stock extension (pipe) in place and if it is a tight fit, won't allow side to side or up and down stresses create any movement.  Solid.  The pin simply keeps everthing in place in the receiver.  It would only appear to be suspectable to any shearing forces directly down the axis of the weapon, i.e. a very hard blow directly on the butt.  Even then, it would have to be huge to shear a large roll pin.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:08:56 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Apache,
If you look at a Galil and the standard Galil stock, it has a circular fitting on the end.  Kind of like the end of a pipe.  If you look at the rear of the Galil receiver, you'll see a roll pin.  The pipe end of the stock fits into a socket in rear of the receiver and then the whole shebang is pinned by the roll pin.

The simple answer for a milled receiver would be to remove all of the stock tangs and mill yourself a square block with a big, round hole in it.  I actually think a good metal epoxy would hold it in place.  Insert the Galil stock and then drill a hole right through from one side to the other and pin it.  

If you take a look at the force vectors, the strength of the steel block/trunnion keeps the stock extension (pipe) in place and if it is a tight fit, won't allow side to side or up and down stresses create any movement.  Solid.  The pin simply keeps everthing in place in the receiver.  It would only appear to be suspectable to any shearing forces directly down the axis of the weapon, i.e. a very hard blow directly on the butt.  Even then, it would have to be huge to shear a large roll pin.

That's kinda the idea I've had in my head, I've had several Galil's in the past and Templar's pic helped jog my memory on how they were attached. There should be a way to do it all internally but until I have the stock in my hand I can only postulate an idea, maybe have the block stick out a half inch to run the pin without having to drill the receiver and possibly keep the upper tang intact as this is a milled receiver and the tang can't be replaced like the stamped type. This is most likely my summer "figure it out" project. I wish I could find the older style Galil stock, I like the way it looks as opposed to the newer style ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:19:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I was about to post some pics to help show what I'm talking about but the photo server is down for maintenance until 9:30 PST. One of the pics is Templar's sidefolder, LOL ...

The pics may help OldTroop come up with a block for a stamped receiver. Maybe we can get Dorsai to pull his off so we can see his block ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I just might save a little more money and get the ACE folder. I dont want to get into any heavy gunsmithing. I need something that will just slide in an screw down. Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:03:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, until one of you figure this out, this is what you get.  href=http://images5.theimagehosting.com/DSCF0850.JPG
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh Oh, ACE just redesigned their cut the tang block, this is how I did mine but I made the plate as a seperate piece, this is way better than the old one: ACE Block

EDIT: Bite me MV (I can tell him that, he's my brother, LOL), you got me started on making a Galil block ...
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:15:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I just received my "Cut the tang" ACE block, stock and folding mechanism.....It took me about 15 minutes to cut the tang and install it. Damn.....that thing is nice. I haven't shot it yet, but it's ROCK solid just playing with it. No wobble at all.....my only grip is that is is really stiff to fold, but that to me is better then it being easy to fold and have a wobble.

I am very pleased thus far.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:22:56 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 9:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
OldTroop, didn't mean to hijack your post, I've had this in my head for a long time and you made me start thinking about it ...

I like Dorsai's idea of cutting off both tangs and would probably go that route on my own rifle but others may not want to be that drastic ...

So if we cut down an ACE block for milled receiver then machine the center of the block out for the Galil's circular fitting and have another round piece to fill the center of the Galil's circular fitting and have the roll pin(actually 2 shorter roll pins) hold it all together and then just tighten it down the same as the ACE milled adapter, do you guys think it might work??? Couldn't something similar be done for a stamped receiver, maybe even easier???

Modified Block

Similar to Templar's Bulgy SA M7SF

Galil Stock

Siver Shadow adapter? with tang still in place, all internal

*ALL PICS STOLEN FROM SOMEONE ELSE*
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I received my parts yesterday and hastily put them on my rifle. I cut that dang tang...haha.

I test fired it today to see how I like the feel....I am very inpressed with this stock.

I will now take it all apart and make the rear of the removed tang a little nicer and touch up blue it, clean it all up and put it back together with loc-tite on all the screws.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:24:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OldTroop, didn't mean to hijack your post, I've had this in my head for a long time and you
Galil Stock
img394.imageshack.us/img394/126/r4stock2oo.jpg

Siver Shadow adapter? with tang still in place, all internal
img332.imageshack.us/img332/3636/silvershadowadapter9em.jpg

*ALL PICS STOLEN FROM SOMEONE ELSE*

The bottom pic is from the Grenadier Precision rifle and they made the adapter for their one off contractor AK.  I inquired about having them make another one for a stamped AK, and they said they could.  When I asked for payment info I never could get another response.  I gave up trying to get in touch with them.  I don't think it would be tough to make another one.  I am going to attempt to make one this year.  I would love to have some pics to work off of though.  Dorsai, if you ever pull yours apart, post some pics of it.  They would be greatly appreciated.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Has anyone "cut the tangs" off their milled rifles yet?  I just found the milled reciever internal block last night.  My bulgy is BEGGING me to make it a folder, but it's so damn permanent.  
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:27:01 AM EDT
[#17]
MontanaVet and I will be doing ours soon, now that I don't have to go through the trouble of making a block. We probably won't be using the folding mechanism though. I'm going to throw an ACE stock on for a while until I can get my hands on the afformentioned Galil folder and do some experimenting. ACE's new block is almost exactly what I was talking about doing. Hell, if I'm going to butcher the tang on a perfectly good milled receiver I might as well drill the receiver for the pin on the Galil stock ...
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:36:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm astonished that GP's Galil adaptor was handmade.  It looks exactly like mine from Silver Shadow.  I can't tell on theirs, but mine has a sling loop on the left side.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top