Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2004 11:31:21 AM EST
hey guys,

I know this is a little off topic but has anyone done a Form 4?

I just wondered what you have to do to fill one out and what else special it takes? Can you even do one without having a dealer's license?

This would be for a Benelli M1 entry shotgun... Nothing is set in stone on what I want i'm just curious and thinking of what to buy.

any information is appreciated

thanks
slov
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:05:06 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:21:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 12:24:31 PM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
Here's the ARFcom forum for the really dark side of gun-crack.

M16 Full Auto Forum

Sounds like Campy has it down for you- except he makes it sound like it ain't that bad of a wait. Even with the wait, an SBR or two and a SBS is damn tempting.

ETA direct link to handy informaiton from the above linked forum.

Handy Info For Class III/NFA

Sly
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:28:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By CAMPYBOB:
i'm doing one right now.

you can go to www.titleII.com and downloand the 04.

you fill it out (in duplicate), get both copies signed by your chief leo in the county (usually the sheriff, but other officials will sometimes suffice based upon the law enforcement structure of your area) along with his title and the date.

you get fingerprinted (again, two cards) using the fbi (atlanta office) fingerprint cards.

then you need two color (non-digital) passport type photos of your head...appearing 1-1/2"-2" tall iirc.

send it all off with $200 and wait...wait...wait some more...keep waiting...wait a little longer...then your form comes back approved with a tax stamp on it or disapproved with the reason for such provided.

guys,

If I have a spotless criminal and civil history with a 4th year federal position (temporary but still) in the DOI, National Park Service and I know the Sheriff won't have any problem signing off; do you think i'll have a problem?

What else can/have they denied people for?

Is the $200 non-refundable?

So what all can I get with just approval of the proper form and a tax stamp? I can get a short barrel rifle or shotgun or a supressor? Is that correct?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:38:45 PM EST
ummmmm....

guys ok I see that form I is for supressors...

here is something I see as a problem it says form 4 is: This is the form that most of us use -- it is the form that you will use to transfer an item from a dealer in your state. You can also use this form to transfer an item from an individual in your state.

It says "in state" so I just need to have the dealer transfer to my dealer then from my dealer to me?
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:03:03 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:26:39 PM EST
SLoV -

As long as you have no convictions or anything on your record which would otherwise preclude you from buying a gun, BATF will approve your form. Your CLEO is a different story though; they have complete and almost unfettered discretion to either sign your form or tell you to take your form and shove it. They can deny you a signoff for any reason, or for no reason at all. If they do, there's still ways around it, and there are ways to pressure them into getting a signoff anyway.

One caveat, however; if you put anything illegal or hinting at insanity or illegality on the form where it asks why you have a need for the particular weapon in question, you will likely be denied by BATF. BATF is usually pretty loose with that section -I've heard some really funny answers there- but don't try to be too cute.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 1:38:01 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/21/2004 1:38:34 PM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
RE: "If I'm denied, is the $200 refundable?"

AFAIK, that's a tax- if they don't approve you I should think they would have to return the $. (Taxation without represention" comes to mind) But I'm a novice converning AKs so I could be wrong. They may have "processing and paper work fees that come into play...

Take care.

Sly
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:27:25 PM EST

nfa guns purchased in your state require one $200 transfer...either from an individual to you or from a class II or III dealer to you.

out of state nfa firearms/devices require TWO $2oo transfers. one to a cII or cIII dealer in your state and then a second transfer to you, as an individual.

That is LAME!!!! So there is no way around this? The only way to only have to pay the tax once is purchase one from a dealer who has one in stock in Ohio?

Link Posted: 9/23/2004 5:16:10 AM EST

Originally Posted By SLoV:

nfa guns purchased in your state require one $200 transfer...either from an individual to you or from a class II or III dealer to you.

out of state nfa firearms/devices require TWO $2oo transfers. one to a cII or cIII dealer in your state and then a second transfer to you, as an individual.

That is LAME!!!! So there is no way around this? The only way to only have to pay the tax once is purchase one from a dealer who has one in stock in Ohio?

Not necessarily. If you find an NFA weapon you want in another state, it really depends who owns it, and what form its on. If its held by an individual on a form 4, then yes, you're going to have to pay one tax to get it from the individual to a dealer in your state. That also applies if its owned by a dealer in another state and is held on a form 4. OTOH, if the dealer/manufacturer has it on a form 1 or form 3, it can transfer to your dealer without a tax. Going from your dealer to you on a form 4 there is always a tax.
Top Top