Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/7/2005 10:36:00 AM EDT
It is a 1953 Tula, seems like a decent gun, seller says that it shoots great, nice stock, minor dings & nicks.

$150.00

I can't post pics because it isn't mine yet.  I am going to meet the seller FTF on friday, any suggestions or things to look for?  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:40:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If you can get a Russian in decent shape for $150 then you should jump on it.  If it were me and after a cursory inspection everything looked good I would buy it.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, it seems like a good gun.  Should make an awesome plinker/truck/cheap fun gun.  
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 12:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Original condition Russians go for $250.00 - $300.00
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#4]
That is an outstanding price,the only reason not to buy that one is if it is a rusted piece of junk.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 3:54:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Picking it up tomorrow if all goes well...  I am giddy.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#6]
The last SKS I bought was a Russian.  I went into my local gun shop looking for a handgun when I saw a Russian SKS on the rack.  I asked to see it and saw that it was only $150!  I didn't let it leave my hand again until I put it in the safe.  It is a beautiful freshly re-arsenaled example that is near perfect.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#8]

This is the pic I was sent about the gun, but I got it.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:18:52 PM EDT
[#9]
looks nice
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks!  it seems to be all original, and is in pretty good shape.  A few dings here and there, but overall very nice with no rust.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the stock dosen't quite fit my 6'3" frame.  It will make a great truck gun though.  
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 3:54:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Looks pretty good compared to some of teh Yugo's that have been comming in lately.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:50:05 PM EDT
[#12]
That's some great wood!  nice rifle.  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:14:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Thanks!  it seems to be all original, and is in pretty good shape.  A few dings here and there, but overall very nice with no rust.  The only thing I don't like about it is that the stock dosen't quite fit my 6'3" frame.  It will make a great truck gun though.  

Please, if you do anything with that rifle, what ever you do, make sure that you DO NOT toss the original wood stock.  IMHO an sks is totally worthless if mounted on a monte carlo or fiber force stock and I would pay way less than the going price for one that did not include an original stock.

Now you need to tell us how it shoots!

Edited:  Forgot to tell you, great looking rifle.  I hope it gives you many a Saturday afternoon for plinking as well as serving its duty as your truck gun.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:34:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please, if you do anything with that rifle, what ever you do, make sure that you DO NOT toss the original wood stock.  IMHO an sks is totally worthless if mounted on a monte carlo or fiber force stock and I would pay way less than the going price for one that did not include an original stock.

Now you need to tell us how it shoots!

Edited:  Forgot to tell you, great looking rifle.  I hope it gives you many a Saturday afternoon for plinking as well as serving its duty as your truck gun.

Well, I will give a shooting report next week, I will also have more pics.  Don't worry about the stock I won't toss anything.  I may machine the Tula mark off and put my initials in though, hate that red star.  That soviet star is ugly.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2005 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#15]
just buy a new cover plate then, you will want that plate if you are going to ever resell it, they are getting more and more rare
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Good to know mike! Do they make them in chrome or gold plated?

Anybody have an easy way to get the actual lug off for the bayonet?  I am thinkin dremel...  I really don't think I will ever use it, and it will save weight.  High speed lo drag you know!  
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I just used wd-40 and a screwdriver came right off, then i proceeded to put it back on after i got it blued.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 3:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Sweet.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I'd buy that red star receiver cover off of you if you were going to get rid of it, seriously.

Nice gun BTW.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:35:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I'd buy that red star receiver cover off of you if you were going to get rid of it, seriously.
Nice gun BTW.

I was just trolling for some of the newbies, I really wont hurt the gun.  Even though it is a SKS, it is a very nice one.  However, I am planning on finding a bigger stock for it, and I now have a couple of 30 round mags for when I feel the urge to go rambo .  

Bottom line is, it is a nice gun and I won't hurt it.  

Range Report: I have shot a couple of hundred rounds shot sofar, it is a pretty accurate gun and shoots great.  I have had a few FTfeeds with the 30 rounders, but I am slowly modifing the feed lips for the mags, and it is getting more and more reliable.  With the factory 10rd box, it is perfectly reliable.  

I will try to take some pictures tomorrow and have some 100yd targets for you guys.  I am going to try to benchrest shoot it to see how much accuracy I really have to play with.    

ETA: Snowing here , so I wasn't able to go shootin.  Sorry no range pics.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#21]
The first thing I do with an SKS is get rid of the ugly ass uncomfortable wood stock.

I know that pisses off the purist's but I like to shoot more than collect.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top