Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/17/2006 6:40:55 PM EST
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2006/04/17/kalashnikov.shtml
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 6:45:36 PM EST
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 3:09:30 AM EST
While I don't have a problem with being enthusiastic about your invention, his disparagement of the M16 makes him look more like a cranky, old fanatic. The M16 hasn't had a reliability problem since it was improved to the M16A1 design.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:57:50 AM EST
+1 about the cranky old fanatic. I like the AK, but no need to say its the BEST gun in the world.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:45:16 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dorsai:
While I don't have a problem with being enthusiastic about your invention, his disparagement of the M16 makes him look more like a cranky, old fanatic. The M16 hasn't had a reliability problem since it was improved to the M16A1 design.

+1. My uncle was in Vietnam, he had been issued one of the original M16's. He never had problems with his, believe it or not, because he didn't believe the BS about it being "self-cleaning" and he went out of his way to clean his weapon when possible after it had been used.

I don't know how he managed to get cleaning supplies, I'd imagine he got his hands on a rod and patches for a .22LR. With that said, he preferred the M14 over the M16 and didn't like the AK much because he had been shot with one. He felt the M16 is and always will be too small/light and that the AK will never be accurate enough (and it is the weapon of the enemy).

Just relating the experiences of a actual combat veteran that I know personally.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:23:32 AM EST
Since he is not a rich man by western standards, pride in his invention is all he has.

Let him think what he wants, he earned it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:54:52 AM EST

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:
Since he is not a rich man by western standards, pride in his invention is all he has.

Simply stated. Excellent point....................
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:35:20 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 8:35:43 AM EST by 3rdpig]

Originally Posted By Ineedhelp:

But notice that he waited until his friend, Eugene Stoner, was dead before he dissed the M16?

What does that tell you about him?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:42:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 4/18/2006 8:43:00 AM EST by AndrewB]
It tells me that he never would have insulted his friend. Now that he's dead, I don't thinbk he'll care much if Mr. K states his opinion of his rifle. I'm sure they went round and round about it off-camera anyway.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:31:40 AM EST

Originally Posted By Boma:
+1 about the cranky old fanatic. I like the AK, but no need to say its the BEST gun in the world.

why would he NOT believe it's the best in the world? It's the most proliferated small arm in history. Does that mean it beats other guns in the areas or accuracy or lethality, obviously not, but by this fact I'm guessing he assumes people like it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:19:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dorsai:

You have to remember he just an old commie and bragging rites is all they get. I love my AKs because they are affordable and reliable but they are not the best rifle in the world. Yes they are reliable and the quality ones are accurate but in my opinion the furniture and ergonomics on the Ar are way better especialy the saftey and sights. He is just a commie spreading his propoganda.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 11:26:27 AM EST
A Billion AK's produced? Can that number be backed up by any kind of data? I've always heard 50 millions AK's have been produced.

I believe the AK is one of the best rifles ever made. It was so revolutionary when it came out and proved to be so effective that aparently 1B were made! Doesn't mean it is "the" best, but its up there...
You need to remember it was invented in late 40's/early 50's!!! Back then it was "the" best rifle, definetly!
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:26:25 PM EST
I could care less concerning Mikhail's words. I only hope that the AK is still being produced in 100 years.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:31:20 PM EST
Mikhail is quoted as saying he would have prefered to be famous for farming equiptment.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:08:00 PM EST
This thread was interesting but now it's.......

yawn
Top Top