Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 2/25/2006 3:05:45 PM EDT
What are the differences in foreign made recievers and the US ones?  I am going to purchase my first AK soon and would like to know some things to look out for.  I am debating on buying a gun ready to go or built it from a kit. Which is better?  Should I look for a pre-ban gun or buy and build a kit?  What are the differences?  Any help here would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Building from a kit is not the same as assembling an AR15.  Some metalworking is required.  Go the the build it yourself section and read up.  It's not rocket science, but it's not just "some assemly required" either.  

Welcome to the addiction
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
If by preban you mean 1989 or older, I would get one of thoes if I could find one. These are the true prebans.

If by preban you mean 1990-1994, I would just buy a new gun today. There is no difference between the guns manufactured now and before 1994.

As to the question of building an AK from a parts kit: if you are a person who can make things happen, go for it. If you are a little hands off, buy one assembled.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:32:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I work part time for a gunsmith who specializes in rimfire benchrest, so tooling and machinery is no problem.  I'm confident that I can build one myself, but I don't know which way is cheaper.  If I decide to just buy one new and not spend the major$$ on a true pre-ban gun tha tis probably worn out anyway, what are the better made new ones out there?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
In my opinion, the best new AK is made by Arsenal Inc in Nevada.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:41:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I visited their sight, looks like they make nice stuff, but what about something on a smaller budget?  I probably should have asked the question a little differently, what is the best bang for the buck without scraping the bottom of the barrel and getting a piece of junk?  I prefer something with wood and looking classic.  Thanks for the response
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Armory USA's SSR85C-2 rifles.  Bulgarian made from all new conponents.  1.6mm receiver, chrome lined barrel, has the 6 requiered US parts, accepts standard AK mags, and comes with either a polymer, blond wood or lamanate wood stock.  Nice fit and finish too.  Costs around $600......    Call 'em at (713) 944-3351 for more info.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Classic Vector AK from Atlantic Firearms - $499 and I think they give you an AR15.com discount:

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#8]
The best bang for your buck in a traditional looking AK is hands down the MAK 90. You can pick em up for around 350-400, they the way to go for your first AK. You can build a kit for about 150 if you know someone who has a flat bending jug and all the equipment necessary...If you have to tool up to build one your looking closer to 300 bones. However, Thats 300 bucks for one ak and the follwing AKs are gonna be 150 a pop. Thats if you uild them on ROMY G kits....The flat out best ak out there is gonna be either an arsenal, or a VEPR. You stated that you want a traditional looking AK, so the VEPR is out. Now your down to arsenals, vectors and mak 90s. You said not too expensive. Now your down to vectors and mak 90s. Vetors are great build guns and at a decent price. Mak 90s are built on a 1.5 mm reciever, making them more robust. Also WASRs are in there, but you said you want a quality gun, so we wont talk about them. Check the EE for a straight cut mak 90, and be done with it!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top