Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/31/2006 1:46:55 PM EDT
I am thinking about purchasing a MAK 90.  What kind of accuracy can I expect at 100 yds.  I'm not looking for target accuracy, but I would like something "acceptable."
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am thinking about purchasing a MAK 90.  What kind of accuracy can I expect at 100 yds.  I'm not looking for target accuracy, but I would like something "acceptable."

You can expect 4 to 5 MOA with cheap ammo (i.e. Wolf or Barnaul), if you are lucky!  You might be able to get it down to 3 MOA with the right ammunition.  In my case the Steel Core Norinco produced the best results in accuracy with both my Norinco SKS and MAK-90.  

Just keep in mind that in general, the AK style weapon was designed for reasonable accuracy and ultimate reliability, nothing more.  This puppy is designed to lob bullets, it does it very well, and it LOVES doing it, while begging for more.

EDITED for grammar and spelling!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:32:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It all depends. If your rifle has a good barrel, and you are a good shooter, you get good results.

My Norinco SKS carbine shoots .5" groups at 50 yards with Wolf 122gr. polymer case stuff (3 shot groups). No scope, just iron sights, and no fancy gadgets. I did rest my support arm on the bench, but that's it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It all depends. If your rifle has a good barrel, and you are a good shooter, you get good results.

My Norinco SKS carbine shoots .5" groups at 50 yards with Wolf 122gr. polymer case stuff (3 shot groups). No scope, just iron sights, and no fancy gadgets. I did rest my support arm on the bench, but that's it.

My Norinco SKS is tons more accurate at 100 yards than my MAK-90.  I can do 1.5" to 2" with the SKS and I usually group 3" to 8" with my MAK-90, depending on the ammo used.  IMHO the MAK-90 seems WAY more picky when it comes to ammo and accuracy.  The old Norinco Steel Core ammo appears to be loaded hotter than the Barnaul or Wolf, and I get better results with the Norinco in the MAK.  

As for the SKS, it really doesn't matter which ammo I shoot through it:  Barnaul (Monarch), Wolf, Generic Soviet white box hollows, or Norinco FMJ.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The SKS by default is more accurate due to the method of operation causing less vibration, and due to the milled reciever (stamped AK recievers buckle somewhat when you fire them).

I was talking more in support of Wolf and as an example of good shooting than of comparison of the MAK to the SKS.

Also, I have a Polytech AK... at 50 yards, standing, with Wolf, shooting at an AirSoft target, it got a 2" group. When I actually try to shoot well I expect results to be far better. Not all AKs are spray only.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not all AKs are spray only.

Agreed.  I find that most AKs are accurate enough to pop a man sized silhouette @ 100 yards.

Not to hijack the thread too bad, I find that the Milled receiver (Arsenal Arms) AKs seem to be way more accurate than the stamped variants @ 100 yards.  But it all depends on configuration.  There are some Krebs custom AKs on stamped receivers that group sub 2" at 100 yards.  It is all a function of how much one is willing to spend.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
On average a MAK-90 will shoot 4"-6" groups at 100 yards with just about any ammo.  
A average man's head is 8" wide and chest is 18" wide so how much more accuracy would you need from a MAK-90 rifle?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:22:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I picked up an unfired MAK 90 a little while back and found it to have a canted front sight (way canted) at any rate after knocking the pins out and getting the sight to move on the barrel I shot 3 shot groups at 25 yards getting things lined up, I noticed 3 shot groups with all 3 shots touching (more often than not). When I got it straightened out and repinned and moved to 100 yards it is much more accurate than I expected. The only other AK I have owned was a SAR 1, but my Mak is much more accurate than my Sar1 was.
Page AK-47 » Chinese
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top